PDA

View Full Version : New car factory paint correction - polish/finish/jewel?

dy9102
11-11-2013, 10:29 AM
Hi everyone, quick question/clarification on polishing vs finishing vs jeweling for my new car factory paint and minor correction.

My new Audi (2 months old) has some very minor water marks/blemishes, very fine scratches from the shipping cover in a couple areas and some minor orange peel across most of the car. When I first got it, I thoroughly cleaned it, but decided to just apply Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 and Wolfgang Fuzion and wait on trying to correct these issues.

I was thinking that I would use the PC 7424 with a white CCS polishing pad and something like the XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover or Menzerna Super Finish 4000. Since the paint is new and is not that badly damaged, my thought process was that I could get by with just a finishing polish like this to get rid of all these marks, while not risking my beautiful new car paint as a newbie.. Do you guys think this is a good approach, or should I be using jeweling polish or just hand polish with Klasse All-in-One, or something else very mild like that?

wdmaccord
11-11-2013, 10:36 AM
Hi everyone, quick question/clarification on polishing vs finishing vs jeweling for my new car factory paint and minor correction.

My new Audi (2 months old) has some very minor water marks/blemishes, very fine scratches from the shipping cover in a couple areas and some minor orange peel across most of the car. When I first got it, I thoroughly cleaned it, but decided to just apply Wolfgang Sealant 3.0 and Wolfgang Fuzion and wait on trying to correct these issues.

I was thinking that I would use the PC 7424 with a white CCS polishing pad and something like the XMT Ultra Fine Swirl Remover or Menzerna Super Finish 4000. Since the paint is new and is not that badly damaged, my thought process was that I could get by with just a finishing polish like this to get rid of all these marks, while not risking my beautiful new car paint as a newbie.. Do you guys think this is a good approach, or should I be using jeweling polish or just hand polish with Klasse All-in-One, or something else very mild like that?

SF4000 on a white CCS pad would probably be a good approach. Followed by a wax/sealant. You could also consider trying and all-in-one like Megs Mirror Glaze #6 or Finish Kare 215 (or the Klasse as you mention above...but I don't think you should do it by hand).

Mike Moore
11-11-2013, 10:41 AM
It is VERY rare I have found a new car factory paint to be swirl free or without flaws that need some paint correction. It's usually much worse if a dealership washes it.

A PC with a white, black and blue pad should clear it up. I wouldn't concentrate too much on the orange peel as factory paint is pretty thin and it could be an issue.

Evaluate the paint. I'd do only what is needed to get to paint to the stage where you are happy with the results. If I only had two polishes they would be M101 and Reflect.

There is a famous quote "Use the least aggressive method first." Although very fine, try CarPro Reflect with a LC black pad and see if you are able get of the fine scratches.

wdmaccord
11-11-2013, 10:46 AM
It is VERY rare I have found a new car factory paint to be swirl free or without flaws that need some paint correction. It's usually much worse if a dealership washes it.

A PC with a white, black and blue pad should clear it up. I wouldn't concentrate too much on the orange peel as factory paint is pretty thin and it could be an issue.

Evaluate the paint. I'd do only what is needed to get to paint to the stage where you are happy with the results. If I only had two polishes they would be M101 and Reflect.

There is a famous quote "Use the least aggressive method first." Although very fine, try CarPro Reflect with a LC black pad and see if you are able get of the fine scratches.

I 2nd this regarding the orange peel.

dy9102
11-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Great, thanks guys! I'll give it a go over Thanksgiving here and report back on results.