PDA

View Full Version : How to handle this type of client?!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Kyle@PrecisionPolish
11-13-2013, 03:35 PM
I received a call today from

The Guild Of Automotive Restorers | Restoration Services For Classic And Antique Cars | Bradford, Ontario Canada | National Post Articles by David Grainger (http://www.guildclassiccars.com)

They are an Automotive Restoration Company around me. I have yet to return the call as I became quite intimidated upon viewing their site.

I have not worked with any older vehicles at all let alone ones of this caliber.

How should I handle this client in terms of gaining some business from them? Or should I stay away from this as I am not experienced with ages of these vehicles?

Thank you.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Here's my opinion.

They are restored cars...meaning modern paint systems and materials.

Call them up, be honest and work for them by project basis. You'll work in your comfort zone then it will slowly start to expand as you gain more experience.

artofdetailing
11-13-2013, 04:36 PM
If you are not experienced, I would keep the detail simple. Wash and a good All-in-one product to earn there business.

Flash Gordon
11-13-2013, 05:16 PM
I received a call today from

The Guild Of Automotive Restorers | Restoration Services For Classic And Antique Cars | Bradford, Ontario Canada | National Post Articles by David Grainger (http://www.guildclassiccars.com)

They are an Automotive Restoration Company around me. I have yet to return the call as I became quite intimidated upon viewing their site.

I have not worked with any older vehicles at all let alone ones of this caliber.

How should I handle this client in terms of gaining some business from them? Or should I stay away from this as I am not experienced with ages of these vehicles?

Thank you.

I would not be intimidated by their title. More then likely they probably still think rotary & wool is the way to detail

VP Mark
11-13-2013, 05:43 PM
If you aren't comfortable do not take the business.

That being said, don't not call because you are afraid of failed expectations. Sink or swim, sometimes you just have to get in the water and try.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Dr_Pain
11-13-2013, 05:56 PM
My approach would be a "reversed interview". I would call and make an appointment to go have a face to face at their shop to inspect, and discuss the tentative work they are looking for you to do. I would not dive into what you do and try to "polish" your resume. There is obviously a reason they contacted you.

The "reverse interview" gives you more control and settles the nerves. You are asking the questions and trying to find their knowledge of what you do. If they are legit and up to par, THEN you can hammer what you are willing to take on and what does not "fit in your schedule" or may "interfere with your regular operation". You are not turning them down and show willingness and may even open the door to "help them out" but.....

davidg
11-13-2013, 06:42 PM
"If you don't hang your balls out there and just do it, you'll never know what might have happened." -Valentino Rossi

TopThatDetail
11-13-2013, 07:33 PM
My approach would be a "reversed interview". I would call and make an appointment to go have a face to face at their shop to inspect, and discuss the tentative work they are looking for you to do. I would not dive into what you do and try to "polish" your resume. There is obviously a reason they contacted you.

The "reverse interview" gives you more control and settles the nerves. You are asking the questions and trying to find their knowledge of what you do. If they are legit and up to par, THEN you can hammer what you are willing to take on and what does not "fit in your schedule" or may "interfere with your regular operation". You are not turning them down and show willingness and may even open the door to "help them out" but.....

Great idea!

thebamboo23
11-13-2013, 11:36 PM
i personally think its always best to talk face to face. that way there is no misinterpretation of anything

they have questions you have answers and vice versa

take some products and tools

and get it going

Hazcat
11-14-2013, 01:30 AM
From viewing your website I see no reason to be intimidated. Looks like you have a lot to offer. If we weren't so far apart I'd help you out with deep paint correction which is the only thing I didn't see on your website.

Cosmin
11-14-2013, 07:17 PM
just take care so you don`t end up with a steering wheel or a door handle in your hand :)
old cars tend to do that ....

how to handle an account like that , go there and see what`s all about , what they want , and what you can offer, find a middle based of you capabilities and bank :D

EliteDetailing
11-14-2013, 07:31 PM
Here's my opinion.

They are restored cars...meaning modern paint systems and materials.

Call them up, be honest and work for them by project basis. You'll work in your comfort zone then it will slowly start to expand as you gain more experience.

Yes I agree. Don't oversell what you can do. Be honest and only take on what you know you can handle. Best wishes!

parttimer
11-14-2013, 10:20 PM
I guess why would you handle them any different?

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk 2

custmsprty
11-14-2013, 10:58 PM

Great advice :dblthumb2:

rmagnus
11-15-2013, 08:34 PM
OP this is a great opportunity to work on some great cars. Yea I know paint is paint but I'd much rather work on a cool or elite car than just a beater.

See what they have in mind and put a proposal together for them.