PDA

View Full Version : I got my first paying customer today...

ROB_302
11-06-2013, 02:11 AM
And boy did I under estimate it! First off, the customer was a super nice guy and was very happy with the results (Im scheduled to do his truck next week already) I detailed his wifes 2007ish BLACK Lexus IS350 and it looked like this all around: https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Camera%20Uploads/2013-11-05%2015.57.58.jpg?w=AABghB8EdvjmfpJdGo8J50ZJrj0Knm EYBA9tMUavRCMw_A

Also there were about 4-5 DEEP scratches on various parts of the car. I made sure he knew I wouldn't be able to erase the larger deeper scratches and he was ok with that, he just wanted most of the swirls gone and it be nice and shiny for his wife.

So I got to work with ONR first, then a quick run through with the claybar. To address the swirls I started with Meguiars Ultimate Polish which was working ok. I stepped up to Megs Ultimate Compound. This seemed to work equally well but was drying out fast on the surface and hard to wipe off so i went back to the UP. After much time spent on the hood, I realized I was getting caught up in making it perfect and if I continued, I would land up putting in 8hrs of work when I quoted the customer for 4hrs. So I moved on and finished the vehicle in 5.5hrs. I would say I removed 70% of swirls and made the larger scratches MUCH LESS noticeable if not gone (Sorry no after pics, my phone died and i left my camera at home:doh:). At the end of the day the customer was happy with his shiny and less swirly paint and he said he would refer me to everyone he knows.

The OCD side of me feels that I didn't finish the job but my back and the business side of me feels that I did what i could for this particular service.

Things I learned today:

I need knee pads
I need more polishing pads
I should try new (more aggressive/faster) polishes/swirl removers
I need to stop trying for a 100% perfect surface (unless thats what the customer wants)
My work ethic and attitude gained me a repeat customer and hopefully his positive recommendation

Anyways, I just wanted to share my experience.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions/feedback is always welcome!

goldendodo19
11-06-2013, 02:31 AM
You made some good points here. Especially the 100% correction if that's not what a customer wants. I think it's in all of us to want perfection but the reality of it is not everyone wants it and there's no reason to kill yourself for perfection when a customer just wants better.

I also underestimated my first paid job badly. Figured 6 hours took almost 10. Had to split it up bc I didn't budget enough time in the first day. Never made that mistake again.

At the end of the day it's all a learning experience and now the next time you know to over estimate time.

Look into the Meg's da microfiber system. You can get great results with it.

Pureshine
11-06-2013, 03:12 AM
Good job :). I looked at your website looks good :)

RLucky82
11-06-2013, 03:32 AM
you need to work on a few nice cars that the paint is really fffed. That way you will realize that 10 hours of work will only make it look 5% better then 4 hours of work and the customer will be just as happy. I'm not saying do cheap work, just set realistic goals for the job at hand. Daily drivers parked out side don't need 100% paint correction but that doesn't mean that don't deserve to look their best either. its finding that happy medium. I think of it more in terms of protecting the paint from getting any worse!

HateSwirls
11-06-2013, 07:03 AM
I once did an 02 Honda Civic, white.
The car hadn't been taken care of, he said he washed it only a few times at a car wash, it was so thrashed I had to wet sand the entire car then took out my rotary and 105.
It took me close to 30 hours, pretty much a day and night weekend for me.

Congrats on your first paid job, please post some pics of the truck when your done :)

Btw. I never had issues with UC drying out, maybe try working smaller areas and see what that does for you.

jankerson
11-06-2013, 07:15 AM
Always over estimate the time just in case......

That way if it doesn't take as long they will be even happier that it was done early. :xyxthumbs:

I have an 03 Black Caddie coming up soon that will be a lot of work and it will take me all of 2 days to do it (paint correction), it's a real mess....

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-06-2013, 08:06 AM
I've been using Menzurna FG400 for my one steps with great results.

What machine are you using?

Also, let customers know a proper detailing job takes time, they will understand and won't mind you spending more time on their car.

vdevan
11-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Firstly congrats on your first paying detail!

As you notch more and more cars under your belt, you will be able to refine your process and decide what products/combos etc to use to meet your clients needs.

Time management is critical, you will find many insightful posts regarding this on the forum. Best of luck!

Vegas Transplant
11-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Great news!
Good posting of your findings.

At the end of the day the customer was happy with his shiny and less swirly paint and he said he would refer me to everyone he knows.

Happy detailing... :autowash:

ROB_302
11-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks everyone for the great feedback and advice. I realize its gonna take time and several jobs to get my time and process better and faster. So now I'm just waiting for more clients! :-D
@Scott I am using a porter cable 7424xp

wdmaccord
11-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Congrats on the first paying gig! I think you are in good company as far as underestimating that first detail...and probably the first few. I don't think there is anything wrong with underestimating and overdoing the first few details as it starts your reputation out right and will probably result in referrals. I try to overestimate now by a couple hours and maybe $50 +/-. That way if it doesn't take as long, I can return the vehicle early and possibly take a few bucks off the bill too.

Pureshine
11-06-2013, 10:44 AM
I looked at your website do you not offer a 1 step paint correction if not you might want to think about it.

Calendyr
11-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Congrats on your first job.

If I had to offer any advice these would be it:

1. Ultimate Polish and compound are good products but they are very expensive compared to the Detailer's line from Meguiar's. I would add Paint Reconditioning Creme as a 1 step to your line and switch to M105/M205 for your 2 step.

2. If your product are drying too fast, try working smaller sections. If it's still drying too fast try priming your pads with spray wax or mineral oil. You can also extend work time with a small spray of water.

3. I think it's normal that it takes you longer when you start off. With time you will become more efficient. Consider the extra time as a Learning fee ;)

ROB_302
11-06-2013, 04:18 PM
I looked at your website do you not offer a 1 step paint correction if not you might want to think about it.

Your right I am going to switch some things up with my packages and pricing.

Stage 1 will be the basic wash
Stage 2 will add spray wax
Stage 3 will be a clay with a single step using an AIO wax
Stage 4 will be the multi step

I think that will work better. I might have to bump up the prices a bit too.

Again thanks everybody. :xyxthumbs: Anyone else feel free to comment on my website, packages, etc