PDA

View Full Version : Glass coating for fireplace windows?

yankees2452
11-09-2013, 10:34 AM
I have a wood burning fireplace that has glass windows and after using the fireplace for a while, they get a thick black film on them. It is very difficult to remove this black and it takes a lot of time and effort to keep them clean. I thought maybe a glass coating would make the glass easier to clean but I'm not sure if any of the coatings can hold up to the high heat of being inside a fireplace. If a coating won't work does anyone know of a way to make it easier to clean these windows. Thanks for your help.

KillaCam
11-09-2013, 12:51 PM
You could always try it. Maybe try a wheel coating or something like Cquartz which can handle very high heat before it degrades.

You might need to just clean it after every use with glass cleaner. Or try a glass polish like ceriglass to get all the soot off.

davidg
11-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Cheriglass kit from car pro might make cleaning easier. Depending on how big they are and how much room you have you can do it with a DA polisher.

If you use an apc then try a clay bar afterwards. Might cut down your work time.

jbjwallace
11-09-2013, 01:06 PM
Depending on the (brand) of stove that you have and the type of wood you are burning will affect your glass.

Go to a local stove dealer and ask for white off cleaner. That is what I use on all of my burning wood stoves.

I am a dealer.