PDA

View Full Version : POLL: Topics for future photography threads

Pages : [1] 2

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 11:17 AM
Since my first Photography Thread on the Basics of Exposure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/68142-photography-basics-part-1-a.html) was rather well received, I am looking for some insight as to what you'd like to see for the "Part 2" thread.

I have had many requests to put together some other articles, and I should have time to get one together this week.

Here are some ideas I was considering for a number of future articles, but if you'd like to see something in particular, please let me know!

- A More Advanced Look at "Depth of Field"
- Shooting in RAW vs. JPEG
- Basic Gear for Photographing Detailing
- Understanding Focus Modes

Most of my ideas are generalized for photographing anything... if you would prefer a more detailing specific set of articles (ie how to take 50/50 shots), I would love to hear your ideas!

Again, I am completely open to anyone's suggestions. I really like putting together these types of articles so I will do my best to put out a few more in the near future as my detailing work slows down with the approaching freezing temps :dblthumb2:

Thanks!

-Zach

KS_Detailing
11-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I was actually looking for your photography thread last night. Teach me how to use my Canon Rebel XTI to photograph my detailing! :props:

Evan.J
11-11-2013, 11:25 AM
Hey Zach want about picking a good camera for documenting detailing work. Things to look for when buying a camera?

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 11:32 AM
I was actually looking for your photography thread last night. Teach me how to use my Canon Rebel XTI to photograph my detailing! :props:
That is a bit of a broad request... being a Nikon owner/user myself, I wouldn't be much use on explaining your particular Canon model's features and functions. My first article covers the basics of how to use any camera to manipulate the settings to produce the exposure you desire.

Do you have any particular questions or problems that you would like me to address?

Hey Zach want about picking a good camera for documenting detailing work. Things to look for when buying a camera?

^Evan, good idea! This can be a very subjective topic, however, because many people think all that is needed is a modern smart phone with a decent camera. I can do a general article on purchasing a DSLR (highlight some differences between 'entry level models' vs. mid level vs. pro models and explain why those added features may or may not matter to you), discuss lens selections, and other basic accessories that might be useful!

Chris's FX4
11-11-2013, 11:35 AM
I think one about basic gear or understanding depth of field would be nice.

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 11:41 AM
I think one about basic gear or understanding depth of field would be nice.

You've clearly got a good understanding of both based on the photos I have seen :dblthumb2:

I was planning on completing both of those articles in the near future... I will most likely do the Depth of Field article this week, and begin working on the Gear article shortly afterwards.

KS_Detailing
11-11-2013, 12:44 PM
That is a bit of a broad request... being a Nikon owner/user myself, I wouldn't be much use on explaining your particular Canon model's features and functions. My first article covers the basics of how to use any camera to manipulate the settings to produce the exposure you desire.

I was just messing around about that but I was searching for your thread to learn about using the settings for taking photos.

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 12:51 PM
I was just messing around about that but I was searching for your thread to learn about using the settings for taking photos.

:dblthumb2:

ziggo99
11-11-2013, 02:12 PM
I think one on editing would be helpful. Sometimes we like to go into our photo editing programs and try to make our photos better but end up over doing it and the end result of our work doesn't seem to be authentic.

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
I think one on editing would be helpful. Sometimes we like to go into our photo editing programs and try to make our photos better but end up over doing it and the end result of our work doesn't seem to be authentic.

That is definitely a possibility for future articles, but I am going to focus on capturing the images first. I will follow up with post-processing recommendations after I cover the majority of the basics of how to take the photos.

Chris's FX4
11-11-2013, 02:46 PM
You've clearly got a good understanding of both based on the photos I have seen :dblthumb2:

I was planning on completing both of those articles in the near future... I will most likely do the Depth of Field article this week, and begin working on the Gear article shortly afterwards.
Thanks Zach.:dblthumb2:

Just thinking of another one that people might find useful, basically how to take pictures of cars. Like how certain angles, heights, and how focusing on certain areas with different apertures can really improve the look of car and make the photos more interesting. Kind of like the difference between taking a picture of the front of the car and eye height versus down low. I know Mike has a low down grille shot thread.

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 02:53 PM

Just thinking of another one that people might find useful, basically how to take pictures of cars. Like how certain angles, heights, and how focusing on certain areas with different apertures can really improve the look of car and make the photos more interesting. Kind of like the difference between taking a picture of the front of the car and eye height versus down low. I know Mike has a low down grille shot thread.

Another great idea, and something I am still learning myself! Car photography definitely isn't my strongest point, but I would be happy to share some pointers in a brief article at some point. Thanks for the suggestions!

tuscarora dave
11-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Hi Zach.

Not sure how I missed the first thread that you linked to here but I'm going to have to read it and this/any future ones carefully because I'm very camera illiterate. I'd absolutely be interested in seeing any of the titles you mention in this thread.

07gtcs
11-11-2013, 03:07 PM

I believe I got this link from a post in here a long time ago, but its a good article about photographing cars, good basic ideas.

Automobile/Motorcar Photography Tips by Curt Scott (http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/home.html)

zmcgovern45
11-11-2013, 03:13 PM
I believe I got this link from a post in here a long time ago, but its a good article about photographing cars, good basic ideas.

Automobile/Motorcar Photography Tips by Curt Scott (http://www.cobracountry.com/fototips/home.html)

I have read that sometime in the past... very good article that focuses a lot on the lighting... which is KEY to any photograph, but can cause a lot of headaches with cars especially.

Thanks for posting the link!

(I think that guy has a thing for Cobras)