PDA

View Full Version : Can Opti-Coat be applied in 50 degree weather in the garage?

artofdetailing
11-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Will I run into problems since the temperature has dropped? I know the coating cures better with heat so I figured id ask your guys opinions

Mike Phillips
11-14-2013, 02:19 PM
When I was a young kid I used to buy HotRod Magazine and I like to read the section where readers would mail in their questions and then some would be selected and answered in the magazine.

One question that I remember after all these years went like this, a reader sent in this question,

Will a big block Chevy fit into a 1932 Model T Bucket Roadster?

Here was the answer...

Anythings possible, just depends upon how much cutting and fabrication you want to do.

Key word in the answer being possible...

To your question, you can detail any car you want in any temperature but extreme cold and extreme heat are going to make application and removal less effective and more work.

Here's an article I wrote on this topic, it's kind of in-depth in a general way but the same ideas are going to apply to the application of Opit-Coat II and for that matter any coating that I know of...

What temperature ranges are best for applying compounds, polishes, waxes and paint sealants (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html)

Can you get a space heater?

Or wait to apply the coating at the warmest point of the day?

:)

artofdetailing
11-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Thank you Mike:props:

Romans5.8
11-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Small forced air multi-fuel heaters are fantastic. They will provide tons of heat and run on whatever, gasoline, diesel fuel, kerosine, etc. Just make sure to open a garage door at least part way and install a carbon monoxide detector since oxygen is a necessity for most humans! (Sounds counterintuitive but it'll produce much more heat than the cold coming in).

Small electric space heaters are effective too, you'll just need a couple to heat a small garage and will probably need to run them for a few hours to get the temp up.

I used to use a heater like that as a kid in the barn working on my car. There'd be a couple tractors, an old truck, AND my car and plenty of other stuff in a leaky barn with the door open, but that heater would get it TOASTY in there!

Mr. Heater Portable Propane Forced Air Heater — 35,000 BTU, Model# MH35FA | Propane Construction Heaters| Northern Tool + Equipment (http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200178624_200178624?cm_mmc=Google-pla-_-Heaters%2C%20Stoves%20%2B%20Fireplaces-_-Propane%20Heaters-_-174336&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=174336&gclid=CM2d2fDy5boCFQJqMgodEzIAug)

"Mr. Heater" is a popular brand. They have both multi-fuel (Diesel, gasoline, kerosine, whatever) or a propane version as linked above.

Of course, they aren't as safe as an electric heater, but with precautions (Open the garage door, use a CO detector) they are plenty safe and way more effective and efficient.

If you're not up for that, a couple of those old style (and cheap!) electric metal heaters will work wonders if you just pull the car in and run them for an hour or so to bring the temp up to that ideal temperature.

Vegas Transplant
11-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Will I run into problems since the temperature has dropped? I know the coating cures better with heat so I figured id ask your guys opinions

You have to understand what is meant by "CURE":

Once again, there is no miscommunication...just your misunderstanding/misapplication. It can take up to 90 depending on climate and heat exposure. The average time for this time of year in the US is 30 days give or take. There is no magic moment when it goes from not cured to cured. The cure time is determined by exposure to heat...not time.

I remember the first couple of syringes of the original Opti Coat (pro only) that I used. I swear it fully hardened in about a week. I had to use 3000 grit to remove a drop I missed and left on the fender. Both the current offerings take longer to harden now. That is a huge plus for the do it yourselfer and detailer's alike unless the customer is a polishing addict or likes to operate in test mode. For myself, I actually preferred the faster cure time.

Posted 4/7/12