PDA

View Full Version : Marking microfibres for interior/wheel use

greatwhitenorth
11-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Hi, I have about 50 towels that I'm retiring to interior duty but the ones replacing them are exactly the same colour. How do you mark the old towels so they don't get mixed up? I've tried fabric die bit it only seems to last a couple washes, what can I do?
Thanks

KS_Detailing
11-15-2013, 10:51 AM
I would keep them in a separate plastic bin and just be aware to put them in a different laundry bin for wash after each use.

cleanmycorolla
11-15-2013, 12:03 PM
I keep mine in giant Costco sized sandwich bags, so no need to mark them. I mark the bag I put them in.

RAM12
11-15-2013, 12:05 PM
would marking them with a sharpie marker be a no-no?

cleanmycorolla
11-15-2013, 12:14 PM
would marking them with a sharpie marker be a no-no?

The great thing about detailing or any hobby is you can do what makes you happy, so mark it up if you want to, but I wouldn't put anything into my towels and use it. What if product causes that mark to bleed onto fabric or paint? That's why I use bags and some use containers to separate. No markings, except on the bag or bin/tub.

greatwhitenorth
11-15-2013, 12:21 PM
I do have separate laundry bins but I'm not the only person working in my shop, unfortunately not everyone is as careful with laundry as I am haha I need something fool proof

RAM12
11-15-2013, 12:21 PM
The great thing about detailing or any hobby is you can do what makes you happy, so mark it up if you want to, but I wouldn't put anything into my towels and use it. What if product causes that mark to bleed onto fabric or paint? That's why I use bags and some use containers to separate. No markings, except on the bag or bin/tub.

Makes sense to me, different bins it is. My microfiber collection is just beginning to grow and I will definitely keep them separated by use from here on out.

cleanmycorolla
11-15-2013, 12:26 PM
I do have separate laundry bins but I'm not the only person working in my shop, unfortunately not everyone is as careful with laundry as I am haha I need something fool proof

Ahhh, I see. I get that. Perhaps a small circle in the corner of the towels, couldn't hurt but ink on towels doesn't sound kosher to me. Hmmmmmm, quite the quandary.

greatwhitenorth
11-15-2013, 12:35 PM
I may try snipping one of the corners off and just hope it doesn't fray and lint

CM8 6MT
11-15-2013, 12:35 PM

I keep all my paint-only towels in plastic zip lock bags. Any towel that touches paint, compound/polish/wax gets stored in marked zip locks. All other general use towels are stored in cabinets.

You cant fool-proof detailing, it is an artform that only a few can perfect IMO.

greatwhitenorth
11-15-2013, 12:46 PM
I keep all my paint-only towels in plastic zip lock bags. Any towel that touches paint, compound/polish/wax gets stored in marked zip locks. All other general use towels are stored in cabinets.

You cant fool-proof detailing, it is an artform that only a few can perfect IMO.

I agree that detailing is an art form, however I'm not asking for a way to fool proof detailing. Just a way to make a different class of towels easy to quickly identify in a medium sized, multi person detailing establishment.

Pureshine
11-15-2013, 02:51 PM
I keep everything in marked tubes and I have a hamper in my shop that has 3 bins mark for each kind of towel. So when I go wash my towels there already separated for me all ready.