PDA

View Full Version : Help with plan of attack

Harry Da Hamster
11-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Hello folks. I bought a 2006 Honda Civic for my mother to use because i didn't feel it was very safe for her to continue driving her 1995 Accord. Before i give the car to her, i will be doing a full detail including a coating. Overall the 2006 Civic is in above average condition (though not immaculate or excellent) but there are a couple things i need to address.

First issue is the door window trim. The front door window trim (both sides) are in great condition little wear but the back door window trim (both sides) are heavily worn. The vehicle was never in an accident (verified myself while vehicle was on a lift) and i can't imagine the previous owner would replace only two pieces of trim. Plan of attack for all trim was to clean with an APC multiple times and coat with Ultima Tire and Trim Guard Plus. Would this be sufficient at reviving the worn trim in question? Or should i do an additional step like Forever Black or Black Wow in between the cleaning and coating step and let it sit for a couple days before coating?

Second issue is the annoying red clay dirt that's common here in Hawaii. It stains cracks, crevices, and around emblems and its hard to remove. APC and a boars hair brush wont do anything. How would you recommend removing this?

Thanks Autogeek

:)

jankerson
11-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I would try regular old Armor All before anything else on the trim.

Might not need to get fancy. :D

Try Tarminator on the clay issue...

Pureshine
11-04-2013, 05:12 PM
For the orange dirt you can try good off just don't let it dry. Use black wow only on really bad old trim.

allenk4
11-04-2013, 05:21 PM
Not sure what year the body style changed on that vehicle, but if you can't restore the trim and it still bothers you....hit the Junkyard.

I have had success in the past saving a lot of $ this way.

You can call most of them with the make, model and year; they can tell you if they have one in the yard.

Those trim pieces usually pop off pretty easily without tools.

hernandez.art13
11-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I have never really restored trim so take it with a grain if salt.

After cleaning it up, like was suggested above ^

Would Tuf Shine work? And isn't advertised as long lasting? And once it is on could you not use a product like Dlux to give it that gloss?

tnecniv
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Be careful with that year Civic also. A common problem with that year/model is a cracked engine block. Tons of people end up with one all in the same spot. I'm not sure what the warranty does now but 2 years ago when it happened to my brother they replaced it with the same type of engine.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-04-2013, 06:15 PM
You could try gtechniq trim restore.