PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Detailing Question

herknav
11-17-2013, 06:15 PM
I got most of my questions answered in a thread by jrocket earlier this year, but now have a few more. I was given this trailer today as a project.
The owner wants the trailer cleaned/polished in preparation for wall to wall vinyl decals, so I did a quick test with a mf cloth and some 205. Looks like the 205 on a mf pad will be the winning combo.
I've decided to seal/finish the detail with Collinite 845. The question is should I wait to seal after the decals have been applied? My concern is that I've never worked with large decals and don't want to hamper their installation.

I love learning from everybody here, and feel like someone has been through this already. Thanks! :props:

RandyT

ken tuep
11-17-2013, 06:25 PM
There will more than likely be conflicting answers to your question, whether to seal before or after the vinyl decal installation.

I can see it both ways. I'd completely clean and polish first. I'd make sure there aren't any polishing oils left behind before installing the decals to make sure they adhere completely, then seal it all up.

That's how I'd try it. I've only installed factory vinyl after repainting panels. They weren't sealed before the factory installed them, so that's how I approach it also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online

rustytruck
11-17-2013, 06:40 PM
Get a hold of the company that is doing the vinyl wrap and see what the proper prep is. If the customer is having it professionally wrapped the install price should include the prep work. They may be wasting money by having you do anything to it.

dad07
11-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Polish it out leave th coli off untill the decals are installed. Then protect the remaining paint with coli.

LuxuryAutoSpa
11-17-2013, 07:57 PM
Polish it out leave th coli off untill the decals are installed. Then protect the remaining paint with coli.

what he just said

Pureshine
11-18-2013, 01:27 AM
Get a hold of the company that is doing the vinyl wrap and see what the proper prep is. If the customer is having it professionally wrapped the install price should include the prep work. They may be wasting money by having you do anything to it.

:iagree:

herknav
11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm waiting to hear from the decal guy, but I plan to hold off on the coli. Hope to have some pics soon.

Brody
11-19-2013, 12:51 AM
I would be very careful how far you go with polishing it. The paint on "most" trailers like that one is super thin.