PDA

View Full Version : First year expectations

Pages : [1] 2

jdbillin
11-16-2013, 03:05 PM
In your first year of business what expectations did you have going into it? Did you set any goals and did you meet them? How much money did you bring in?

For me at the beginning of the year I made a goal of 50 details for my first year and so far I'm at 49 so I should be able to easily reach my goal. Before any expenses or anything like that I've brought in a little over $7500.

I wanted to see how that compares to others in their first year of business. I'm trying to decide what all I should try to do different next spring. I know the first couple years are tough while trying to build the business its not my Full-time job either so its not a huge deal its pretty much just some extra spending money.

PacificAutoFilm
11-17-2013, 10:08 PM
I just started my paint protection film business. Its been one month since last friday.

I had three goals when I started:

1. Get a customer the first month.
2. Survive through winter while preparing for spring and summer.
3. Net Gross my previous income at the one year mark. ($40k)

One thing that has been working great for me is being a 1099 contractor. I currently sub-contracting out to three companies. Two of which were my past employers. Each have be providing me with at least one job a week. Which is a great income supplement!

allenk4
11-17-2013, 10:31 PM
50 details, $7,500....what does that work out to by the hour?

pikiki
11-17-2013, 10:58 PM
He average a $150 per detailing....I think is good.

jdbillin
11-18-2013, 01:27 PM
I just started my paint protection film business. Its been one month since last friday.

I had three goals when I started:

1. Get a customer the first month.
2. Survive through winter while preparing for spring and summer.
3. Net Gross my previous income at the one year mark. ($40k)

One thing that has been working great for me is being a 1099 contractor. I currently sub-contracting out to three companies. Two of which were my past employers. Each have be providing me with at least one job a week. Which is a great income supplement!

So far are you happy with doing the protection film?
I've had several customers ask me if i offered it.

I would like to do something similar but I want to be the one sub contracting out people to do the detailing for me. I just need a better customer base first.

I have roughly 210 actual detailing hours involved so far

He average a $150 per detailing....I think is good.

I just don't see how guys can make a living off of it. I know its my first year and all but I need to figure out something to help bring in more money and cut down on the time involved. I tried to make everything to where it came out the business was bringing in $50 an hour. But so far my average is a lot less than that.

I need to work on some changes for next year, I just have to figure out what. I can't devote 40 hours a week to the business yet. I just have to much going on.

Do you think I should leave things how they are and give it a few more years or am I in need of some changes?

Pureshine
11-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Your first year you won't be making $50 really would be more like $25-$35. I'm at $40 now average and when I do paint correction its $50hr. I have 3 friends that have been detailing $25+ years each and they make $70-80hr but took them years to get to that point where there only doing high end cars. People need to realize that it takes a long time to build up a large customers base and high end cars. After 2 full years my customer base is now 1/2 daily drives and 1/2 high end cars.

jdbillin
11-18-2013, 05:28 PM
Your first year you won't be making $50 really would be more like $25-$35. I'm at $40 now average and when I do paint correction its $50hr. I have 3 friends that have been detailing $25+ years each and they make $70-80hr but took them years to get to that point where there only doing high end cars. People need to realize that it takes a long time to build up a large customers base and high end cars. After 2 full years my customer base is now 1/2 daily drives and 1/2 high end cars.

I understand it take time to build the customer base. Right now pretty much all my clients are daily drivers. A few cars that are only driven during the summer and a few nice boats.

What are you percentages as far as how much you invest back in the business and how much actually makes it to your pocket?

PacificAutoFilm
11-19-2013, 05:09 PM

I would like to do something similar but I want to be the one sub contracting out people to do the detailing for me. I just need a better customer base first.

Very happy. I have been doing it for about 4 years now. Clear bra as an industry is growing crazy fast. Margins are huge. Only 1/4 is the cost of film, 3/4 all labor! That why sub-contracting is great.

I have been around a lot of detailers. My advice, stay high end! No dirty work plus huge margins.

Pureshine
11-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Very happy. I have been doing it for about 4 years now. Clear bra as an industry is growing crazy fast. Margins are huge. Only 1/4 is the cost of film, 3/4 all labor! That why sub-contracting is great.

I have been around a lot of detailers. My advice, stay high end! No dirty work plus huge margins.

You can't start of high end unless your very lucky and know lots of high end customers. so you will have to start off with the crap cars at first. For a soccer moms mini van I charge $250 todo the inside out and takes me about 6-7 hours thats $35hr

Pureshine
11-19-2013, 05:26 PM

You can't start of high end unless your very lucky and know lots of high end customers. so you will have to start off with the crap cars.

PacificAutoFilm
11-19-2013, 08:37 PM
I know its hard but if you have the skills its possible.

One thing I learned, is if you present yourself to be exclusive then high end cars will come.

jdbillin
11-22-2013, 09:19 PM

Hmm I'll have to start looking into it. Where do you buy the film at? I imagine theres many different manufactures.

PacificAutoFilm
11-23-2013, 12:12 AM
Yes there is many different film brands. Its not something you can jump into quickly, lots of training needed.

I recommend just subing out a local installer. Once your customer base is set then invest in an installer and all the equipment.

EliteDetailing
11-23-2013, 12:17 AM

I have roughly 210 actual detailing hours involved so far

I just don't see how guys can make a living off of it. I know its my first year and all but I need to figure out something to help bring in more money and cut down on the time involved. I tried to make everything to where it came out the business was bringing in $50 an hour. But so far my average is a lot less than that.

I need to work on some changes for next year, I just have to figure out what. I can't devote 40 hours a week to the business yet. I just have to much going on.

Do you think I should leave things how they are and give it a few more years or am I in need of some changes?

If you can have some one/other people help you that could help you. The hard part can be finding the right person.

jdbillin
11-24-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes there is many different film brands. Its not something you can jump into quickly, lots of training needed.

I recommend just subing out a local installer. Once your customer base is set then invest in an installer and all the equipment.

I'll have to look into it. Do you see very many repeat customers having different vehicles done or different parts of the same vehicles or is it pretty much a one time thing for them?

If you can have some one/other people help you that could help you. The hard part can be finding the right person.

Its hard to find good help. I do have one worker that just started helping me a few weeks ago and it saves so much time. It makes it worth my time to detail with a second person