PDA

View Full Version : How are you removing compound/polish? Any tips?

Pages : [1] 2

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-10-2013, 09:22 PM
Are you guys wiping it off right after each section? Buffing the whole car and wiping it off? Leaving it on and washing it off? If waiting and re-washing the car, what soap are you using? Do you have to scrub? .....?

I need to find a better process for removing polish, it's driving me crazy.

jankerson
11-10-2013, 09:26 PM
With what I normally use... M105 and M205 I do one section at a time.

M205 is VERY easy to remove as is M105 if one doesn't let it flash and or doesn't use too much product.

DetailedByPrecision
11-10-2013, 09:36 PM
I remove it immediately after the buffing cycle is done. Some products will be easier to remove and some will be trickier. It also depends on the type of paint you are qorking on as well.

custmsprty
11-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Wipe off after each section. Used WG Finishing Glaze yesterday and removal so ridiculously easy as it Menz FG400

spiralout462
11-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Wipe off after each section. Used WG Finishing Glaze yesterday and removal so ridiculously easy as it Menz FG400

:iagree:Wolfgang polishes are easier to remove than some waxes! I couldn't imagine buffing a whole car, then removing residue! Any polish will be problematic if let to dry on the paint.

Wors
11-10-2013, 10:40 PM
I remove compound/polish after each section. If you are working with stubborn product or paint give the Detailer's Coating Prep Polish (http://www.autogeek.net/coating-prep-polish.html) a try. It will also prep the paint for a coating.

lexterminator
11-10-2013, 10:47 PM
I wipe it right after my section is done. My current car is very prone to do marring when I wipe polish \ compound (even with 70\30 towel) so I usually use Meguiars M34 Final Inspection to help wipe off my completed section.

statusdetailing
11-10-2013, 10:55 PM
In the past, I wiped of one section at a time, but now I'll usually do about half the car and do a wipe down.

MF pads have forced me to work very clean and apply less product, making it super easy to remove D300, D301, M105 and M205 (and hopefully d302 in the future. I'm super excited).
If MF pads get too hot or water logged, they start baking the products onto the paint like cement. Like someone else already mentioned, m105 should nearly flash off imo, if it's leaving a heavy, hard to remove film, something is wrong.

FPEvo
11-10-2013, 10:57 PM
I usually wipe off after every section.

11-10-2013, 11:10 PM
Wipe after each section. I was using M105/M205 combo but don't like the dusting and can be hard to wipe. Gonna tryout Wolfgang Uber, Swirl Remover & Finishing Glaze 3.0 next...

glen e
11-10-2013, 11:28 PM
for polish and compound, wipe off after each section , quick spray with IPA...

geekdout
11-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Sometimes I will use something called a microfiber rope which is used for cleaning the gearing on bicycles. It works well when you have some polish residue on panel gaps. Tree Fort Bikes - Online Bicycle Parts and Accessories, Bicycle Tools and Maintenance (http://www.treefortbikes.com/#navbar=pro___333222370761___153)

CM8 6MT
11-11-2013, 12:02 AM
Are you guys wiping it off right after each section? Buffing the whole car and wiping it off? Leaving it on and washing it off? If waiting and re-washing the car, what soap are you using? Do you have to scrub? .....?

I need to find a better process for removing polish, it's driving me crazy.

Your asking a variety of questions, and you will get a variety of different answers because everyone uses different products/techniques. Perhaps a better approach to this would be this....follow the products instructions.

I can think of any brand of polish/compound that specifically states to leave the product on. Lets take a step back and focus on technique here. Using too much compound/polish will cause it to cake up and create a huge hassle for you once your ready to remove it. Not to mention its a waste of product. Using the right type of towel to remove the compound/polish is also very important. Finally, using a cleaner will not only aid in helping you remove compound/polish residue, but it will also give you a clear indication of the paints condition by removing oils that often mask potential swirls.

1. Use the right ammount of product.
2. Use the right microfiber towel.
3. Select a good paint cleanser.

Assuming your a professional, technique shouldnt be an issue for you, but I take it your still new to detailing, so I will fill you in. Contrary to popular belief, quality microfiber towels CAN and will scratch your paint if used incorrectly when removing compound/polish. Be gentle when removing the compound. More often than not, many detailers like to go crazy and tend to "scrub" the polish away instead of gently wiping it off. Change towels often, because the compounding/polishing granules will condense and have the potential to micro marr the paint you just spent your time perfecting.

If you follow the basic 3 steps I mentioned above, you will have no problem removing any brand compound/polish. Unless your using M105....stay away from M105 :)

Andr3wilson
11-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Your asking a variety of questions, and you will get a variety of different answers because everyone uses different products/techniques. Perhaps a better approach to this would be this....follow the products instructions.

I can think of any brand of polish/compound that specifically states to leave the product on. Lets take a step back and focus on technique here. Using too much compound/polish will cause it to cake up and create a huge hassle for you once your ready to remove it. Not to mention its a waste of product. Using the right type of towel to remove the compound/polish is also very important. Finally, using a cleaner will not only aid in helping you remove compound/polish residue, but it will also give you a clear indication of the paints condition by removing oils that often mask potential swirls.

Assuming your a professional, technique shouldnt be an issue for you, but I take it your still new to detailing, so I will fill you in. Contrary to popular belief, quality microfiber towels CAN and will scratch your paint if used incorrectly when removing compound/polish. Be gentle when removing the compound. More often than not, many detailers like to go crazy and tend to "scrub" the polish away instead of gently wiping it off. Change towels often, because the compounding/polishing granules will condense and have the potential to micro marr the paint you just spent your time perfecting.

If you follow the basic 3 steps I mentioned above, you will have no problem removing any brand compound/polish. Unless your using M105....stay away from M105 :)

Long time no see!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-11-2013, 02:51 AM

Great advice Aaron.

Can't wait to see you try your hand at the Menzerna lineup.