PDA

View Full Version : Polish under spoilers?

zacreth
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I'm curious and attempted to search but didn't find an answer... but for cars with spoilers and when you're polishing the entire car, how do you get underneath the spoiler or do you remove the spoiler?

I don't care for my personal cars but I wouldn't want to do that for a friend's car or client's car...

Evan.J
11-05-2013, 11:11 AM
By hand

zmcgovern45
11-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I agree with Evan... I typically just do it by hand.

Here's a good article on the subject though:
Removal Of Rear Spoiler / Wings For Full Correction | Ask a Pro Blog (http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/removal-of-rear-spoiler-wings-for-full-correction/)

spinz
11-05-2013, 11:30 AM
:iagree:

I did it by hand, it just takes some time to get the job done.

statusdetailing
11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
By hand unless you are getting paid serious $

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
By hand unless you are getting paid serious $

This. I tape things off the best I can, cut the tape with a plastic razor blade and only if the customer is willing to pay the extra time to polish out the entire car do I do this type of work.

Chances are most customers will never notice this area or even notice the difference between polishing and not. This type of customer will not benefit from it being polished nor do they want to pay for it. Just make sure to cover it with your LSP.

Desertnate
11-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Chances are most customers will never notice this area or even notice the difference between polishing and not. This type of customer will not benefit from it being polished nor do they want to pay for it. Just make sure to cover it with your LSP.

I have to admit, that I do this with my car. My Mazda hatchback has a spoiler that sticks out from the roof line. I've NEVER polished underneath it. I do make sure it's really clean and then run the LSP under it by hand. There is no real way to see under it, and it never sees sunlight. The only aim I have is to keep the clear coat from failing.

zacreth
11-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Well thank you everyone for your responses. I always wondered what people did when you encountered this situation.