PDA

View Full Version : Will SF4500 Remove a Wax or a Coating?

1953hogan
11-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Guys, I'd like to know what you think about this?

I'm pretty confident that polishing with SF4500 will remove any carnuba wax or most sealants such as WGDGPS (if not, then please correct me and educate me).

My question is, do you think polishing with SF4500 is enough to remove a coating such as Cquartz? I don't use Opticoat so won't ask about that one but I am curious as to how aggressive one has to get to remove these coatings.

Thanks much.

zmcgovern45
11-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Any polish or abrasive product should remove any traditional type of protection... ie a wax or a sealant.

The only way to determine if it has removed the coating is to do a test spot, then thoroughly clean the test spot with IPA or CarPro eraser to remove any remaining polishing oils, and then check for beading/sheeting to see if the coating is still present. Again, it is very important that you ensure the polishing oils have been removed as these will cause water to bead and may lead you to believe the coating is still present.

The majority of coating products claim a thickness of around 1.5-2 microns. Sf4500 could remove this amount of material depending on pad, pressure, speed, etc. I would suggest a medium polish like PF2500 if you want a better chance of easily removing a coating, but again, perform the necessary test spots to be sure.

Andr3wilson
11-12-2013, 05:57 PM
Yes

ScottB
11-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I tend to think so also ....

1953hogan
11-12-2013, 10:13 PM
Thank you, gentlemen. Appreciate your replies.

Steve