PDA

View Full Version : Getting spot free rinse

Pages : [1] 2

dajuanNonly
11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
I'm getting a water softener installed in my new home I'm running a mobile detail business out of a van don't have a lot of money but I know it's crucial to get spot free rinse on the vehicles I do I had an exchange tank from Culligan (took it back)and I still notice spotting... will the water softener help

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

VP Mark
11-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Use Optimum no rinse. No water spots ever!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

Romans5.8
11-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Why not just dry with a detail spray? That's what I do. I'm not a pro nor mobile but I don't have a water softener, but have very hard water in my area. If I don't do a rinseless or waterless wash, I just use detail spray while I dry (spray a panel then dry it). No water spots and a nice shine!

CM8 6MT
11-12-2013, 01:03 PM
Why not just dry with a detail spray? That's what I do. I'm not a pro nor mobile but I don't have a water softener, but have very hard water in my area. If I don't do a rinseless or waterless wash, I just use detail spray while I dry (spray a panel then dry it). No water spots and a nice shine!

100% agree

silverfox
11-12-2013, 07:07 PM
Add 1/2 ounce ONR in your wash regime. Its a whole lot cheaper than buying filtration systems which frankly are a rip off. Plus ONR actually makes the wash solution safer on your paint. A win-win.

Follow up with a drying agent wipe down and there is no way spots will be there.

PiPUK
11-12-2013, 07:28 PM
It is probably worth pointing out that 'soft' water is not 'demineralised' water. Hard water has calcium and magnesium ions which give soap scum and limescale, soft water typically replaces these with sodium ions which won't give these issues but can give other issues and, most importantly, can still give the same water spotting issues. Total dissolved solids is what you should minimise to minimise water spotting and this will mean de-ionised water (or demineralised) or better, simple 'soft' water is just not enough.

Russ57
11-12-2013, 07:58 PM
PiPUK is (mostly) right. A water softener may not do what you need. Reverse osmosis and distilled water should though, in addition to deionized water.

Just curious, what problems did you have with the exchange tank from Culligan?

beamerstrumpet
11-12-2013, 08:24 PM
Add 1/2 ounce ONR in your wash regime. Its a whole lot cheaper than buying filtration systems which frankly are a rip off. Plus ONR actually makes the wash solution safer on your paint. A win-win.

Follow up with a drying agent wipe down and there is no way spots will be there.

What is your dyring agent?? I too have water spotting all the time and end up going over it with QD, I forgot to put ONR (or TWNR) in my last bucket of wash.

Dombey
11-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Recently I have found that my car looks 100% better with a coat of D156 after every wash.

I've been sheeting it, blowing out the crevices and majority of the water, then using a regular old microfiber, pre-sprayed with d156, and a very very light spray per panel, I dry it off.

No other drying method I have tried gives you a shine like that; and it is essentially no extra effort over a normal dry routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

swanicyouth
11-12-2013, 08:59 PM
Soft water is often "salty water", as I understand it. Softners use NaCl to replace CaCo3. While NaCl is better than CaCo3 for water spots - it's not spot free. CR Spotless produces mineral free water - no spots.

Dombey
11-12-2013, 09:30 PM
Soft water is often "salty water", as I understand it. Softners use NaCl to replace CaCo3. While NaCl is better than CaCo3 for water spots - it's not spot free. CR Spotless produces mineral free water - no spots.

Yes...but soft water spots are cake to remove relative to hard water spots. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

stilltipping3
11-13-2013, 04:41 AM
When the car is rinsed and ready to dry go and spray a QD on it and then dry that puppy down. use a totally new dry towel to go over it again and watch it shine like a MOFO. LOL

dajuanNonly
11-14-2013, 06:37 PM
PiPUK is (mostly) right. A water softener may not do what you need. Reverse osmosis and distilled water should though, in addition to deionized water.

Just curious, what problems did you have with the exchange tank from Culligan?

I was still noticing water spots

dajuanNonly
11-14-2013, 06:40 PM
It is probably worth pointing out that 'soft' water is not 'demineralised' water. Hard water has calcium and magnesium ions which give soap scum and limescale, soft water typically replaces these with sodium ions which won't give these issues but can give other issues and, most importantly, can still give the same water spotting issues. Total dissolved solids is what you should minimise to minimise water spotting and this will mean de-ionised water (or demineralised) or better, simple 'soft' water is just not enough.

I was looking into ro (will still get water softener seems it's easier to wipe down in this Texas heat) but are there other alternatives that will improve the soft water cause I'm looking at another 1000 to add ro

artofdetailing
11-14-2013, 06:42 PM

+1