PDA

View Full Version : water spots

stilltipping3
11-13-2013, 01:44 AM
Hey guys, I usually polish out hardcore water spots but I bought a water spot remover the other day to try it out. It didn't really take them out but these are probably the worst that I have ever come across. It seems people in FLORIDA have this problem. Good thing it's my friends car and I don't have to worry about it. I was just testing out this product. What do u guys use products wise? Lol

Pureshine
11-13-2013, 02:27 AM
I usually polish them out to I haven't found anything that really works better than polishing them out. Maybe someone else has a product they use.

stilltipping3
11-13-2013, 03:19 AM
ya, I feel like I wasted $22 on a gal of spot remover but im sure these are INCREDIBLE HULK spots. LOL They laughed at me when I tried the product. Maybe its good for week old spots not yrs old spots.:bash::dunno:

lawrenceSA
11-13-2013, 04:06 AM
I usually polish them out to I haven't found anything that really works better than polishing them out. Maybe someone else has a product they use.

Is there some sort of norm (sounds crazy just typing that - I know there can't be a norm as such....) as to how deep the water spots can etch into the clear, or are they able (if left long enough) to eat right through it.

The reason I ask is because I would like to understand, in the absence of a PTG, would it always be safe to chase getting water spots out through polishing, or can they really be deep enough that trying to polish them out could lead to a clear coat burn through....?

Apologies for the very vague question. Hopefully the responses won't be. Feed back please

stilltipping3
11-13-2013, 04:13 AM
Is there some sort of norm (sounds crazy just typing that - I know there can't be a norm as such....) as to how deep the water spots can etch into the clear, or are they able (if left long enough) to eat right through it.

The reason I ask is because I would like to understand, in the absence of a PTG, would it always be safe to chase getting water spots out through polishing, or can they really be deep enough that trying to polish them out could lead to a clear coat burn through....?

Apologies for the very vague question. Hopefully the responses won't be. Feed back please

Mike P has a video on it. Check it out. Im sure that if you polish them all the time and its the same car on the same area you will eventually cut the clear down enough to get to the paint. I hope this spot remover get out the spots that haven't been on so long as not to have to polish. Although, all my work involves polishing anyways...lol I don't do car washes unless it is leading to a clay, compound and polish.

Evan.J
11-13-2013, 07:12 AM
It depends on what type of water spots they are. As you may or may not know there are 3 types of water spots:

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/33499-3-types-water-spots-type-i-type-ii-type-iii.html

Type I: This is the only kind that can be removed with out polishing the paint. With this type you can use a spray product like a quick detailer and remove these with a towel.

Type II can also be removed by a detailer but what you will find is that there will be some below the surface defects remaining which will need some attention by polishing.

Type III Is mostly found on single stage paints and the etching will go down into the paint requiring attention with a polisher as well.

Most of the time you will run into either Type I or Type II when it comes to vehicles and you will have to determine the best course of action by what you see on the paint.

ken tuep
11-13-2013, 07:22 AM
I've used white vinegar for some spotting. It works when the spots are built up on top of the surface, and removes what whatever minerals are present.

It doesn't work on all water spots though, etched spots require polishing, and sometimes compounding to remove them.

I've never polished far enough after water spots to burn through the paint.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using AG Online