PDA

View Full Version : Waterless Wash Logistics Questions

Desertnate
11-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Now that I find myself the owner of a black car in constant need of a bath, I'm seriously looking at joining waterless wash club. The way I see it, I can greatly reduce the time/complexity (hose, bucket etc) of my maintenance washes, while expanding out the window of hand-washing opportunities to almost year-round.

I've been pouring over the threads on this topic and I think I've come to two products, UWW+ or Pinnacle. If I've done my math right based on the product descriptions, I can get 512 oz of working product of Pinnacle per bottle (1:32 ratio, so 16x32oz spray bottles), or 704 oz of UWW+ (16oz bottle, .5 oz per 22oz spray bottle).

Beyond that, I have some other logistics questions so I know what kind of costs I'm looking at and what I need to order up-front.

- How many towels will I need for a Golf/GTI sized car?
- How much waterless product will I need for a car that size?
- Will I need to bother with a spray wax as a booster since these products already have wax or sealant in them
- When the car gets really nasty from road salt/grime will following a touchless wash with waterless car wash be effective or worth the time and effort?
- How well do either of those products work in cold weather?

cleanmycorolla
11-18-2013, 04:10 PM
I use about 20 towels for a waterless wash, blue rolled edge or the green 600gsm ones.

It depends, Iuse about 20-32 OZ but i give it a good soak, i'd rather over use then under.

You can use a spray wax

And they should work well in cold weather. Depends on the weather and temp obviously.

SYMAWD
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
I use 3-4 16X24 Korean waffle weave towels (paint only, not wheels or glass) and 20+ oz of waterless wash. I would use an LSP and then use the waterless wash as my booster.

GenesisCoupe
11-18-2013, 04:31 PM
^^20 towels on the Corolla?? I use about 5-7 on my Genesis, however I don't do waterless on wheels or windows.

GenesisCoupe
11-18-2013, 04:38 PM
Oh and I use CG Waterless-RU. Great shine and results.

Desertnate
11-18-2013, 04:41 PM
I use about 20 towels for a waterless wash, blue rolled edge or the green 600gsm ones.

It depends, Iuse about 20-32 OZ but i give it a good soak, i'd rather over use then under.

You can use a spray wax

And they should work well in cold weather. Depends on the weather and temp obviously.

20 towels for a small car? I don't have the storage space for that, nor care to spend that much on the thicker MF towels if that is what is needed to pull this off.

hernandez.art13
11-18-2013, 04:46 PM
I have both Pinnacle WW and UWW+ and I prefer UWW+. It can be used for interior and exterior plus windows.

The Pinnacle works good too. But leaves wax residue on windows due to it's wax. I haven't tried it in interior though, so can't comment on that.

UWW+ is a good all around.

I like to stock up on about 6 towels when doing a WW and I just determine from there how many I will use if I'll use more or less.

I really like the cobra jr. However, I am going to stock up on these.

http://www.autogeek.net/best-waterless-wash-towel.html

Those towels are really plush...

theblob640
11-18-2013, 04:48 PM
On my Super Bee, I use about 6-7 16x16 gold plush towels just on the paint. After every wipe, I roll the edge with the dirt up so it doesn't get exposed to the paint again but still using the same side I wiped with previously if that makes any sense. I do saturate each panel liberally though, pretty much until the product starts to roll off paint. Since the concentrate makes so much, I'd rather use a little more just to be safe.

Desertnate
11-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Thanks all. It sounds like 5~6 towels should do.

How much solution do you go through? I'm trying to figure out what my, "burn rate" will be.

Any inputs on the solutions in cold conditions will be helpful too!

theblob640
11-18-2013, 05:27 PM
For me, the first time I did a waterless wash, almost used up a whole 32oz bottle. Now that I've gotten more comfortable with it, a little over 16oz.

cleanmycorolla
11-18-2013, 06:06 PM
^^20 towels on the Corolla?? I use about 5-7 on my Genesis, however I don't do waterless on wheels or windows.

20 towels for a small car? I don't have the storage space for that, nor care to spend that much on the thicker MF towels if that is what is needed to pull this off.

Yup 20 towels on my car or any car I'd be using it on. It leads to zero issues, always a fresh towel and it's not that costly when you want to be extra safe. If I'm touching my paint or anyone's I want to treat it with ultimate care.

Also I have Ultima and Pinnacle by the gallon, so over use of product really is of no concern.

geekdout
11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
At least for me I use a WW type product when there is anything more then smudges or fingerprints on the paint. But if I wipe down a panel and there is any kind of film transferring to my towel I will switch to a normal washing method.
I prefer to use a WW for a daily wipe down and afterwards I will sometimes use another product to give my LSP a boost.

ski2
11-18-2013, 07:26 PM
I'd rather spend a little more time making sure I'm not instilling swirls in my wife's non-metallic black Golf than spend extra time polishing out marring.

When the car is not dirty enough for a full ONR rinseless wash, but needs a cleaning that you might use a waterless product, I do a modified ONR wash.

I mix up just one gallon of ONR at the regular dilution rate. Soak a fluffy 600 gsm towel in the mix then squeeze out allot of the water, but not the way you'd sqeeze out say a WW that had too much water in it. So it's still very wet, but not runnning wet.

Wipe the surface (about 2'X2') with just the weight of the towel using side one, then flip it over and wipe the next area with side two. Dry both areas with another one or two 600 gsm towels. Put the wash towel back in the ONR solution, aggitate well, squeeze out excess and do two more areas--dry. ETC, ETC.

Goes really fast, only need one wash towel and a couple of drying towels. I've been doing this for the last couple of months and checked the surface with LEDs and a magnifier and seems to be working out well.

07gtcs
11-19-2013, 05:06 PM
I use my WW like a Detail Sray or when I do the Gary Dean Rinseless wash. Rinseless to me = less towels, less time and less chance of damaging the paint.