PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna SF4000 or Megs M205

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Tresca
11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at Menzerna SF4000 or Megs M205 as a polish to remove some light swirls and water spots using a PC. How do these two polishes compare in terms of ease of use, correcting ability and gloss?

Thanks!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-12-2013, 12:43 PM
Welcome to AGO.

What vehicle and what color?

Tresca
11-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Welcome to AGO.

What vehicle and what color?
C6 corvette in Atomic Orange.

jankerson
11-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Hi,

I'm looking at Menzerna SF4000 or Megs M205 as a polish to remove some light swirls and water spots using a PC. How do these two polishes compare in terms of ease of use, correcting ability and gloss?

Thanks!

They should be about the same finish quality wise.

M205 should have more correcting ability if needed with the SMAT technology using a more aggressive pad if needed and it's very easy to work with and remove. Buffing times are pretty long as it doesn't flash very easy.

Both should give that great wet look after polishing though.

I would say try both as you really can't lose either way.

CM8 6MT
11-12-2013, 02:26 PM
They should be about the same finish quality wise.

M205 should have more correcting ability if needed with the SMAT technology using a more aggressive pad if needed and it's very easy to work with and remove. Buffing times are pretty long as it doesn't flash very easy.

Both should give that great wet look after polishing though.

I would say try both as you really can't lose either way.

I agree

Tresca
11-12-2013, 02:44 PM
How difficult is the Menzerna to remove? I had some Final Polish many years ago, and it was very unforgiving as to the window to stop working. Just a moment too soon and it was a sticky mess, and a moment too long and it was like cement.

CM8 6MT
11-12-2013, 03:02 PM
How difficult is the Menzerna to remove? I had some Final Polish many years ago, and it was very unforgiving as to the window to stop working. Just a moment too soon and it was a sticky mess, and a moment too long and it was like cement.

Make sure you prime well and apply thin. With a DAT product like Menzerna, its essential to break it down properly before buffing off. SMAT products like Meguiars require 2-3 passes and your done. Both work very well if used correctly.

cardaddy
11-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Make sure you prime well and apply thin. With a DAT product like Menzerna, its essential to break it down properly before buffing off. SMAT products like Meguiars require 2-3 passes and your done. Both work very well if used correctly.

THIS!:iagree:

The C6 has what you'd normally call 'hard' paint. That means 205 will likely finish down better than say if it were Toyota 'soft' black.

Working with 205 you do 3 maybe 4 section passes and wipe the product off BEFORE it dries. If you need more 'finishing' you reload the pad with 2~3 dime sized drops and do it again, 3 no more than 4 more passes.

Working with Menzerna you'd do 4 or so section passes with a machine speed of say 4.5 or so (on the PC machine) with medium arm pressure. Then a VERY light spritz, more like a fine fine mist with distilled water on the pad (or panel, just don't get it too wet), turn the speed up to 5.5-ish and lower your arm pressure then do a couple more section passes. Watching for the product to work down to almost nothing and it'll wipe away really easily.

Too much product and it'll gum up, too little and you'll dry buff. Especially with SMAT products like 205. FWIW, I'd do it with 205 because it'll do it faster and easier. Now if you want to jewel it down even more afterwards, Menzerna. :xyxthumbs:

Tresca
11-12-2013, 03:59 PM
THIS!:iagree:

The C6 has what you'd normally call 'hard' paint. That means 205 will likely finish down better than say if it were Toyota 'soft' black.

Working with 205 you do 3 maybe 4 section passes and wipe the product off BEFORE it dries. If you need more 'finishing' you reload the pad with 2~3 dime sized drops and do it again, 3 no more than 4 more passes.

Working with Menzerna you'd do 4 or so section passes with a machine speed of say 4.5 or so (on the PC machine) with medium arm pressure. Then a VERY light spritz, more like a fine fine mist with distilled water on the pad (or panel, just don't get it too wet), turn the speed up to 5.5-ish and lower your arm pressure then do a couple more section passes. Watching for the product to work down to almost nothing and it'll wipe away really easily.

Too much product and it'll gum up, too little and you'll dry buff. Especially with SMAT products like 205. FWIW, I'd do it with 205 because it'll do it faster and easier. Now if you want to jewel it down even more afterwards, Menzerna. :xyxthumbs:
Are these two products roughly equivalent in correcting level?

zmcgovern45
11-12-2013, 04:06 PM

M205 has a slight bit more cut according to the polish comparison chart

UPDATED: Autopia Car Care Polish Comparison Chart - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/paint-correction-gloss-enhancement/38719-updated-autopia-car-care-polish-comparison-chart.html)

Irishwoodchuck
11-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Toyota blk question about menzerna what do you recommend for a panel cleaner. I've never polished before and am trying to do it right. I ordered the menzerna intro kit and am getting a g garage polisher Black Friday but just need reccomendations for a great cleaner.
11 blk Toyota Camry le

Tresca
11-12-2013, 07:56 PM
How do the LC HT pads work with these two polishes? Or is one of the other LC lines more suitable?

cardaddy
11-12-2013, 10:12 PM

No, not at all!

M205 will cut better throughout the working cycle. Where SF4000 will finish better, AFTER it's been broken down. (see below)

SF4000 imho wouldn't cut near as good, not even with the first pass (before it starts to break down). Although DAT products (if they were both starting as the same cut level of product) do tend to cut better right there, first pass, then they start breaking down.

This however is what makes them finish better.

I'd say to get one that has similar cut and finish to 205 you'd look more at IP2000, or MAYBE, just maybe PF2500. They are more of the 'polishing' compounds rather than 'finishing' compounds.

Tresca
11-13-2013, 09:24 AM
No, not at all!

M205 will cut better throughout the working cycle. Where SF4000 will finish better, AFTER it's been broken down. (see below)

SF4000 imho wouldn't cut near as good, not even with the first pass (before it starts to break down). Although DAT products (if they were both starting as the same cut level of product) do tend to cut better right there, first pass, then they start breaking down.

This however is what makes them finish better.

I'd say to get one that has similar cut and finish to 205 you'd look more at IP2000, or MAYBE, just maybe PF2500. They are more of the 'polishing' compounds rather than 'finishing' compounds.

It appears that M205 is not really a finishing polish as the name implies, at least in comparison to the Menzerna products. I went ahead and purchased both. I'll start with the SF4000, and if not strong enough I'll use the M205 and then go back to the SF4000 if necessary.:pc7424:

jankerson
11-13-2013, 09:55 AM
It appears that M205 is not really a finishing polish as the name implies, at least in comparison to the Menzerna products. I went ahead and purchased both. I'll start with the SF4000, and if not strong enough I'll use the M205 and then go back to the SF4000 if necessary.:pc7424:

M205 is a finishing polish.. :)

The abrasives are very fine and it will finish out extremely well with a polishing pad giving that WET LOOK. I would say either speed 3 or 4 for finial polishing, most likely 4.

However I have used M205 on 5 for minor to moderate swirl removal with a polishing pad making 4 section passes and found it still produced an incredible finish. So there was no need to slow it down and go back over the sections at a slower speed.

Also it works great with a finishing pad on speed 4 for just buffing out the paint to increase DOI.

It can be as aggressive or refined as one would want just by changing pads and speed.

I have found M205 to be extremely versatile and that's the main reason why it's the 1st product that I grab, even when I had other products around. Although i do have D151 around also and UC and UP.

M205 was designed to be a followup to M105 and those who use M105 know how well that finishes out.

There are a lot of different products out there, better or worse perhaps, but that will depend on the variables.