PDA

View Full Version : How do you remove grease marks from paint?

Pages : [1] 2

DetailingGeek
11-08-2013, 08:17 AM
Maybe because I need a paint job anyway, every single mechanic, private or at a shop, ends up getting my car's paint dirty with grease marks. I know I need a paint job anyway, but most of my current paint job actually looks pretty good, and I try to keep it that way.

Whats the best way of removing grease marks from your cars paint? Some of them are from up to 9 months ago.

Im thinking dawn dish soap or wax and grease remover. Then I know I have to reapply some wax. Should I overlap the areas' edges when waxing? Beause I dont see how I can control exactly what will be removed with the soap, especially since it will be dripping down. Plus I last waxed the car about 5 months ago, so it will look weird to have certain areas freshly waxed and certain areas not.

Also if I use soap.. Can I just use a regular sponge? I dont want to buy another nice car wash sponge just to get it greasy right away.

Also, for the future, is there any way to remove the grease marks when theyre kinda fresh? Hopefully without having to wax it again. Usually I get someone I know to do the work, and I could try to wipe it off within an hour or so of it getting dirty. With a shop though, the grease has plenty of days to set in. I like to do all my work myself, but some things I just need a shop to do.

St.LightDetails
11-08-2013, 09:20 AM
Your plan of attack seems similar to what I would do assuming you've already tried a less aggressive soap. I wouldn't use a sponge I'd think you'd be better off sacrificing one microfiber towel just for the grease spots, been my experience that most sponges are pretty hard on paint. And if you haven't waxed the car in five months why not just make a day or half day of it and do the rest of the car as well? As far as removing the grease if hasn't been sitting for days and the car has a fresh coat of wax on it quick detailer or even spray wax would probably do the trick.

Pureshine
11-08-2013, 10:29 AM
Just use APC and a MF towel that's all you really need and if you want to wash it off dawn will remove the grease for you.

DetailKitty
11-08-2013, 10:50 AM
+1 APC should do it.

And I'd be pissed at the mechanics for getting my car dirty! I understand it happens, but damn! At least try!

Flash Gordon
11-08-2013, 11:30 AM
Detail your car before having it serviced. If your car looks like you don't care, they won't either

DetailingGeek
11-08-2013, 12:05 PM
The quick detailer and APC did not work, and that was on fresh stains from a few hours ago. Yes I am kinda irritated it always happens.. I wash it every week, and did a real good clay, polish, and wax 5 months ago. I think it still looks pretty good. Its just a lot of minor imperfections in the paint which add up and make people think its not worth respecting. The inside is kept spotless. I think the mechanics try, but they just get a little lazy because of all the cars they work on.

DetailingGeek
11-08-2013, 08:39 PM
What do you guys think about wet sanding it, maybe with 1500 then 2000? Then buffing, then waxing. That wont remove the clear coat will it? Or are you supposed to remove wax and grease before sanding?

beamerstrumpet
11-08-2013, 09:10 PM
Try Naptha (zippo fluid) b4 going to sanding. If Naptha wont get it, then move up to Acetone, if that wont remove it, then you have issues. You will have to rewax any area thoes chemicals touch. Worst case try laquer thinner. Any 3 of the above should melt the grease right off.

Flash Gordon
11-08-2013, 09:54 PM
What do you guys think about wet sanding it, maybe with 1500 then 2000? Then buffing, then waxing. That wont remove the clear coat will it? Or are you supposed to remove wax and grease before sanding?

Are you being serious?!?!?

Of course you should remove the wax and grease before sanding

:)

Kenny94
11-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Detail your car before having it serviced. If your car looks like you don't care, they won't either

Amen....:D

Pureshine
11-08-2013, 09:58 PM
Are you being serious?!?!?

Of course you should remove the wax and grease before sanding

:)

:iagree:

Hazcat
11-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Alcohol should work on grease. If your car is white you might need to use a light polish to get the stain off. In the future have a fresh coat of wax on it prior to taking it in so the grease and oil won't be able to adhere and wipe off easily. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

beamerstrumpet
11-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Alcohol should work on grease. If your car is white you might need to use a light polish to get the stain off. In the future have a fresh coat of wax on it prior to taking it in so the grease and oil won't be able to adhere and wipe off easily. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

I would use denatured. (almost no water in the mix) Ididnt add that to my other list. Should have, thanks HAZCAT :)

DetailingGeek
11-09-2013, 03:09 PM
Well I am gonna start painting stuff, so I think I will just use wax and grease remover and then wax it again. That should get even the old stains off right?

beamerstrumpet
11-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Not to be rude,, but why ask a question that your not going to try any of the suggestions? Your wax and grease remover should be fine. its probably a mix of toulene and naptha or some varient fo stuff that has been mentioned in this thread. Goof off is mostly toulene if I remember correctly. Good Luck let us know how it goes.