PDA

View Full Version : New car question

keepitclean
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
A new car that is fairly good paint and virtually no swirls. I'm planning to use Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer. My question is that if I need to clay......need to take a hard look at the car.....Should I clay first then use the Wolfgang Paintwork Polish Enhancer next then seal if the car requires no paint correction?

TrolleyVW
11-11-2013, 11:33 AM
You should generally always use clay on a brand new car because of transport and whatnot. Probably something like IronX to decon as well and rid it of rail dust just because a lot of new vehicles are transported by train

Bill1234
11-11-2013, 12:00 PM
clay is a must on a new car unfortunately. Might also want to try some iron x also

Mike Phillips
11-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Here's what you want to do...

Wash and dry or wipe the new car clean. Next feel the horizontal surfaces with your clean hand, check to see if the paint feels smooth. You can also do the baggie test using a sandwich baggie. When you do this use a light touch, don't rub hard.

My friend just bought a brand new 2014 Buick Enclave and he said it needed to be clayed.

:)

Romans5.8
11-11-2013, 01:12 PM
+1 to claying! A friend of mine just bought a brand new Dodge and had overspray, rail dust, and other 'unknowns' on the car that came off on the clay. It was remarkably contaminated.

keepitclean
11-11-2013, 01:22 PM
Thanks!

01GreyStangGT
11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
My Mustang was near perfect ( picked it up the day after it arrived) but my Sorento had rail dust.

HateSwirls
11-11-2013, 07:32 PM
I've never seen a new car that I did that didn't need claying.
Keeping in mind how far the car must travel to get to the dealership and how long it waits in some big parking lot before it's even shipped.
You might not pickup much but it will rest your mind knowing you took that extra step before any polishing.

I received a call from someone that will pickup her new Jeep this week, I told her not to let them touch it and wait until I can get to it.

keepitclean
11-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Working in a inside garage........am I safe applying Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant 3.0 letting it sit/haze for 1 hour or so them top with a wax. Just reading a bit I know it's better to wait 12 hours before the wax application but may not have that luxury of waiting.

cardaddy
11-12-2013, 10:45 PM
clay is a must on a new car unfortunately. Might also want to try some iron x also

:iagree:

I've never seen a new car that I did that didn't need claying.
Keeping in mind how far the car must travel to get to the dealership and how long it waits in some big parking lot before it's even shipped.
You might not pickup much but it will rest your mind knowing you took that extra step before any polishing.

I received a call from someone that will pickup her new Jeep this week, I told her not to let them touch it and wait until I can get to it.

Anyone seen a rail holding yard lately?

When I was still in the towing business the local Mitsubishi dealership was the 'on call' shop for all warranty work related to damage or non start cars at the closest rail and transportation yard. I'd have to go there 2~3 times a month, mostly for flat tires or dead batteries. Of course there were cars there from literally every make and model you can think of, being as it was a major southeastern regional hub not to mention the Ford plant was right across the street. :)

Rail dust, grime, soot from trains and HUNDREDS of trucks in and out daily, you name it. I mean those cars were freaking n-a-s-t-y! :eek:

Romans5.8
11-12-2013, 10:54 PM
:iagree:

Anyone seen a rail holding yard lately?

When I was still in the towing business the local Mitsubishi dealership was the 'on call' shop for all warranty work related to damage or non start cars at the closest rail and transportation yard. I'd have to go there 2~3 times a month, mostly for flat tires or dead batteries. Of course there were cars there from literally every make and model you can think of, being as it was a major southeastern regional hub not to mention the Ford plant was right across the street. :)

Rail dust, grime, soot from trains and HUNDREDS of trucks in and out daily, you name it. I mean those cars were freaking n-a-s-t-y! :eek:

I believe it! I meet up with some folks for a motorcycle ride every week down at a local riverfront/boat ramp. There's a railway that runs along, and there's a nice iron railing that runs along it. Always caked in brake dust, and even sand (trains blow sand on the tracks to give them traction when braking or accelerating). Combine that with overspray from tagging rail cars, pollution, and various other environmental crap; yeah- it gets nasty! Many of these rail stations are near airports where there can be jet fuel as well. Fuel dumps happen occasionally in emergencies. Many large jet airliners can actually take off far heavier than they can safely land, and they have to dump fuel to reduce weight (on 9/11, tremendous amounts of fuel was dumped all over the world) in an emergency. Most of that fuel evaporates but it can leave tiny bits of contamination on the paint as it falls.

Really crazy to think about what all your car goes through!

goodinblack
11-12-2013, 11:17 PM
Wow ^^^^

Never think about stuff like this