PDA

View Full Version : Best Swirl Remover for a black Car

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Irishwoodchuck
11-09-2013, 04:35 PM
So I just got done cleaning my car and as I was putting on the wax I noticed some very faint swirl marks. I was wondering what is the best product to treat it for a black car?Feed back please

swanicyouth
11-09-2013, 04:44 PM
The best swirl remover for a black car is an experienced detailer, with any quality DA or rotary polisher and polishes

BlackHawk
11-09-2013, 04:50 PM
The best swirl remover for a black car is an experienced detailer, with any quality DA or rotary polisher and polishes

Hook, Line, and SINKER! :dblthumb2:

swanicyouth
11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
Not to be a smart ass, but really any polish works well with any DA. Some are easier to use than others. Menz, Wolfgang, & Optimum are all "idiot proof" and use high quality abrasives.

Read Mikes book. He'll tell ya.

MarkD51
11-09-2013, 04:53 PM
So I just got done cleaning my car and as I was putting on the wax I noticed some very faint swirl marks. I was wondering what is the best product to treat it for a black car?Feed back please
You could probably get as many answers, and favorites, from as many members as there are here in this forum.

I'll assume your Paint finish is clear coat, and not single stage, so in such an instance, you're not actually polishing the black finish, but a clear coat that is on top of it.

I think though, that all members here will agree, that once you use any polish, regardless of cut-aggressiveness, you've pretty much removed all your paint protection in the polishing process, whether by hand, DA, or Rotary Machine.

And thus, will need to re-apply a wax, sealant, or some other form of paint protection.

For faint-very light swirling, and haze, you of course want a very gentle-mild-fine finishing polish. Like some would say, you don't use a cannon to kill a mosquito, and of course by the same token you don't want an aggressive compound, or a high cut/aggressive polish to correct such.

Some polishes, because of Oils, or other products as ingredients could possibly leave some slight hazing. Such hazing usually is removed once a wax, or sealant would be applied. Or if using a more durable Paint Coating, then some paint prep product would most likely be in order before the coating is applied.

A very good Fine Finishing Polish, very versatile, produces very good final results, can be used via Hand, DA, or Rotary, and is easily gotten in just about any town-city in USA, is Meguiars 205 Ultra Finishing Polish. At about $23-$27/qt, it works extremely well, and IMO one of Meguiars showcase products.

There's literal dozens of other great products from many manufacturers here, but this is one, and it is simple to use, easy to get, and produces stellar final results.

Hope this helps,
Mark

jankerson
11-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Not to be a smart ass, but really any polish works well with any DA. Some are easier to use than others. Menz, Wolfgang, & Optimum are all "idiot proof" and use high quality abrasives.

Read Mikes book. He'll tell ya.

There is no such thing as idiot proof as idiots can screw up anything even when given the best options.

On a car with mild swirls an idiot could make it worse than it was very easy just by making the wrong choices.

One can take the one of the best choices in product to handle the correction and choose the wrong machine/pad choice and completely screw up the finish on the car.

And being it's a black car everything will show up......

A person still has to make the correct product choice given a variety of machines, pads, polishes and compounds to achieve a good result.

Hardly idiot proof..... An idiot will always make the wrong choice unless they just get lucky....

HateSwirls
11-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Not to long ago I had some swirls, like you hard to see but they were there, my car is black also.
I used my GG6, speed 5 using an orange pad along with m205, and wow all gone, just make sure to follow all steps, wash,clay before you begin any type of polishing, more so when using a buffer.

If you have any more questions there are many here that will aid you:dblthumb2:

HateSwirls
11-09-2013, 05:17 PM
The OP never said he didn't know how to remove them he simply asked what would be the best product to use.
We all need to be more understandable when members ask us for help.

jankerson
11-09-2013, 05:20 PM
The OP never said he didn't know how to remove them he simply asked what would be the best product to use.
We all need to be more understandable when members ask us for help.

Oh I know.... :iagree:

I like your last post on were the OP should start.

M205 on a polishing pad more than likely will take care of it and leave an excellent finish ready for waxing. :xyxthumbs:

HateSwirls
11-09-2013, 05:25 PM
Often people go straight to an aggressive compound.
Often all is needed is a good mild polish, using the right pad is a plus.
Thanks, I forgot to mention about adding protection after polishing:dblthumb2:

Oh I know.... :iagree:

I like your last post on were the OP should start.

M205 on a polishing pad more than likely will take care of it and leave an excellent finish ready for waxing. :xyxthumbs:

MarkD51
11-09-2013, 05:35 PM
Last year at some point in the fall, the junker Kia Spectra I have was looking a little hazy, and was seeing some swirling again from washing.

I had a host of many products to choose from, some highly regarded here from the likes of Wolfgang, Menzerna, 3M, Meguiars, Optimum, Chemical Guys, etc etc.

I whipped out the Meggy's 205, since I had a fresh qt lying around.

I didn't even bother whipping out the PC DA, Pads, Cords, lights, and all that rigamorole.

Figured by the time I set all that up, start masking, etc, I could be done with the car by hand.

And sure enough, Meg's 205 I've found quite easy to work with by hand, easy on with a MF Applicator, applied virtually like a wax, did one panel at a time, apply, rub every which way, and wipe off with an MF Towel.

I was mighty satisfied, and I think within 30-40 minute's time, I was done hand polishing the entire vehicle, which has a dark Magenta Red Metallic Paint.

The words "very nice"! came to mind, and I liked that the product didn't kill me by hand.

The original poster hadn't mentioned what degree of expertise he possesses, nor what type of equipment-tools on hand, so I thought such a versatile, and very high quality polish such as Meguiars 205 would be a great all around choice no matter what.

Meguairs might sometimes be overlooked, not the latest, and greatest, but they've had a long time to get their products down.

I very much like the product, and I myself will always be keeping Meg's 205 in my little bag of tricks.
Mark

jankerson
11-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Last year at some point in the fall, the junker Kia Spectra I have was looking a little hazy, and was seeing some swirling again from washing.

I had a host of many products to choose from, some highly regarded here from the likes of Wolfgang, Menzerna, 3M, Meguiars, Optimum, Chemical Guys, etc etc.

I didn't even bother whipping out the PC DA, Pads, Cords, lights, and all that rigamorole.

Figured by the time I set all that up, start masking, etc, I could be done with the car by hand.

And sure enough, Meg's 205 I've found quite easy to work with by hand, easy on with a MF Applicator, applied virtually like a wax, did one panel at a time, apply, rub every which way, and wipe off with an MF Towel.

I was mighty satisfied, and I think within 30-40 minute's time, I was done hand polishing the entire vehicle, which has a dark Magenta Red Metallic Paint.

The words "very nice"! came to mind, and I liked that the product didn't kill me by hand.

The original poster hadn't mentioned what degree of expertise he possesses, nor what type of equipment-tools on hand, so I thought such a versatile, and very high quality polish such as Meguiars 205 would be a great all around choice no matter what.

Meguairs might sometime be overlooked, not the latest, and greatest, but they've had a long time to get their products down.

I very much like the product, and I myself will always be keeping Meg's 205 in my little bag of tricks.
Mark

M205 is my go to product. :xyxthumbs:

I find it's very versatile as in it can be used for error correction to jeweling just by changing pads and technique.

And with a cut of 4 on their scale it's not exactly weak for error correction with the right pad choice. Choose a more aggressive pad and speed and it will do better than some may expect while still leaving a highly polished finish.

HateSwirls
11-09-2013, 06:11 PM
Your post will help those that don't have a DA or new to the detailing world:dblthumb2:
All they need is a small bottle of 205, an applicator and a good MF towel to buff off the polish.
For those who may not know you can now buy an 8oz bottle of 105&205, let's you try it without having to buy the qt. size.

The 105 at times is hard to work with but the 205 is a pleasure to work with:dblthumb2:

Meguairs might sometimes be overlooked, not the latest, and greatest, but they've had a long time to get their products down.

Mark

HateSwirls
11-09-2013, 06:13 PM
+1. :iagree: totally

M205 is my go to product. :xyxthumbs:

I find it's very versatile as in it can be used for error correction to jeweling just by changing pads and technique.

And with a cut of 4 on their scale it's not exactly weak for error correction with the right pad choice. Choose a more aggressive pad and speed and it will do better than some may expect while still leaving a highly polished finish.

MarkD51
11-09-2013, 06:18 PM

There's of course a whole lotta truth in your statements. And I concur-agree.

Not pointing any fingers at any one member-person, but there are the various "camps of thought".

Such as "But my BMW cost $80K, and a $22 bottle of Meguiars can't possibly be any good, if I haven't spent what the average person makes in a week on a bottle of wax, or polish, it can't in anyway be good"! Of course as you gents-gals in the "know" know, this is false.

Thus, just throwing money at something, like somewhat in the audio community, you could put together a $100K Audio System, and still come away with mid-fi sound if there isn't some experience, knowledge, and wisdom imparted-used.

Snobbery, and many times in life, we can often be our own worst enemies.

Car care is fun, or it is supposed to be fun, and rewarding, just like any other hobby, or endeavor-art. Just like audio, and music, it is to be enjoyed, loved, embraced. And of course there's a learning curve.

Even this old man such as myself has learned a whole heck of a lot in my little over a year of membership here, and I have all of you to thank! A big thank you to all you fine folks! :xyxthumbs:

Mike Phillips, our master forum guru, and cutting edge professional has previously sang the praises about such products as Meg's Mirror Glaze 205. And not because he once worked for Meguiars either. Without a doubt, Mike himself has determined-learned what works, and what doesn't by hard experience, long hours invested, and how to achieve pleasing results, and as he says "work forward, not backwards".

All of us here have one major theme, and love in common. We cherish our Chariots!
MArk