PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Trouble

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 09:33 AM
Hey there everyone. I own a '00 Grand Am GT and need advise on the rear speakers. Previous owner installed an after-market stereo and it has worked great. yesterday I noticed the left rear speaker wasn't working (original 6x9). I checked the wiring to see if I lost a connection and didn't find anything wrong. when I transfer the sound to just the bad speaker, I can barely hear sound and doesn't have any bass noticeable. Just a speaker gone bad (factory-13 yrs old)?
Also, is there anything I need to know when purchasing a replacement set (wattage, ohms, etc.) or will any I choose work fine?
Thanks for any help!
Kevin

Darion
11-15-2013, 09:58 AM
Hi. As for your speaker issue I would isolate it to the speaker by extending the wires and hooking up another working speaker to be sure its not a channel output issue with the HU. Ruling that out get a pair of replacement 6X9, I would look for a two way or three way, sensitivity db in the nineteens and 4ohm. Power handling is a bit of a non issue since most of the product out there is rated higher than the typical HU, I assume you are not running an amp?

Sound quality at higher volume is going to be limited to how clean the HU is producing its power.

PC

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks Darion. Replacement speakers it is then. The GA sound system included a factory installed amp in the trunk. i'll look for new ones with your specifications to ensure I get one that'll sound great.
With an amp, is there anything i should know before i buy that might affect the quality of the sound?
Thanks again
Kevin

chrislorl
11-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Kevin
At 13 years old, they have done their job. You will probably find they have dry rotted out when you remove them. The factory amp back then was about 15 watts per channel as compared to the 3 - 5 watts from the head unit. With that said and as Darion stated you won't have any issues with replacement, but your sound quality will be limited to what comes from the radio and amp.
his suggestion is good too, you can actually pull the speakers, inspect them, and if by chance they look good just swap them from side to side first and see if it the speaker or the output before you go any further or spend any money.

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 11:16 AM
Thanks Chris...pretty much destroyed the speaker taking it out. Been wanting for an excuse to get new ones. The wife can't expect me to drive without music right?

dcjredline
11-15-2013, 11:17 AM
Have you already plugged the right rear speaker (or another speaker all together) in place of the left to make sure in fact the speaker is blow as Darion suggested? I wouldn't just go out and buy new ones, you may find out your radio has a bad output channel on the L rear.

Romans5.8
11-15-2013, 11:18 AM
While your in there you may consider getting some amps to clean up the sound! Amplifiers aren't there to make things way louder, they are there to improve the quality of the sound at higher volumes. Think of an unamplified speaker at a particular volume like your car in 3rd gear at 70mph. It'll do it, but it's screaming, wearing faster, and doesn't have the ride quality or acceleration characteristics that it should have. Adding an amp is like shifting it into 6th at the same speed! :)

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 11:23 AM
Have you already plugged the right rear speaker (or another speaker all together) in place of the left to make sure in fact the speaker is blow as Darion suggested? I wouldn't just go out and buy new ones, you may find out your radio has a bad output channel on the L rear.

I will jump in the trunk at check it out...what is an hu?
Btw...when I select on the radio to play in the bad speaker only, I hear sound but it's not loud and doesn't sound like there is any bass at all coming out. Mean anything?
Thanks for the. Help

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 11:27 AM
Thanks Roman. It has a factory installed amp but it's old. Any suggestions? The after market stereo is a Sony Xplod.

Willy Wang
11-15-2013, 11:42 AM
While your in there you may consider getting some amps to clean up the sound! Amplifiers aren't there to make things way louder, they are there to improve the quality of the sound at higher volumes. Think of an unamplified speaker at a particular volume like your car in 3rd gear at 70mph. It'll do it, but it's screaming, wearing faster, and doesn't have the ride quality or acceleration characteristics that it should have. Adding an amp is like shifting it into 6th at the same speed! :)

I like this analogy! :)

Willy Wang
11-15-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks Roman. It has a factory installed amp but it's old. Any suggestions? The after market stereo is a Sony Xplod.

Alpine and JL Audio. Both top notch amplifiers before you start spending massive bank on brands like Focal. While a 4 channel amp is the best way to go, there's nothing wrong with a 2 channel.

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the 411 WW.. I guess I'll try and sneak a new amp by the wife then....lol
Kevin

Mazda.Mark
11-15-2013, 12:45 PM
HU= head unit

Kevin65
11-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Thx mark