PDA

View Full Version : Waxing in low temps?

jproy12
11-05-2013, 01:53 PM
I'm about to wax my car before winter, and with little to no-time I wasn't able to get it done in the warmer temperature this fall. I'm located in Ottawa, Canada, and this coming weekends, we are expecting high 30's and low 40's.

The product I'll be using is Wolfgang Sealant with a cure of 12hrs, and then Collonite 845 Wax on top, should I be worries if applying in these low temperatures?

I know I'll have to heat up the wax to get it in liquid form, but other than that?

I did a search, and these posts came up:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/59559-sealants-waxes-cold-temps.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/25604-what-temperature-detail.html

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/46956-what-temperature-ranges-best-applying-compounds-polishes-waxes-paint-sealants.html

Any inputs? I really want to get my wax done before winter, with our harsh Canadian winters and salt, anything to help protect the paint!

Thanks,
JP

FUNX650
11-05-2013, 02:10 PM
IMO...Those links are really explanatory.

If still in doubt:
Autogeek's ph.#...1-800-869-3011...for Wolfgang Sealant's temperature-information.

Collinite's ph.#...1-315-732-2282...for #845's temperature-information.

:)

Bob

jproy12
11-05-2013, 02:57 PM
IMO...Those links are really explanatory.

If still in doubt:
Autogeek's ph.#...1-800-869-3011...for Wolfgang Sealant's temperature-information.

Collinite's ph.#...1-315-732-2282...for #845's temperature-information.

:)

Bob
Thanks Bob,

I was however, looking to see if anyone had real world experience here on the board before giving them a call.

:xyxthumbs:

VP Mark
11-05-2013, 03:00 PM
It will cure, it will just take a lot longer than under ideal conditions. That is why I prefer something like opti seal or megs ultimate paste wax that basically cures on contact during the winter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG Online

michelliot
11-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Hey VP,

I just started using Opti-seal and I really like it, so simple, but do you think it totally cures upon evaporation. I've been waiting 12 hrs before applying a wax topcoat.

VP Mark
11-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Hey VP,

I just started using Opti-seal and I really like it, so simple, but do you think it totally cures upon evaporation. I've been waiting 12 hrs before applying a wax topcoat.

I have never had an issue with topping it immediately or putting it right in the rain. You would need contact optimum for a 100% sure answer but I have used it on hundreds of cars with dozens of varying conditions and it has always performed well regardless of cure time after evaporation.

jproy12
11-05-2013, 05:17 PM
It will cure, it will just take a lot longer than under ideal conditions. That is why I prefer something like opti seal or megs ultimate paste wax that basically cures on contact during the winter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AG OnlineThanks for the info, do you know how long? Wax shouldn't be that long, the sealant however could take longer? Right? And long is long?

Anyone else has any inputs?

Thanks,
JP

jproy12
11-06-2013, 12:16 PM
Anyone else can give me any inputs before I call the companies?

Hoytman
11-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I have never had an issue with topping it immediately or putting it right in the rain. You would need contact optimum for a 100% sure answer but I have used it on hundreds of cars with dozens of varying conditions and it has always performed well regardless of cure time after evaporation.

I have the opti-seal that's older than the current version and I haven't been real impressed with the longevity.

Unless a detailer uses a product, any product, on his personal cars then I can't see a detailer knowing how well a given product works or how long it lasts...unless said detailer does some of his/her own testing of such products. It's one thing for us to trust recommendations from other 'geeks', but it's an entirely different thing to know 100% for ones self. Just general comments to the public Mark and not directed necessarily at you.

For me as a home user of opti-seal (again the older version) it still works fine for me because I can reapply it often and as needed...or more than needed. So, in that sense it's a very nice product to use. While I haven't seen much difference, if any, how opti-seal lasts whether it's exposed to rain right away or if it's given a longer cure time I've also not seen a difference in the products longevity with additional coats.

I also realize that beading may not be an indicator of protection (which is another discussion of great debate seemingly), but it is indeed how I visually evaluate the products I use. I guess I can't help it. Most folks that I speak with (just general conversations with folks when the topic of a good wax job comes up) seemingly also use beading as in indicator of how good a product is, whether it is a correct assumption or not doesn't matter to these folks. Anyway...just some thoughts.

Mark,

I notice to often tout Meg's Ultimate Paste instead of the liquid. I'm assuming this is because it probably lasts a bit longer than the liquid?

I realize both boxes say that each product can be used in the sun. I've also noticed that only the liquid states it is 'trim' friendly and won't stain trim. I've looked and looked and not once I have seen the same stated on the paste version. What is your experience with the paste in this regard? What is the max time for the paste between coats that you recommend?

VP Mark
11-07-2013, 08:04 PM
I've never experienced trim staining with the paste wax... but with that being said I do this for a living and am very meticulous about never letting products touch trim.

As for layering, I have layered immediately, with no time between other than time of removal of the first coat and have had great results. It seems that you can significantly increase the durability with an additional layer.

As.for opti seal, lots of your issues are in using the older version
The old version didn't last much longer than optimum GPS, the latest version of opti seal I see a regular 3-6 months out of.

Also, I have never used the liquid version of megs ult. In sure it is a fine product but I've always been happy with the paste.

Hoytman
11-07-2013, 08:20 PM
I've never experienced trim staining with the paste wax... but with that being said I do this for a living and am very meticulous about never letting products touch trim.

As for layering, I have layered immediately, with no time between other than time of removal of the first coat and have had great results. It seems that you can significantly increase the durability with an additional layer.

As.for opti seal, lots of your issues are in using the older version
The old version didn't last much longer than optimum GPS, the latest version of opti seal I see a regular 3-6 months out of.

Also, I have never used the liquid version of megs ult. In sure it is a fine product but I've always been happy with the paste.

Thanks for the reply, Mark.

Yeah, I sort wondered that the latest version of opti-seal would last longer than what I have...so I just try to apply more often. Pretty simple to do actually right after a wash.

At some point in the future I think I'll pick up a can of UW Paste. You seem extremely pleased with its performance based on what I've seen from numerous posts you've made.

VP Mark
11-09-2013, 08:12 AM
I do believe it is one of the best over the counter readily available sealants money can buy. I still prefer opti-seal for ease of use but for someone looking for something high quality from Wal-Mart, it takes the cake.