PDA

View Full Version : Please Weigh In: Polymer Sealants vs. Ceramic/Silica Products

Pages : [1] 2 3

1953hogan
11-09-2013, 10:08 AM
I thought it would be interesting to start a thread to see which way this community is trending.

I've been using polymer sealants on my vehicles (UPGP, BF Crystal Seal, etc.). Just the other day my first bottle of Reload arrived, and it got me thinking...

Do you like the polymers...Optiseal, UPGP, Crystal Seal, etc.

Or do you like the ceramic coatings: Cquartz, new Pinnacle Black Label, etc.

What are your thoughts and what is your reasoning?

Thanks much!

Steve

1953hogan
11-10-2013, 12:29 AM
Hmm.... 106 views and zero replies. Okay people, I can take a hint.

Nothing to see here, folks. Let's move on.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using AG Online

2shiny
11-10-2013, 12:36 AM
depends on the car... I like to change and try new LSP's from time to time, so that is harder with coatings, but the water behaviour from a coating is just amazing, I'd sign up for that. that is what I like about Reload. wipes on so easily, but has amazing water behaviour. so I'd say, for my car: sealant

ObsessiveAutoDetail
11-10-2013, 01:26 AM
On my personal vehicles I use coatings. In business... My local market does not support the cost. Not to say I haven't done a few high end vehicles - but I'm more of a production shop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

swanicyouth
11-10-2013, 04:34 AM
I use conventional products. Why? Because I like to strip everything off and lightly polish the paint 3 times a year or so. A coating would be a waste. My cars stay super clean. I never need to clay either. After I wash, cars always pass baggy test. But, I may switch to a coating for my DD one of these days. With the Pinnacle coating, you get enough just to keep reapplying it. But, I haven't seen anyone show it beads and sheets water better than anything else yet.

2shiny
11-10-2013, 06:11 AM
I might go for a coating this summer after a good detail, just for the ease on my DD. and as the paint marrs very easily, might be good. and I won't have that mich time to do my own car I'm afraid. .. but I'd go for hard body and use their reparation often enough to keep it good.
will experiment with sealants and waxes on the other car.

jpegs13
11-10-2013, 06:42 AM
I go with coatings on my DD's and conventional on the garage queens

silverfox
11-10-2013, 07:10 AM
Coatings are certainly getting better but they do have some characteristics that some folks may steer clear of :

1) they are finicky to apply at certain environmental variables and much less forgiving than waxes or sealants if you mess it up. You could end up making things much worse unless you have had experience with them.

2) they are not something you want to use if you don't like how they look. You are stuck with them for years and finally

3) if you top them you are wasting your time and money buying them in the first place. You may just as well just apply the topper as the LSP and forget the coating because topping the coating takes away the properties you bought them for in the first place which makes no sense or cents.

FUNX650
11-10-2013, 07:19 AM
I understand the premise behind your thread-starter.

But:
Just because an LSP may be labeled as being a "ceramic/silica product"
doesn't always mean there aren't any polymers present in their formulations.

Bob

Mike lambert
11-10-2013, 07:26 AM
We only install c quartz finest, on my car I have it, but also put ammo on top. Just because I can! We have had an explosion in requests for coatings. Both on dd and exotics. I think it is both durability and great looks. If we do not do a coating, it is for now ammo skin.

swanicyouth
11-10-2013, 08:04 AM
I understand the premise behind your thread-starter.

But:
Just because an LSP may be labeled as being a "ceramic/silica product"
doesn't always mean there aren't any polymers present in their formulations.

Bob

True. I think the DP stuff has both.

HateSwirls
11-10-2013, 08:22 AM
I use Griot's Paint Sealant on my car and truck.
My car is black SS paint and was told Cquartz & Opti-Coat isn't something I should use but plan on using them on motorcycles ,I have a few to do soon.

According to Mike DP Paint Coating is the way for me to go but I'll have to wait until spring.
One problem that plays on my mind is the paint swirls up fairly easy even though I'm very careful in how I wash and dry it, would is be a waste of money to coat it?

Question:

Why wouldnt Cquartz or Opti-Coat work well on SS paint?
Streaks, durability issues?

Old Tiger
11-10-2013, 09:20 AM
Coatings are certainly getting better but they do have some characteristics that some folks may steer clear of :

1) they are finicky to apply at certain environmental variables and much less forgiving than waxes or sealants if you mess it up. You could end up making things much worse unless you have had experience with them.

2) they are not something you want to use if you don't like how they look. You are stuck with them for years and finally

3) if you top them you are wasting your time and money buying them in the first place. You may just as well just apply the topper as the LSP and forget the coating because topping the coating takes away the properties you bought them for in the first place which makes no sense or cents.
Well said John and spot on! That being said, as most of you know, I drank the coating Kool Ade a few years back! I have installed OC Pro the most. CarPro is a better look IMO. Ive used G|Techniq C1 and Element 119 System X. ReLoad, Hydro and Permanon are the only toppers I use because they enhance the hydrophobic qualities of the coatings. Even a sealant like UPGP will foul a coating.

FUNX650
11-10-2013, 09:51 AM
Question:

Why wouldnt Cquartz or Opti-Coat work well on SS paint?
Streaks, durability issues?
One answer for Optimum Coatings on SS-paint can be found here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/71714-please-help-me-coatings.html

And...From this above thread:

which would be best for my car being its SS paint?

You may have to ask AVI@CarPro, or Corey@CarProUSA for THE Definitive answer for CQuartz' Coatings on SS.

:)

Bob

Shortspark
11-10-2013, 10:03 AM
I don't use coatings. Never have and hope I never will. And not because they are super expensive or hard to apply. I have said it before and I'll say it again - these coatings take the fun out of detailing. I'm not talking about pro detailers that have to make a living at this or must use the products if demanded by their customers. I'm talking about the majority of us who do this because it is a hobby, therapy or just because we like working on and looking at our ride.

Once you put these coatings on you are talking a year or two and in some cases, even more. I love to experiment with different products, strip and apply, strip again in a couple months and apply something else - so on and so forth. I want to rub on my paint and see the fruits of my labor for the simple reason that I enjoy doing it. I want to use different products in the never ending quest to find the perfect "look", even if I know I will never achieve perfection and that I will go broke trying. Don't make it so easy for me that I spray something on, walk away and forget it for a couple years because if you do I will no longer have a complete hobby, only a partial and incomplete one.

I appreciate the advances in technology but it sort of reminds me of the old days when I drove four speed on the floor stick Hemis'. I don't want to give up my automatic transmission but I had more control of what I was doing and a better overall driving experience with my manual transmission. I was truly connected with the car as one and it was a ball cranking the gears to red line as I went through the shift points. It is the same with detailing as far as I am concerned - you can advance the technology as far as you want, just don't take all the fun out of it.