PDA

View Full Version : Leather run (drip) marks, Megs D181

Dave Medvic
11-06-2013, 11:10 AM
Megs said their D181 Leather cleaner is toward the strong (Alkaline) end of the spectrum, I want to purchase something more PH balanced that's safer and save D181 for the bad stuff.

I left some run marks on my own car seat while testing and don't want to repeat this to a customer. I see a soft brush attachment online that attaches to a PC or Griots DA and will softly scrub leather it appears, but recognizing finished leather vs. unfinished is a problem for me, or leaving run marks on the vinyl.

I figure on using test spots, but am frustrated by how videos online make this seem so easy and I am wrestling with run marks and rubbing the dye right off if I scrub too much, no matter how gentle I am. I've looked thru other Leather threads from the past here and am not sure I see agreement among the folks here. Lighter colored leather that hasn't been maintained will be trouble for me if I can't come up with a safe process I can trust.

Flash Gordon
11-06-2013, 11:18 AM
When cleaning leather never spray the product onto the surface. Instead spray your product onto your cloth, then wipe. This will stop those pesky drip marks from appearing

:autowash:

SeaJay's
11-06-2013, 12:27 PM
Good advice from Flash.

I also would stay away from using a da and brush on leather. Better to pick up a vinyl/leather brush Vinyl & Leather Scrub Brush (http://www.autogeek.net/vilescbr.html).

This way your in full control of it and it will also limit sling from the spinning.

Spray your product (I prefer an APC like APC+ or Optimum power clean) onto the brush and gently work it into the leather, then wipe.