PDA

View Full Version : How Do I remove Opti-Coat 2.0?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

HwyChile
11-14-2013, 11:14 AM
I put Opti-Coat 2.0 on a few panels of my new white Toyota last weekend, and I would like to remove it. No offense to the Opti-Coat 2.0 fans, but I am just more of a wax guy. I am not interested in fixing or otherwise keeping the Opti-Coat.

I have a new Griot's Garage 6" polisher and a selection of LC pads and Meguires UC. Will an orange pad and the Meguires UC take it off and what speed should I use on the polisher? The vehicle is Toyota Super White so I think it is a single stage but I am not sure. Is there a better compound that I can find locally for this or with the Meguires UC be fine?

By the way, I am going to go back to Collinite wax. Thanks

KillaCam
11-14-2013, 11:22 AM
You might be able to remove it with a polishing pad and m205. Try that before using UC. Least aggressive method first.

Pureshine
11-14-2013, 11:27 AM
Welcome to AGO :) You need to polish it off and Opti-coat is way better than wax and will protect your paint. If you have a new car I would Opti-coat the whole car to protect your new paint.

HwyChile
11-14-2013, 11:27 AM
What is the best way to know if it is all removed? What type of polishing pad? I have other LC pads for the polisher (white, pink, etc.). Thanks

HwyChile
11-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Welcome to AGO :) You need to polish it off and Opti-coat is way better than wax and will protect your paint. If you have a new car I would Opti-coat the whole car to protect your new paint.

No offense, but I prefer wax even if it does not last as long, doesn't protect as well, etc. I have been using waxes for years and I like them. I am not here to debate Opti Coat. For those who like it, that is fine. I just want to get it off. Thanks.

zmcgovern45
11-14-2013, 11:41 AM
No offense, but I prefer wax even if it does not last as long, doesn't protect as well, etc. I have been using waxes for years and I like them. I am not here to debate Opti Coat. For those who like it, that is fine. I just want to get it off. Thanks.

What is your reason for wanting to remove it so desperately?

If you enjoy using wax, why not simply apply a wax on top of it and still leave the superior layer of protection beneath the wax?

FUNX650
11-14-2013, 11:42 AM
What is the best way to know if it is all removed?

I am not here to debate Opti Coat. I just want to get it off. Thanks.
You're going to have to at least compound/polish the Opti-Coat until you reach the original top-coat paint-film.
In most cases we're talking about removing around 1-2u of 'Coating' film thickness.
Having an EPTG will come in handy.

:)

Bob

If you enjoy using wax, why not simply apply a wax on top of it and still leave the superior layer of protection beneath the wax?

Can't you still use wax on top of opti-coat? Or is that not possible?

Why not just wax over top of the opti coat

I am not here to debate Opti Coat. I just want to get it off. Thanks.?

Romans5.8
11-14-2013, 11:47 AM

KillaCam
11-14-2013, 11:47 AM
Why not just wax over top of the opti coat?

zmcgovern45
11-14-2013, 11:52 AM

You can apply any sort of LSP on top of any sort of coating if you want.

Topping a coating with another LSP will mask the beading/sheeting/visual properties of whatever coating you have applied, however the thick layer of protection will obviously still be present.

Also, most waxes and sealants will supposedly not last as long as expected when applied on top of a coating because they cannot bond to the surface of the coating like they can to traditional clear coat paint.

HwyChile
11-14-2013, 11:52 AM

I just prefer the waxes that I like over this product. To each his own.

As you may or may not know, putting wax on top of it is not the same as having just wax on the paint. In fact, from my understanding, waxes won't stick to it very well long-term.

Again, I am not here to be convinced to keep it, fix it, etc. I've tried it and prefer waxes for my purposes. Thanks

Romans5.8
11-14-2013, 11:54 AM
You can apply any sort of LSP on top of any sort of coating if you want.

Topping a coating with another LSP will mask the beading/sheeting/visual properties of whatever coating you have applied, however the thick layer of protection will obviously still be present.

Also, most waxes and sealants will supposedly not last as long as expected when applied on top of a coating because they cannot bond to the surface of the coating like they can to traditional clear coat paint.

Gotcha. So if you like the wax, and have already paid for expensive OC (I understand preferring wax over BUYING OC, but when it's already bought?), why not just throw a coat of a good carnauba on top to get that wet look? But like the OP said, to each their own.

HwyChile
11-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Putting wax on top of it is not the same as having wax directly on the paint. I am not worried about the expense of the Opti-Coat. I gave it away to someone. $70 is no big deal to me if I don't like a product on a $35k car. I don't want to keep a product that I do not like. I am much happier with the waxes that I use. Again, I am not here to be talked into keeping it. I know I do not want it. No offence to you guys who love it. Thanks

FUNX650
11-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Again, I am not here to be convinced to keep it, fix it, etc. I've tried it and prefer waxes for my purposes. Thanks
I understand...
What, then, are your plans to remove this 'Coating'?

Bob

HwyChile
11-14-2013, 12:02 PM
I understand...
What, then, are your plans to remove this 'Coating'?

Bob

That was my question. How do I remove it and how do I know it is removed? Somehow this turned into a convince this guy to keep it thread. LOL.