PDA

View Full Version : Is Applying Pain Sealant to a unfresh Paint job Counter-Productive?

Pages : [1] 2

pcrcool
11-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Ive been doing a lot of searching on AutoGeek here about this, and am confused still.

I was basically wanting to use Nu Finish car polish liquid after washing my car to make it really shiny, I hear its really good product. However its considered a paint sealant. And I have NEVER put paint sealant or any type of thing like that on my car before, so the paint has obviously has been unprotected all this time since I got the car. Faded and got dirty over time. So would it be pointless to use Nu finish at this point, is it something you have to start using from the start when you first get the car? Or on a new paint job?

Ex, someone posted this:
"Sealants are best applied directly to a perfectly prepped surface that has been stripped of all contaminants with something like Klean Strip Prep All or DuPont Prep Sol. That allows the sealant to bond to the paint and will give you the best durability." ...Is that necessary? If thats the case, I probably wouldn't have any plans to do all that.

Thanks

Vegas Transplant
11-08-2013, 03:58 PM
You can get the answers you seek in the first minute of their youtube video.

FUNX650
11-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Ex, someone posted this:
"Sealants are best applied directly to a perfectly prepped surface that has been stripped of all contaminants with something like
Klean Strip Prep All or DuPont Prep Sol. That allows the sealant to bond to the paint and will give you the best durability." ...

Is that necessary?
If thats the case, I probably wouldn't have any plans to do all that.

That quote was probably intended for those that have, or will have, compounded/polished their vehicles' paint...
and are concerned about removing polishing residues/oils/etc., if any, left from those processes...
and prior to any Sealant applications.

IMHO...
You will not have to worry about any of this "removal process" when applying NU-Finish.

:)

Bob

Flash Gordon
11-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Your paint doesn't have to be new to apply a sealant, it just needs to be clean and free of all contaminents

Nu Finish !!! :awesome:

pcrcool
11-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay thanks guys, Will give it a shot!

Flash Gordon
11-08-2013, 04:05 PM
Okay thanks guys, Will give it a shot!

Do you have claybar?

pcrcool
11-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Do you have claybar?

I do not.... I do know what it is though, seen videos of Mike demonstrating it. There's so many things I need to try. I think this is what I'll try buying & doing for the 1st time:

1st: Meguiar's Smooth Surface Clay Kit
2nd: Nu Finish Car Polish
3rd: Mothers Carnauba Wax
(In that order)

Thanks for mentioning it.

Flash Gordon
11-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Claybar will make a world of difference in the final outcome

FUNX650
11-08-2013, 04:28 PM
@OP:

Just got through re-reading your thread-starter title:

Re: "Is Applying Pain Sealant to a unfresh Paint job Counter-Productive"

-Seems as though I originally missed where it says:..."Pain Sealant"...
-So now...I will answer Yes!...to that part of your question,
as that sometimes will pertain to NU-Finish.

-You'd probably be better off claying; and, then: Apply the Mother's Carnauba Wax.

Bob

pcrcool
11-08-2013, 04:32 PM
@OP:

Seems as I originally missed where it says: "Pain Sealant".

So now...I will answer Yes!...to that part of your question,

You'd probably be better off claying and then applying the Mother's Carnauba Wax.

Bob

Oh, so you recommend me just skipping the Nu Finish polish (sealant), and instead just use: (1)Clay bar, then (2)Mothers Carnauba wax?

FUNX650
11-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Oh, so you recommend me just skipping the Nu Finish polish (sealant), and instead just use: (1)Clay bar, then (2)Mothers Carnauba wax?
You bet!

Instead...I'd rather go with:
-Claying (per: "The Baggie Test");
-Meguiar's Cleaner Wax (A12...Maroon bottle);
-Mother's Carnauba Wax.

Bob

conthedon
11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
Or if you wanted clay, nu finish, and wax. But im not familar with nu finish so im unsure if youre not suppose to top.

spiralout462
11-08-2013, 07:23 PM
@OP:

-Seems as though I originally missed where it says:..."Pain Sealant"...
-So now...I will answer Yes!...to that part of your question,

-You'd probably be better off claying; and, then: Apply the Mother's Carnauba Wax.

Bob

:) I think what Bob is saying is that Nu-Finish can be a little more trouble than what it's worth. From my understanding, the application of this product can cause a certain amount of "pain". That being said the Mothers product you mention is highly recommended by many in this industry due to its ease of application, great looks and good protection.:xyxthumbs:

cleanmycorolla
11-08-2013, 10:12 PM
Nufinish. Avoid that stuff.

You came all the way to this site. My suggestion is read everything you can, don't purchase anything until you know exactly what you're doing. Learn about claying, cleaning etc....these are important things that create the shine.

Good luck but yeh ditch the nufinish that's no bueno

gibson24
11-08-2013, 11:21 PM
Here's a simple approach with outstanding results for a hobbyist...

1. Wash/dry
2. Mother's/ Meguirs clay kit
3. Megs Deep Crystal cleaner (step 1)
4. Megs Deep Crystal polish (step 2)
5. Megs Deep Crystal carnauba wax (step 3)

Each Megs Deep Crystal product is sold seperatly but clearly says "step 1, 2, 3" on the label for easy direction.

All OTC products at a good price with awesome results. Let me add though you may want to do add a sealant to make the reward, that is your shiny car last longer for you. I'm sure Mother's has a similar "step" kit you could go with also.

Get the elbow grease out...Lol. You should be very happy with the results. Oh, and don't forget the tire shine! I'm a big fan of "Hotshine" for an OTC product.

IMHO. Good luck! Do some before and after pics for yourself.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AG Online