PDA

View Full Version : any experience with these 3 pressure washers?

Pages : [1] 2

aim4squirrels
11-07-2013, 04:56 PM
Hey All,

I'm new here, but have searched the ever-loving snot out of this and other forums for info on a new pressure washer.

I need to go electric (gas is out of the question, can't sneak out of the house on Saturday morning to wash the car and keep the baby asleep with gas), and keep it less that $400 altogether. My old Karcher K2.28 Wal-Mart special bit the dust after 5 years and I've been researching the following 3 pressure washers:

Karcher K5.740 Karcher K5.740 - X Series 2000 PSI (Electric-Cold Water) Pressure Washer (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/Karcher-K5.740-Pressure-Washer/p6276.html)

Already have the bayonet fitting for my MTM hydro cannon from the previous Karcher, and the reviews for the newer X series seem to be much better. Trying to gauge whether PSI or GPM is the bigger factor in getting a healthy foam out of the MTM Hydro, the poor 1.25 GPM and 1550PSI on the K2.28 didn't do as well with my harder water. Very soupy.

Karcher K5.85M
Amazon.com: Karcher Modular Series 1850PSI Electric Pressure Washer with 25-Foot Hose and Hose Reel, K 5.85 M Plus: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Karcher-Electric-Pressure-5-85-Plus/dp/B000PGA4OG)

This pressure washer has almost no review information out about it. The reviews on Amazon are not as helpful either, mostly twisting off about problems inherit with any consumer level PW. What is intriguing me about it is the brass hose connect, the aluminum pump, the slightly higher GPM of 1.5 vs the 1.4GPM for the K5.740 (I think that might help with the foam cannon just a bit, and 2000PSI on the K5.740 might be high for auto paint). It also seems to address the hose reel being too high up for stability issues on the K5.740 as well as the breakable plastic Quick connect up front when said unit falls. It appears to be discontinued, but there seems to be plenty of stock out there.

The last is this, a BE P151EPN
BE P1515EPN - 1500 PSI Prosumer Hand Carry (Electric Cold Water) Pressure Washer (http://www.pressurewashersdirect.com/BE-P1515EPN-Pressure-Washer/p10248.html)

I can't find any info on it save for what Pressure Washers Direct has in their 9 reviews. I also asked Mike a question about the included wand and if it could accept an MTM Hydro Foam Cannon and his reply was that a whole other MTM gun, hose, and spray attachments would be needed to make all of it work as this wand uses a vario-spray head that apparently is not detachable. That's an extra $50 bucks. The ability for the pump to be rebuilt and the fact that it's a triplex design is a great feature, as is the lower pressure of 1500PSI coupled with a 1.6GPM flow rate.

If anyone has information on the pros and cons of these units, or personal experience with them, I'd love the info to make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Saab-Daniel
11-07-2013, 05:13 PM
I want to listen in on this conversation, would like a pressure washer too :-)

zmcgovern45
11-07-2013, 05:37 PM
I have the Karcher K5.740 X Series 2000 PSI and it has been a good machine overall so far.

A couple minor annoyances... 1) the attachment that is meant to hold the extension cord when not in use SUCKS. it has fallen off many times and I finally don't even use it anymore. 2) the included plastic quick disconnects are pretty useless. buy some brass ones from the start and you'll be happy you did.

Other than that, I like it. It's relatively quiet so I don't feel like I am disturbing the neighbors, and it works well for detailing.

I used it to clean my entire fence as well... that took a while. A more powerful machine would have made that job a bit quicker :)

aim4squirrels
11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Awesome, thank you. That was pretty much in line with what I had read regarding the K5.740.

Anybody have input on the others?

NickBlaine
11-07-2013, 09:54 PM
In for opinions also. Looking to pick one up during holiday sales

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

oldmodman
11-08-2013, 04:45 AM
I will give the same advice that I have been giving for years now.

Go to Costco and buy whatever they are stocking that day. Keep the receipt and box so you can return it when it fails. And it WILL FAIL. All the plastic based cheap pressure washers develop the same failure. Eventually they start leaking water from the pump housing and then the motor will not shut off.

When that happens box it up, take it back to Costco, get your money back and walk over to the tool department and buy your next one.

I am on my fourth. And so far it has lasted the longest. It is a Snap-On branded machine.
But just rebranded, it's not manufactured by Snap-On.

aim4squirrels
11-08-2013, 01:47 PM
That's not a bad idea, I'd need to first get a Costco membership. I used to have one a long time ago, but I found they were a bit higher priced than Sam's Club. And with just me and my wife, buying in that kind of bulk is seldom necessary or cost effective.

aim4squirrels
11-09-2013, 05:16 PM
Went ahead and ordered the Karcher K5.740. We'll see how it does in a week or two.

aim4squirrels
11-15-2013, 11:20 PM
Quick update:

I received x series today.

Zach, I totally understand what you mean about that cord loop. It is worthless as constructed, but nothing a short panel screw or 2 couldn't fix.

The pressure washer itself is quieter than my old K2.28 that bit the dust. I ordered the Karcher fittings to make the PW work with my MTM Hydro and they arrived today as well.

The pressure washer itself packs a heck of a lot more wallop than the old one. I can spray the outside of the rims, wheel wells, and wheels clean with just water.

Foam from the MTM Hydro is MUCH better than the previous Karcher as well. 1550PSI and 1.25GPM just wasn't enough to really make it foam up correctly. Running the wash mitt over the foam is much smoother than it was before. I wouldn't say it's shaving cream type foam, but the soap does have the ability to build up on itself if you hold the foam stream in the same place on a panel of the vehicle. It wouldn't do that with the other PW.

I'm going to get some different quick connects that are brass and less restrictive than the plastic ones supplied. Also, a shorter run of 5/8" hose should up the oomph factor just a bit more.

finalwish
01-26-2014, 03:34 AM
According to this video, it looks like the BE 1500psi model connects to the foam cannon directly with no attachment. It seems to be very quiet machine.

Video: BE 1500PSI Prosumer Pressure Washer with MTM Foam Cannon (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903683)

VISITOR
02-03-2014, 11:03 PM
sorry to the OP, but I didn't want to start another thread on the same brand of pressure washer. I want to purchase a new pressure washer (gas) and was looking at this karcher which has a Honda engine. any comments on this one or something better within the price range of $300-$500?

Karcher 2600 psi 2.3 GPM Honda Engine Gas Pressure Washer-G 2600 VH at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-2600-psi-2-3-GPM-Honda-Engine-Gas-Pressure-Washer-G-2600-VH/203052242)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/71/714bac5a-9fe3-4359-a082-49dffabb7a3c_300.jpg

VISITOR
02-05-2014, 02:33 AM
^ anyone?

215Detailing
02-05-2014, 01:29 PM
KARCHER ELECTRIC has anyone found or use an UPGRADED gun hose (25ft or better) and if so where can it be purchased.

215Detailing
02-05-2014, 01:35 PM
sorry to the OP, but I didn't want to start another thread on the same brand of pressure washer. I want to purchase a new pressure washer (gas) and was looking at this karcher which has a Honda engine. any comments on this one or something better within the price range of $300-$500?

Karcher 2600 psi 2.3 GPM Honda Engine Gas Pressure Washer-G 2600 VH at The Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Karcher-2600-psi-2-3-GPM-Honda-Engine-Gas-Pressure-Washer-G-2600-VH/203052242)

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/71/714bac5a-9fe3-4359-a082-49dffabb7a3c_300.jpg
Spoke with salesperson, said this was ok and can be connected directly to a water tank even come skid mounted: PRESSURE WASHER | PRESSURE PRO | PRO POWER SERIES | AR RMV PUMP | PPS2527LAI (http://www.pwoutlet.com/PRESSURE_PRO_PRO_POWER_PPS2527LAI_PRESSURE_WASHER_ p/pps2527lai.htm)
hopes this helps

STPETEDALE
02-05-2014, 05:28 PM
^ anyone?

For a moment I was like wow!! A gx honda motor with a AR pump for under $500. Withfurther investigation photo is not actual unit. Its a Looks like a Honda Gcv motor with a garbave pump both are consider throw away. Worst case you'll get 6-12 months out of pump then you can buy a decent pump to mount to engine.I don't wanna sound like a jerk but dealing with washers for almost twenty years I know junk when I see it. The engine has to be a GX model if you go with honda. The pump must have brass manifold with ceramic plungers.Cat, Ar, general, comet pump.Northern tool has a nice section dedicated to washers and pumps. In my area these can be had for a few hundred slightly used.Seems to be alot of smoke and mirrors when it comes to pressure washers. Seems like they intentionally try and hide pumps engines etc.. You don't wanna show up to a customer's house and have to finagle with washer for ten minutes. My washer starts first pull everytime and it has thousands of hours of use.