PDA

View Full Version : New to The New Way Of Buffing

MikeTaylor57
11-15-2013, 06:17 PM
I was in the Paint and Body trade 30yrs ago. Used the old candies and acrylic laquer clears. Buffef with a woll pad and compound, tied on a finer wool pad and finished with a product called Ebony. I have a 2003 White Chevy Z71. Very good condition. I have purchased the Porter Cable Oscilating buffer. Not at all familiar with the new foam pads and compounds and polishes. I want to buff this and apply a good wax before winter. Looking for advice on a good starting kit. The paint to me just has minor swirls, stil has a decent gloss, it had been garaged. Any asvice would be very much appreciated.

spiralout462
11-15-2013, 07:13 PM
The best advice I can give is use 5.5" low profile pads. The Porter Cable works great with the thinner foam. I like Lake Country Hydrotechs. They are easy to use, easy to clean, and produce stellar results. As far as polishes and compounds, many products from top manufacturers will get you where you want to go. Menzerna, Meguiar's, and Wolfgang are popular lines to start with.

Mike Phillips has many great articles that will simplify things.

Welcome to AGO!

spiralout462
11-15-2013, 11:41 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-articles-mike-phillips.html?highlight=mike+phillips+articles