PDA

View Full Version : Instead of 2 coats of wax

Pages : [1] 2

stilltipping3
11-04-2013, 10:55 PM
Hi, I know lots of people apply 2 coats of wax or sealer or both. What about one super thick coat and let it sit on there a while then remove it. What are your thoughts on this?

Chris's FX4
11-04-2013, 10:57 PM
I think the idea of the second coat is that the 2nd coat will supposedly bond to the first coat. If you apply one thick coat, only a certain amount of it will still bond to the paint. The way I see it a least.

Chris@AutoCleanse
11-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Does not sound like a good idea, You will probably need a chisel to get it off.

jankerson
11-04-2013, 11:04 PM
Hi, I know lots of people apply 2 coats of wax or sealer or both. What about one super thick coat and let it sit on there a while then remove it. What are your thoughts on this?

Only so much will bond to the surface at a time, that why 2 thin coats are better. After the 1st coat bonds, usually 12 to 24 hours then apply the 2nd coat.

So a thick coat will be hard to remove and be a waste of product.

theblob640
11-04-2013, 11:25 PM
I agree with everyone here. A thick coat will just end up using more of your time trying to remove the product and waste product. Also, more effort will be trying to remove product which results in the possibility of damaging your paint from rubbing/wiping more than necessary to remove the product.

Radarryan
11-04-2013, 11:32 PM
The main idea of applying two thin coats is to ensure even coverage. Only a very small portion of the product actually bonds to the paint. Even if you apply a heavy coat, only a small amount bonds. The same if you apply a thin coat. Most say use two coats because inevitably some portion will be missed, wiped away, or fail to bond; the second coat ensures that the entire paint surface has a uniform layer.

While a thicker layer seems better, it is in fact not. All you're doing when a thick layer is put on is wasting product and probably making it more difficult to remove. If you're very careful and ensure even, thin coverage, then you can get away with one coat. While there is certainly anecdotal evidence that more layers increase the gloss or clarity of the paint, I don't think it has ever been proven. Frankly, I enjoy putting multiple coats on, so I do. Is there diminishing returns - absolutely yes. Do I detail because I enjoy it and it is not my profession - yes. Do I have to worry about the bottom line and wasting products - no. All those things will contribute to what you decide to do and how many coats you decide to put on.

In the words of the great one, "Find something you like and use it!" Happy detailing!

custmsprty
11-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Thin is in...............

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-05-2013, 01:36 AM

Agreed.

Dont waste product. When applying an LSP only so much will bond to the paint. All the extra residue that hazes up on top will not bond because its to thick to reach the paint.

A very thin uniform even coverage is all thats needed.

davidg
11-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I had a customer amazed at how little product I use. I just looked at him and told him that I would be removing the excess, why would I make more work for myself. He seemed to understand that.

Legumes
11-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Thickly applying a lsp is wasteful and will result in more work for you in possibly more than one way. It's harder to remove and you risk marring the paint by needing to rub it more during removal. I used to be guilty of over applying products. I have fond memories of taking way longer than necessary during the wax removal process. :bash:

I personally like machine application these days. It's easy to get super thin even coverage over the entire car while using very little product.

BrandonS
11-05-2013, 08:11 AM
The main idea of applying two thin coats is to ensure even coverage. Only a very small portion of the product actually bonds to the paint. Even if you apply a heavy coat, only a small amount bonds. The same if you apply a thin coat. Most say use two coats because inevitably some portion will be missed, wiped away, or fail to bond; the second coat ensures that the entire paint surface has a uniform layer.

While a thicker layer seems better, it is in fact not. All you're doing when a thick layer is put on is wasting product and probably making it more difficult to remove. If you're very careful and ensure even, thin coverage, then you can get away with one coat. While there is certainly anecdotal evidence that more layers increase the gloss or clarity of the paint, I don't think it has ever been proven. Frankly, I enjoy putting multiple coats on, so I do. Is there diminishing returns - absolutely yes. Do I detail because I enjoy it and it is not my profession - yes. Do I have to worry about the bottom line and wasting products - no. All those things will contribute to what you decide to do and how many coats you decide to put on.

In the words of the great one, "Find something you like and use it!" Happy detailing!
:iagree:

DetailedTaco
11-05-2013, 09:41 AM

+1

Klasse Act
11-05-2013, 10:24 AM
The only thing the extra thick application does is waste products, the extra never makes it down to the paint, it just sits above it and ends up on your mf and not onto the paint. The amount of extra thick could just go to the 2nd coat.

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

FUNX650
11-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Ben...

Instead of my posting, at this time, a bunch of wax-explanation-threads by folks like Mike Phillips,
Jason Rose & Michael Pennington, Renny Doyle, Dr. G (a Chemist), other AGO-forum members, etc...

Why not...(Since you won a ticket to attend the 2013 SEMA show):
Take this golden opportunity to personally ask these folks about this topic, (and any others that you have in mind),
regarding LSP's and how they bond to paint, each other, etc.; how they may, or may not, layer.........

I know I certainly would!!
You never know what information you may reap.

Have FUN at the Big Show!!

:)

Bob

willtothewong
11-05-2013, 12:35 PM

And it saves money =D