PDA

View Full Version : Drying Tip

Jaretr1
11-18-2013, 02:34 PM
First off, I need to give credit to Nick for his tip on this topic. This is my modified version of it.

Nick did a review of the new XMT Final Finish instant detailer and showed how it can be used as a drying aid to help sheet water off the car.

Well, I already do the water sheeting via my hose without a spray trigger. Just the smooth light water stream over the car. Water sheets off and this alone leaves the car 90% dry on a well maintained finish. (obviously this is a little wasteful of water so I usually do this when my car is parked on my grass so no water goes to waste). After this I take my Makita Cordless blower and blow out all the cracks and crevices and any large water spots left.

After this, I have some minor wet spots, this is when I found taking some of the quick detailer ( I am using the XMT Final Finish Detailer, but I imagine any quick detailer would work ) and spraying it on the car as I wipe away what water is left ends up leaving a spot free dry finish that also has that nice smooth to the touch feel quick detailers leave as well as whatever benefit of amped up shine and protection of whichever detailer is being used.

This is probably a totally obvious thing to do, but I never thought of it before. Its basically combining two steps into one with effective results. YMMV.

zmcgovern45
11-18-2013, 02:44 PM
This is a widely used technique. The QD spray helps to provide adequate lubrication for your drying towel and also (as you mentioned) helps to produce a streak free/spot free finish.

You may have seen some people mention using a 'drying aid'... this is often what they are referring to.

:dblthumb2:

Pureshine
11-18-2013, 02:46 PM
I still believe the less you touch the paint the better. So if you can afford a master blaster or a leaf blower I would go that way.

Jaretr1
11-18-2013, 04:44 PM
I use a Makita cordless blower. It has a decent amount of power and a charge lasts a good 10-12 minutes of constant blowing at high. Recharge time is very fast as well.

I am sure people have been using this for years, I am just much slower than the average bear :)