PDA

View Full Version : Winter Storage Prep for Exhaust?

ARizzle
11-13-2013, 05:30 PM
Hey there guys, I put my Subaru STi away for the winter, and to prevent against mice, I have been told to put something like steel wool or a shirt/sock filled with moth balls inside the exhaust.

What is the best way to prevent mice from getting in my exhaust? (It is also a Greddy Quad tip, and I don't want to put anything inside it that will cause it to rust or damage it. Please help out! Thanks guys!

Sincerely,

Alex

RaskyR1
11-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Sorry for the OT comment, but isn't the winter the best time to own an STi??? :D

MPBGT
11-13-2013, 05:53 PM
I usually use fine steel wool, I've never had an issue.

Here is a link to Autotrader classics and their recommendations for storing a car over the winter. It's fairly comprehensive.

AutoTraderClassics.com - Article How To Store Your Car for Winter (http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-article/How+To+Store+Your+Car+for+Winter-75174.xhtml?conversationId=78104)

Romans5.8
11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
I've always just used rags/t-shirts stuffed in the exhaust of my motorcycles. I suppose they could chew through it though, while steel wool they couldn't. Hadn't thought of that!

dchristo
11-13-2013, 07:05 PM
why not use some rat poison to get rid of the rats, then you want need to do anything else

Romans5.8
11-13-2013, 07:10 PM
why not use some rat poison to get rid of the rats, then you want need to do anything else

Because car exhaust systems and engines are expensive. Rat poison may get most but there's always that chance that some rodent is going to make its way into your garage/barn/shed and then make a cozy home inside your exhaust. Mice will stuff it full of anything they can find, rats will actually chew up pieces of metal and even chew holes in exhaust, in addition to stuffing it full of junk like the mice.

MPBGT
11-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Mice can get in the craziest places, I've never had the issue with a finished car, but some of the projects I've brought home that we're never properly stored had them. If they get in your interior or wiring it's a nightmare.

1) had them in the air cleaner
2) had them in the glove compartment
3) headliner
4) trunk
5) exhaust, but getting the car running made short work of that

ARizzle
11-13-2013, 09:05 PM
Sorry for the OT comment, but isn't the winter the best time to own an STi??? :D

Lol, I knew this question was coming :P It honestly is, but this car is like my "Ferrari" if you will. I want to keep it in pristine shape, as hopefully one day, I can get it in a magazine! To protect the car the day I bought it, I got the ENTIRE front-end of the car Avery Nano Fusion'd (which included the entire hood, and hood scoop, front bumper, headlights, fenders, A-Pillars) so pretty much the OCD package. This film pretty much guarantees that my car will never get a stone chip again! :D

ARizzle
11-13-2013, 09:08 PM
I usually use fine steel wool, I've never had an issue.

Here is a link to Autotrader classics and their recommendations for storing a car over the winter. It's fairly comprehensive.

AutoTraderClassics.com - Article How To Store Your Car for Winter (http://www.autotraderclassics.com/car-article/How+To+Store+Your+Car+for+Winter-75174.xhtml?conversationId=78104)
Perfect, thanks for the link, I'm going to have a good read through it!

I've always just used rags/t-shirts stuffed in the exhaust of my motorcycles. I suppose they could chew through it though, while steel wool they couldn't. Hadn't thought of that!
So steel wool it is! Thanks

Mice can get in the craziest places, I've never had the issue with a finished car, but some of the projects I've brought home that we're never properly stored had them. If they get in your interior or wiring it's a nightmare.

1) had them in the air cleaner
2) had them in the glove compartment
3) headliner
4) trunk
5) exhaust, but getting the car running made short work of that

That is very scary! I heard that putting dryer sheets into your car will prevent them from coming in as they hate the smell...I even heard putting moth balls in a sock and placing it in your engine also deters them.
Any thoughts?

MPBGT
11-13-2013, 09:16 PM
I've heard of the dryer sheets and mothballs. I don't know if it works, but I'm sure it won't hurt.
My opinion is the biggest mistake people make is having boxes and junk stacked around the car. It's just more places for them to hide and grab material to make nests. Keep the area around the car neat and clean and you'll be able to see any new activity.

oldmodman
11-14-2013, 02:48 AM
If you must store a car in the "open" then steel wool will keep the critters from getting in the exhaust.

But I am absolutely sold on those inflatable car bags. It keeps everything away from your car. It keeps your car dry, and clean. And, unlike a car cover, nothing is touching your finish.

Amazon.com: car capsule (http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=car+capsule&tag=mh0b-20&index=aps&hvadid=1695466024&ref=pd_sl_9dhvmzosdm_b)

CarCapsule - The Original Car Bubble (http://www.carcapsule.com/)

BillE
11-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Instead of 'steel wool' (which can rust with very little moisture), take a look at/for 'stainless steel pot scrubbing pads'. You can normally find them in the kitchen area of most stores.

Side note: I use them in the corners of the garage door, the little buggers DID try and come in that way. This did stop 'em.

Bill