PDA

View Full Version : What the view on Simoniz Glass Coat

bigblack06
11-18-2013, 10:42 PM
So my mother just got a 2013 BMW X5 she was gonna get the glass coat the dealer offered but I had opti-coat 2.0 applied to my car and was wondering if she should use that over the glass coat. What do you all think about that. Thanks in advance.

swanicyouth
11-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Glass Coat has to come off for OC to be as long lasting as it's designed to be. Why not just see how the glass coat holds up?

tlinder1
11-19-2013, 12:54 AM
Glass Coat has to come off for OC to be as long lasting as it's designed to be. Why not just see how the glass coat holds up?

I think he may actually be asking "should his mom use the OC 2.0 'instead' of the dealer Simoniz glass coat since he has OC 2.0 on his car and is experienced with it. She doesn't currently have either on the X5 is what I'm getting from his question.

cleanmycorolla
11-19-2013, 12:58 AM
I wouldn't let any dealer put any package on my car ever

So just opticoat it. :)

stilltipping3
11-19-2013, 04:24 AM

Usually a dealer has a detailer or subcontracted person that they call in on these projects. They are the middle man and make money on you by jacking up the price. So cut out the dealer and find a professional installer of this product to save.

thorsager
11-19-2013, 08:23 AM
I had Glass Coat put on a new car that I bought a few years ago. I paid way too much for it and I thought it started to break down after maybe 4 months. At the time I knew next to nothing about detailing. Who knows who the dealer has putting it on. The person is supposed to be "certified". I know in my case they put it on the same day I bought the car so there was no proper prep work. I would not have it done.

Klasse Act
11-19-2013, 08:45 AM
I just apply whatever LSP I'm using to my glass, well not everytime because I layer so much but from time to time I apply it to the glass and works great.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Hazcat
11-19-2013, 08:58 AM
I just apply whatever LSP I'm using to my glass, well not everytime because I layer so much but from time to time I apply it to the glass and works great.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

Hey brother....they're talking about the Simoniz 5 system which is a ceramic resin coating for the the entire vehicle.

I'd be curious as to how much the dealer is charging for the Simoniz coating system. BTW...it's on youtube and looks like putting on DP or Pinnacle Black glass coating.

zmcgovern45
11-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Hey brother....they're talking about the Simoniz 5 system which is a ceramic resin coating for the the entire vehicle.

I'd be curious as to how much the dealer is charging for the Simoniz coating system. BTW...it's on youtube and looks like putting on DP or Pinnacle Black glass coating.

Dealers in my area charge around $800 for this type of service... I am not sure what all that includes, but I do know that they hire a 3rd party production detail company to do the work. I chatted with one of the guys last time I was at the Lexus dealership. He was prepping a car with a cyclo polisher and some 'rocks in a bottle' compound.

I let him work, but chatted a bit about products with him... he had never heard of Menzerna, CarPro, Optimum, etc etc. He knew nothing of other coatings like Opti-Coat, CQuartz, etc. He told me I should try the polish he was using because it was the best thing they'd ever had (since he had been working), so I politely exchanged business cards with him and let him carry on.

Really nice guy, seems to like what he was doing, just needs to be further educated as to modern products and processes. Either way, I bet the 3rd party does a TON better than the dealership rotary guys would do. :buffing:

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-19-2013, 09:19 AM
Welcome to AGO.

I would Opti-Coat it.

drbll
11-19-2013, 09:39 AM

:iagree:

bigblack06
11-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for all the answers, yes I'm talking about my mother getting of those two applied. There is nothing on the car as she has not received it yet. I think I will have it opti-coated for her.

Woob
11-19-2013, 02:21 PM
Save your money and get it done right. Dealership won't care if the wrong prep is done. For all we know, they'll apply it and give you a good song and dance about its performance.