PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Color Chip

Irishwoodchuck
11-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Has anyone had good success with this product I have a scratch on the right fender that needs to be corrected but i Have never wet sandedFeed back please

Evan.J
11-09-2013, 05:20 PM
Has anyone had good success with this product I have a scratch on the right fender that needs to be corrected but i Have never wet sandedFeed back please

With Dr colorchip you don't wet sand at all you just fill in the chips. If you google some videos you will see that it very easy and apply. :props:

BKM3
11-09-2013, 09:26 PM
I have had great results with dr color chip... but, one spot I used dr color chip then wet sanded (pretty lightly I think from 2000 to 3000 grit) and it turned a weird grayish color (a bmw black metalic), so in my experience it is great for road rash and chips and even scratches but not a larger area that needs to be filled and sanded, at least in my experience. I have had this blemish on my hood about an inch square area for a while and not sure what next so hopefully someone else will chime in with a similar experience or advice.

BK

allenk4
11-09-2013, 10:07 PM
Since you don't have a DA yet....I would buy that way before I would spend the $55 on Dr. ColorChip

DetailKitty
12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
I just orders this... Thought I'd finally give it a try.

I am wondering if you have to use their supplied paint or can I use the OEM touch up paint I bought from the dealership?

MarkD51
12-31-2013, 09:36 PM
I just orders this... Thought I'd finally give it a try.

I am wondering if you have to use their supplied paint or can I use the OEM touch up paint I bought from the dealership?

I've had some success with using the Dr Colorchip Sealact "smoothing lotion" on some factory paint touch up that was probably 12+ years old. But it worked the bejesus out of me.

Still, it was a less dangerous way to try to level some horrid touch up jobs I had done so many years before, without a danger of sanding through a clear coat.

I would take an educated guess, that to work a bit easier with a factory touch up, do your touch up, let the paint dry for a good day or two, then go at it with the Sealact Leveler solution. The paint then might still be pliable, and workable without the need to resort to harsher methods.

I know this is an unorthodox method I mention, the Sealact Solution will work best with their proprietary touch up paints.
Mark

DetailKitty
12-31-2013, 10:36 PM
I've had some success with using the Dr Colorchip Sealact "smoothing lotion" on some factory paint touch up that was probably 12+ years old. But it worked the bejesus out of me.

Still, it was a less dangerous way to try to level some horrid touch up jobs I had done so many years before, without a danger of sanding through a clear coat.

I would take an educated guess, that to work a bit easier with a factory touch up, do your touch up, let the paint dry for a good day or two, then go at it with the Sealact Leveler solution. The paint then might still be pliable, and workable without the need to resort to harsher methods.

I know this is an unorthodox method I mention, the Sealact Solution will work best with their proprietary touch up paints.
Mark

Thx for the feedback. :xyxthumbs:

cardaddy
01-01-2014, 12:08 AM
I recently bought one for my AX9 red an haven't been able to work it on the hood or roof yet. I did manage to hit a good dozen places along the inside of the fender an you can't tell it from a couple of feet away.

All I can say is they seem to be good at getting the solid color to match. Like that matters more than the overall look. :doh:

I was hoping to have done it by now, (considering I've had it for over a month). Alias never ending nerve pain and fighting with a freaking herniated disc the last couple of months has put most things to a grinding halt.

rstark
01-01-2014, 07:22 AM
The leveler did not work for factory Toyota 2013 touch up paint drying after a day for me. I've been waiting to try out this system (color paint and leveler) on my 2006 Mazda later today if I have time. If I have time today, I will post results of my usage experience.

DetailKitty
01-01-2014, 09:42 AM
Great, let me know....
I am looking forward to trying this when it arrives.