PDA

View Full Version : Glass coating for shower walls

Pages : [1] 2

Mikas46
11-08-2013, 09:07 AM
Hi everybody! Winter approaching fast, less detailing and i wonder-if i use glass coating for my glass walls in the shower that would provide same benefits as car's glass, anybody have used? What brand? Thanks

zmcgovern45
11-08-2013, 09:11 AM
I have heard of people opti-coating their shower doors and walls... have never tried it myself, but others have said it helps to make it easier to clean. Less soap scum/water spots. Only one way to find out! Let us know how it goes :)

PlayDoh
11-10-2013, 03:37 PM
I just recently considered the very same thing. Yet half my shower is glass the other half is plastic and I'd like to coat both surfaces. We have well water which is super hard and we get a rust colored scale build up on everything.
BTW using Muratic Acid cleans the scale and water spots off like a charm. Not the least aggressive method, but its not expensive. Lysol toilet cleaner works too.
I'm not sure what to use on the plastic walls yet, I've even thought of the same floor polish I use on my vinyl composite tiles (commercial tiles). I know a bunch of people use the same polish on their RV's and boats, yet I wouldn't advocate that use.

Nick McKees37
11-10-2013, 04:39 PM
I use Collinite 845 on tiles and Pinnacle Crystal Clear Glass Cleaner with Water Repellent on all shower glass.

Needless to say, the bathroom stays clean. :props:

Kacz
11-10-2013, 04:44 PM
Spraying down tiles, glass or whatever else is in the shower/bathroom with something like harsh cleaners that kill bacteria is necessary.

My guess would be it would eliminate or at least nearly breakdown any sealant put down.

I'm a clean freak and do this nearly weekly, so I would think this would be useless for me to do.

Just a thought.

PiPUK
11-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Double edged sword. Hydrophobic surfaces are not either self cleaning or easy to clean. In factual reality, they are quite the opposite. Hydrophobic surfaces are hard to dirty. Hydrophilic surfaces are easy to clean/self cleaning.

Hydrophobic surfaces mean that soiling is easy to remove whilst it is wet. When you allow it to dry, any dirt will concentrate increasingly into a bead and then leave a very definite spot. This should be very familiar to detailers. It should also be known that these spots can etch and this is particularly the case with soap scums. I personally do not advocate the use of hydrophobic coatings for shower screens because it tends to leave a water spotted finish which is extremely hard to clean without really nasty chemicals. Moreover, hydrophobic coatings are fog magnets - again, scientific reality, not conjecture!

ScottB
11-10-2013, 06:18 PM
I too was thinking about the new Pinnacle Surface Coating ...

ryanbabz71
11-10-2013, 06:28 PM
I have used the new dp glass coating. Seems to help clean the waterspots over time easier they aren't baked onto the glass

Ryan

07RS4
11-10-2013, 06:36 PM
Our water is really bad here in NorCal. Twice a year (for the last year and a half) I've cleaned up the glass with DP glass restorer and my Flex, then treated the glass with Aquapel. Believe it or not the scrubbing bubbles or the bathroom cleaner with bleach did not have any noticeable affect on the durability of the product. Usually about the 6 month mark it starts to get water spots again, and the water doesn't sheet in certain areas. I just do the process all over again.

There are probably cheaper options on the sealant, but I bought the six pack and had to use them up.

allenk4
11-10-2013, 06:44 PM
Available from Sister Company, Autopia

GTechniq G5 Water Repellent Coating (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/gtechniq-g5-glass-coating.html?productid=gtechniq-g5-glass-coating&channelid=FROOG&utm_source=CSEs&utm_medium=GoogleProductSearch&utm_campaign=CSE&gclid=CJCt_uiy27oCFWtk7Aod_D4ALA)

The GTechniq website indicates that it is more water repellant than thir C1 glass coating, but less durable.

G5 Water Repellent Coating for Glass and Perspex | Glass (http://gtechniqna.com/glass/g5-water-repellent-coating/)

Kacz
11-10-2013, 07:21 PM
....Believe it or not the scrubbing bubbles or the bathroom cleaner with bleach did not have any noticeable affect on the durability of the product....

That's good news: I've always thought about doing it (my first home), but never decided to take the time.

I'm a crazy cleaner so I figured my work would be erased with one cleaning session using a product like you mentioned.

Good to know and may take the time to do this within these next few months.

Mikas46
11-10-2013, 08:00 PM
Ok guys I ordered permanon platinum 100ml and will try it when arrive. I'm only planning to use on a glass walls not tiles. I counted I only need 15ml for 2 glass wall so I'll see how it's go and the best part is-plenty staff will be in the bottle to try for the car. LOL

07RS4
11-10-2013, 09:47 PM
That's good news: I've always thought about doing it (my first home), but never decided to take the time.

I'm a crazy cleaner so I figured my work would be erased with one cleaning session using a product like you mentioned.

Good to know and may take the time to do this within these next few months.

We kind of have to here if you don't want your shower looking like garbage. One or two showers with no protection the glass looks horrible.

I would say I did an average of 2 times a month spraying the walls and glass of the shower down with scrubbing bubbles, so it wasn't anything excessive. When I ran out of that cleaner, by wife had the bathroom cleaner w/bleach and used that a few times. It would just act like water when sprayed on the glass, it would just sheet on the surface. Maybe I would get more durability if I didn't use any cleaner, so I can't say it didn't affect it, but it still lasts at least six months.

A quick sheet rinsing of the glass when your showers done to remove the soap, and your gtg.

spiralout462
11-10-2013, 10:10 PM
I treated my shower to Duragloss #501 a few months ago. It does seem to stay cleaner, longer. We do however dry everything after every use.

PlayDoh
11-11-2013, 02:45 AM
Ya a squeegee is very effective, yet not one of my favorite things to do after a shower, lol.