PDA

View Full Version : Opti-Coat on other things

builthatch
11-08-2013, 11:25 AM
i use Opti-Coat Pro on applicances and it's amazing. i have coated my blender and just did my new toaster oven. it's so easy because you don't need to prep much past wiping down well with IPA solution prior to coating. sometimes on that grainy stainless they use there can be slight light or dark spots that you can easily remove with Optimum metal polish. just lightly polish with the grain...but not too much. just enough to remove the spot. then re-prep with IPA solution. the temperature rating for Opti-Coat is way higher than what any of the appliances hit on the exterior surfaces.

it makes it SO much easier to clean and prevents the corrosion that occurs on the cheap stainless they use for appliances.

Evan.J
11-08-2013, 11:33 AM
Cool! I opti-coated my Oakley Radar frames

MattPersman
11-09-2013, 08:02 AM
I did my tool box and two carts at work with opti coat I don't know if its placebo effect but they are much easier to keep clean and I am dirty a lot

Challynger
11-09-2013, 08:31 AM
Sweet! I think I'll try this on my stainless dishwasher that's a PITA to keep clean. So you just prepped with IPA? I think I might break out the DA and hit it with coating prep polish first. Necessary? No more necessary than coating a dishwasher in the first place...

:pc7424:

jsgntulok
11-09-2013, 09:50 AM
Sweet! I think I'll try this on my stainless dishwasher that's a PITA to keep clean.
:pc7424:

I use Megs APC diluted 15:1 to clean my stainless appliances. Very easy. Just remember to wipe with the grain.

builthatch
11-09-2013, 05:11 PM
I did my tool box and two carts at work with opti coat I don't know if its placebo effect but they are much easier to keep clean and I am dirty a lot

no it definitely helps a ton.

builthatch
11-09-2013, 05:43 PM
ugh, why does AG limit the edit time for posts? so incredibly annoying and unnecessary.

ANYWAY...yes, just multiple IPA wipedowns prior to coating. like said though, if there is a stubborn spot like what is on stuff even when brand new, esp. on the grainy stainless, i'll take some mild metal polish like OPT metal polish and lightly rub with the grain until it's gone. you don't want to polish too much imo or you'll notice it as being a brighter area. then i'll IPA wipe that area well to assure it's squeaky clean and coat.

i like coating things in the kitchen because not only does it keep the surface protected but it makes it so finger prints, grease and grime wipe off with nothing more than a soapy sponge and some water.

Shirotai
11-09-2013, 06:49 PM
I opticoated both my bicycles last year - a 7-year-old road bike and 3-year-old mountain bike. It makes keeping them clean so much easier. I ride to work every day and a quick wash with OCW on weekends keeps them in very good condition.

The preparation was a little fiddly, I took the effort to wash and clay the frames before hand polishing with Optimum Hyper Polish (it was the middle of winter and I couldn't try my new box of AG stuff on anything else!) then the OC. After nearly a year they still bead well and are easy to clean. I still had enough left over in the syringe for my new car's winter wheels (which I did last month) and the actual car (probably next April or May).

I also did the mirror in the shower but it wasn't so successful.

builthatch
11-09-2013, 07:30 PM
I also did the mirror in the shower but it wasn't so successful.

why?

Shirotai
11-09-2013, 07:48 PM
why?

For the first few days the water sheeted off nicely but after that the water formed beads on the mirror which reduced visibility. I worked out that simply wiping shampoo on the mirror made it completely wet so I could see my ugly mug better while shaving.

It's not a criticism of OC as a product at all, just (for me) a less-than-ideal application. :-)

cleanmycorolla
11-10-2013, 12:10 AM
I opti coated an old MacBook I had. An old white one, really has kept it nice!