PDA

View Full Version : Cutting pads

Pages : [1] 2

INMY01TA
06-03-2006, 01:11 PM
I've been reading on the Meguiars forum that they never recomend using cutting pads with the PC dap due to marring or hazing. Is the Lake country orange (light cutting) pad safe to use? I know to start less aggressive and move up but just wondering if anyone got new problems they couldn't get rid of using the orange one?

abrcrombe
06-03-2006, 01:45 PM
I am also interested in this answer. I have some Meguiar's pads, but am thinking about switching to Edge 2000. Am I crazy for holding out so long?

ScottB
06-03-2006, 02:57 PM
I've been reading on the Meguiars forum that they never recomend using cutting pads with the PC dap due to marring or hazing. Is the Lake country orange (light cutting) pad safe to use? I know to start less aggressive and move up but just wondering if anyone got new problems they couldn't get rid of using the orange one?

I have used an orange pad with good success on swirls, I have never used a yellow (cutting) pad without the need to repolish the area with a white pad and polish, and then moving to a finishing pad and finishing polish. It created alot of micromarring ... yellows out with the PC in my book. But it can be a necessary evil on alot of badly oxidized and swirled cars, you just need to plan the additional polishing steps.

blkyukon
06-03-2006, 03:17 PM
....I have never used a yellow (cutting) pad without the need to repolish the area with a white pad and polish, and then moving to a finishing pad and finishing polish. It created alot of micromarring ... yellows out with the PC in my book. But it can be a necessary evil on alot of badly oxidized and swirled cars, you just need to plan the additional polishing steps.

Exactly, I have used Meguiars Cutting pad with a PC and like Killrwheels said you usually need to step down 2 polishes to remove the hazing (depending on the color).

Here is a before and after using SSR3/Meguiars cutting pad follow by LC polishing pad and Menzerna IP:

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/bna/images/m_03.jpg

http://paintcare-n-detailing.com/cars/bna/images/m_04.jpg

With that being said I very rarely use a cutting pad and I usually only use it as a the last resort.

StudlyJ
06-03-2006, 03:44 PM
I've used orange pads to remove minor defects with great results. However my neighbors (sp) dog took it apon himself to try to jump through my driver side window leaving some nice deep scracthes on my otherwise perfect paint. So needless to say i needed somting with a little more cut then what orange was doing for me. I used a wool pad and some Opt. compound which has a long working time and finishes down really well. well no swirls per say but holograms abound. so some opt. polish via white pad and pinnciles AFP via gray pad = LSP ready.

Guess what Im trying to get at if you need to get some deeper inperfections out and dont have rotary, dont think your pc can't do the job. Just be prepared to spend some time doing it and choose a product that finishes down well and use the step down process:cheers: happy detailing.

Oh and if your trying to get minor inperfections out and the orange pad isn't cutting it i would suggest stepping up the polish before going to the yellow pad. not that it wouldnt work, just time consuming to have to polish out any haze or swirls.

INMY01TA
06-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanx guys.

StudlyJ
06-03-2006, 03:54 PM
oh BTW I have a black 02 camaro, do you find that the clearcoat on your TA to a little on the "hard" side? I go with some some opt. 50/50 compound and polish just to get the swirls out:( .

GearHead_1
06-03-2006, 06:58 PM
...thinking about switching to Edge 2000. Am I crazy for holding out so long?
Yup, get em now and don't look back.

INMY01TA
06-03-2006, 07:23 PM
oh BTW I have a black 02 camaro, do you find that the clearcoat on your TA to a little on the "hard" side? I go with some some opt. 50/50 compound and polish just to get the swirls out:( .Unfortunately I have a broken kneecap now so I haven't had a chance to try out the new Porter Cable yet. Hopefully by the end of this month. :D I've heard alot about Vettes having extremely hard clearcoats, not sure about these F bodies yet tho.

Surfer
06-03-2006, 07:35 PM
I have the Edge 2K kit. I had a few deep swirls on my white suv on the hood that the orange pad couldn't take all away. Grabbed the yellow cutting pad and Optimum Compound and bingo, and it barely left any hazing. Finished up with OP on blue pad. But I also have a a custom 4" orange pad Aaron at Edge made me, makes quick work for spot buffing.

BTW, does anybody know what the difference is between the Edge orange and green pads?

GearHead_1
06-03-2006, 07:51 PM
BTW, does anybody know what the difference is between the Edge orange and green pads?
I'm not exactly sure how to quantify what you are asking here unless it's by the number of pores per square inch. The green pads are a step more aggressive than the orange. The yellow are more aggressive than the green. I really like the orange pads, they are my favorites. Aaron sent me an orange wave pad (he's really a great guy to do business with). It's really slick also. I believe it's supposed to be available to all soon. I'll do a little write up on this one later. If you were to ask me which to pads to get, I would tell you orange and blue. I don't see a lot of difference between the white and blue pads. I don't have the yellow for the PC. Anything that requires more aggressive pad than green I pull out the rotary.

Yellow 50 pores/sq. inch
Green 60 pores/sq. inch
Orange 65 pores/sq. inch
Blue 70 pores/sq. inch
White 80 pores/sq. inch

abrcrombe
06-04-2006, 11:28 AM
Great write up you guys! Thanks for the info

Surfer
06-04-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm not exactly sure how to quantify what you are asking here unless it's by the number of pores per square inch. The green pads are a step more aggressive than the orange. The yellow are more aggressive than the green. I really like the orange pads, they are my favorites. Aaron sent me an orange wave pad (he's really a great guy to do business with). It's really slick also. I believe it's supposed to be available to all soon. I'll do a little write up on this one later. If you were to ask me which to pads to get, I would tell you orange and blue. I don't see a lot of difference between the white and blue pads. I don't have the yellow for the PC. Anything that requires more aggressive pad than green I pull out the rotary.

White 50 pores/sq. inch
Yelow 60 pores/sq. inch
Orange 65 pores/sq. inch
Blue 70 pores/sq. inch
White 80 pores/sq. inchMaybe I confused you:D, I already have the Edge 2K kit with the white/blue/orange/yellow/geen pads. What I was curious about is the difference betwen the orange and green in the kit, I've heard some say the green is stronger, and others say the orange is stronger (as far as cutting ability). Both seem similar to me, which is why I was wondering what the difference between the two were? Especially since Edge's colors match up to difference cutting ability/ratings compared to other manufacturer colors. BTW you have two whites listed?

Didn't you just get the kit also? This system rocks:righton:

GearHead_1
06-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Maybe I confused you:D, I already have the Edge 2K kit with the white/blue/orange/yellow/green pads. What I was curious about is the difference between the orange and green in the kit, I've heard some say the green is stronger, and others say the orange is stronger (as far as cutting ability). Both seem similar to me, which is why I was wondering what the difference between the two were? Especially since Edge's colors match up to difference cutting ability/ratings compared to other manufacturer colors. BTW you have two whites listed?

Didn't you just get the kit also? This system rocks:righton:
I've been using their system ever since the new adaptor came out, several months anyway. I love it. Here's the verbiage for the different pads as taken from AutoGeek's Edge page. The pads are ranked from most aggressive to least aggressive. I don't believe that the Pores/sq. inch are stated correctly in this ad copy and I've changed accordingly. I pulled the numbers I had posted from Edge's page ( http://www.edgepads.com/e2k6da_dbl.htm )and my conversation with Aaron on the orange pad. The orange pad isn't listed on this page.

The Edge 2000 6 Inch DuraFoam Pads are available in the following varieties:

Yellow Cutting Pad This pad is aggressive, and will cut through deep surface marks and swirls. They work well on heavy oxidation and pitted finishes, and will remove wet sand scratches without causing burning. 50 pores per inch (ppi)

Green Medium Cutting Pad This pad is useful for light oxidation and moderate to severe swirls and imperfections. This pad will yield amazing results on older vehicles, and should be used on vehicles with moderate swirls and imperfections. Add a compound or pre-wax cleaner for a flawless finish on base coats. 60 pores per inch (ppi)

Orange Light Cutting Pad This pad is highly versatile, as it can be used on cars with light to moderate swirls and imperfections. We recommend you begin with this pad if you are unsure how deep swirls are, moving up to a Green Medium Cut Pad if necessary. Safe on clear coats. 65 pores per inch (ppi)

Blue Finishing Pad This pad is great for everyday use. It will leave surface areas scratch-free and smooth while still removing light swirls and imperfections. Use with wax and polish to apply a fine gloss. Safe on clear coats. 70 pores per inch (ppi)

White Ultrafine Polishing Pad This ultra-smooth polishing pad contains 80 pores per inch, allowing for fine polishing which creates a bold, crystalline gloss Use this pad to apply waxes, polishes and sealants. Safe on clear coats. 80 pores per inch (ppi)

GearHead_1
06-04-2006, 12:24 PM
BTW you have two whites listed?
I really messed up on the chart I had listed. Sorry. I have made the changes to accurately reflect the scale. Maybe you could make the changes in your post's quote so that others aren't misled.