PDA

View Full Version : What Does MF Stand For?

Pages : [1] 2

hamlyn
11-07-2013, 06:47 PM
I am not a big fan of acronyms. We say RAM when we mean to say memory. RAM is a car. Actually, it’s a male sheep. Or was that an Indian god?

I see people talk about MF towels. My initial thought: Why are Autogeekonline members so angry at their towels? Even today I continue to read mf the way it is not intended.

I joined Autogeekonline a couple of months ago seeking to get educated on the art of detailing. I was not prepared for the sheer volume of acronyms in use. One guy said: I actually like using OC but this stuff looks even easier, just like my current WOWA product on my car WG DGLS & BFCS.
After two months on Autogeekonline I think he meant using Opti-Coat is just as easy to use as Wolfgang Deep Gloss Liquid Seal and BlackFire Crystal Seal (had to look that up).

Many are head scratchers. Some are straight acronyms like WGDGPS 3.0, BFWD, ULW, LSP. Others are names attached to full names or words like Wolfgang DGLSS, Wolfgang UC, WG Exterior Trim Sealant. Others use acronyms as verbs like OG’ed. And a few wear these acronyms as part of their signature, like a badge of honor.

Much of the time acronyms are used in poorly constructed sentences with bad spelling and questionable punctuation. While I can’t speak for others, I simply ignore such posts and focus on the ones that people take the time to write properly. One would need a conversion table on the left navigation bar to effectively follow some threads.

If you spend the time to write comments that you want other people to read, why not take the time to spell out the message you are trying to convey rather than chase them away with the use of acronyms that many of us cannot decipher quickly.

Something I realized very quickly on this forum is that our resident experts like Mike and Nick rarely ever use acronyms or take shortcuts. Many other regular contributors also take the time to post useful, well documented articles. Thank you!

SYMAWD
11-07-2013, 06:52 PM
Maybe they should just add auto expand to the acronyms here.

cleanmycorolla
11-07-2013, 07:01 PM
1) there's a thread with acronyms in it to familiarize yourself

2) appreciate the fact people contribute at all, if no one did there really wouldn't be a forum for you to read and complain about ;)

custmsprty
11-07-2013, 07:06 PM
WTH IDK WTBD is LOL :cheers:

swanicyouth
11-07-2013, 07:07 PM
There are some common acronyms you will pick up pretty quick: OC, WG, BF, MF, HD/3D, LSP, 2BM, ONR, WOWA, etc... But some guys make up their own. I tend to use the common ones, however, if I'm talking about "Scholl Concepts" I will type it out once or twice and then make it "SC".

Nothing is worse than when someone uses the wrong acronym. How do you know it's wrong? Because nobody understands what they are talking about.

Choop145
11-07-2013, 07:12 PM
When i write a comment or post, I always start with using the entire product name and if mentioned again in the same comment, i'll use the acronym.

By the way. You are right. MF Towels are Samuel L. Jackson's line of detail towels.

Samuel L. Jackson's M$%%er F%$^'in Towels!

hamlyn
11-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Quite frankly, I was not complaining. I was merely presenting my observation to let those that use acronyms heavily, that they are losing many readers such as myself. And if you wish to expand your readership, then simply make an effort to emulate the experts like Mike and others who document to address the seasoned as well as the new.
I am happy to have found this forum, believe me. I have invested well over $3k on autocare products since September because of this site, so the value is not lost on me.

hamlyn
11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Maybe they should just add auto expand to the acronyms here.

That's a pretty goods idea.

ScottB
11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
MF=Microfiber towels

hamlyn
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM

Good one. That is how I read mf towels now. I can't seem to shake it.

custmsprty
11-07-2013, 07:19 PM
The other thing to understand is chances are a thread has already been started on most questions at some point (like the flex vs rupes comparison) so if you use search you'll find it. So I guess it's because of the sheer repetition of typing it over and over. I hear you, many times I'm like what is that? But I use search and find it most times or just ask. So carry on and have fun, this is a great forum with great people.

Vegas Transplant
11-07-2013, 07:22 PM
To each their own. If I see an acronym that I don't understand I just keep on reading. I'm not interested in most of the products anyway. But I've been here for a minute.

Hang around long enough and you may be converted as well.

hamlyn
11-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Yes, you are correct. It is a process, and if it is important enough, I will look it up. And I do, sometimes.

custmsprty
11-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes, you are correct. It is a process, and if it is important enough, I will look it up. And I do, sometimes.

So share with us what your purchases were and feel free to use acronyms :D

kpangelinan
11-07-2013, 07:48 PM
1) there's a thread with acronyms in it to familiarize yourself

2) appreciate the fact people contribute at all, if no one did there really wouldn't be a forum for you to read and complain about ;)

I'd like to see that thread if someone doesn't mind taking the post....unless you were just joking and I'm gullible.

WTH IDK WTBD is LOL :cheers:

Hahaha....I'm still learning acronyms and the only one I didn't get was WTBD! Im the MAN

When i write a comment or post, I always start with using the entire product name and if mentioned again in the same comment, i'll use the acronym.

By the way. You are right. MF Towels are Samuel L. Jackson's line of detail towels.

Hahahahaha.......you took the time to write out SLJ's name and even cap the first letters! Super funny..made me LOL (means laugh out loud).

Quite frankly, I was not complaining. I was merely presenting my observation to let those that use acronyms heavily, that they are losing many readers such as myself. And if you wish to expand your readership, then simply make an effort to emulate the experts like Mike and others who document to address the seasoned as well as the new.
I am happy to have found this forum, believe me. I have invested well over $3k on autocare products since September because of this site, so the value is not lost on me.

I'm not so sure readers are being lost because of acronyms, but I will say your post made me want to take the time for sure because they really have been a PITA! But it hasn't swayed me from wanted to dig deep.....the hundreds of youtube videos don't have acronyms in them for sure.

My guess is it saves time especially if one's typing on their phone.