PDA

View Full Version : First time washer!

stehphencovar
11-12-2013, 10:10 PM
Hey everyone! I'll be washing my 2013 Mustang GT myself for the first time and I just want to make sure that I am getting the right products to wash my car. Now, I won't be able to detail at the moment so I am hoping this is a good start until I purchase everything need to detail my car thoroughly. Any input and advice would be greatly appreciated. Here is my list:

2x 5 Gallon Wash Bucket with grit guards
1x Aussie Merino Wool Wash Mitt
1x Supreme Guzzler 20 x 40 (for drying body)
1x Guzzler 16 x 24 (for drying body)
1x safe Scrub bug & tar pad
1x 8 inch Montana Boars hair brush (to clean wheels)
1x Short handle tire/wheel brush (for tires)
1 Waffle weave microfiber Glass towel (for exterior and interior glass)
6 pack black microfiber all purpose wheel towels (for drying wheels)
6 back micofiber Applicator pads (to clean leather and interior)
1x Pinnacle bodywork shampoo (for washing)
1x Pinnacle Crystal clear glass cleaner (for interior and exterior glass)
1x Pinnacle leather combo (for leather seats and steering wheel)
1x Pinnacle Vinyle & rubber Protectant (for dash and arm rest)
1x Pinnacle clear coat safe wheel cleaner (for wheels and tires)
1x Pinnacle Black onyx tire gel (for tires)
1x Pinnacle Soveran Liquid Spray wax (for applying after the car is washed since I won't be able to detail my car full just yet)

Please guys if you have any input and advice I would greatly appreciate it. I need all the help I can get. If i am forgetting anything please let me know.

Real Riders
11-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Since you like Pinnacle products you could also use a quick detailer to remove any smudges from the wax

Use Pinnacle Crystal Mist Carnauba Spray Wax anytime to bring back that just-waxed shimmer. Contains real carnauba wax in a easy spray formula. (http://www.autogeek.net/pincrysmis.html)

davidg
11-13-2013, 01:06 AM
Wheels first and them change water and soap. Then from the top down.

Don't forget the door jams.

Did you get a clay bar? I would go ahead and knock the out if you won't be polishing in the near future, but that's up to you.

Also, one recomendation, if you can afford it go ahead and pick up a metro sidekick. I put it off for over a year and a half and I can say it's nice to not have my mirrors and panel cracks from leaking. By far my favorite tool.

stilltipping3
11-13-2013, 04:33 AM
How about Iron-X? I think you will like the way it works on your rims and paint. You can buy Brown Royal for your rims as well if you are short on $$. It works great. Also, u need a few towels for after you clean your class with the waffle weave. Just re-wipe with a totally clean towel and then do it again with the third towel and you will have no streaks for sure. You could try bug and tar remover to help with those types of problems and they will come off easier. U seem to have most of what you need and it looks like you will do a good job. How about a pressure washer and a lance cannon for fun. I like the weed blowers to dry if your following up with a quick detailer. Less touching the paint the better. Get a good solid wax or glaze to fill in small swirls and scratches if you can. A spray wax wont do that. Try to buy Megs 135 for a synthetic Quick detailer and you will have a longer lasting shine and protection. Its good stuff especially if you clay the car before. I would get some razor blades for with some soap for the windows if they have never been cleaned for bumps and contamination. Clay will work as well. How about an old wash mitt for the rims that way u don't put that on the paint and rims. You still can use the brushes as well as that old mitt. Look into 303 Aerospace for your rubber and inside of car. Its good stuff. But u know what ur doing as I see u have done ur homework. Good luck detailing brutha

dc52nv
11-13-2013, 04:44 AM
I suggest picking up a Daytona SpeedMaster brush for the wheel barrels and inside of the spokes. Works great for cleaning wheel wells and exhausts as well.

stilltipping3
11-13-2013, 04:47 AM
U can buy lots of items u need at the local dollar store. Check it out and save on brushes and bottles you may need. Wash mitts as well.

HateSwirls
11-13-2013, 07:04 AM
+1:xyxthumbs:

U can buy lots of items u need at the local dollar store. Check it out and save on brushes and bottles you may need. Wash mitts as well.

Mike Phillips
11-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Hey everyone! I'll be washing my 2013 Mustang GT myself for the first time and I just want to make sure that I am getting the right products to wash my car.

What is the current condition of the paint? Here's a list of paint condition catagories...

Page 37 - Paint Condition Categories (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/51281-page-37-paint-condition-categories.html)

Here's my point, if the paint is still in the top three catagories then you want to wash it using the careul approach. If it's in catagory 4 or below then you still want to wash it carfully but you might want to consider taking steps in the future to bring it up to one of the higher catagories.

For more information, see post 21 in this thread,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/72394-review-black-label-diamond-paint-coating-3.html

:xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips
11-13-2013, 07:43 AM
Wheels first and them change water and soap. Then from the top down.

This approach is outlined here,

How to wash your car KISS style! (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/52981-how-wash-your-car-kiss-style.html)

KISS stands for Keep it Simple Simon

:xyxthumbs:

vet
11-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Welcome!

Follow Mike's articles and you can't go wrong.

Congrats on the new Mustang. Enjoy!