PDA

View Full Version : How to handle curved fenders

EugeneGoldberg
11-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Greetings,
Some cars, Jeep for example, have those large curved fenders above the wheels. How should those be handled when doing paint correction?

-Eugene

wdmaccord
11-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Assuming you are talking by machine? Then use a 4" spot buff pad on 3" backing plate. Using the 3" backing plate will give you plenty of room for the pad to flex on the edges. If it still makes you nervous, try slower machine speed, slower arm speed, and more section passes.

drvnbysound
11-04-2013, 04:53 PM
Can anyone comment about using a 4" pad on a DA (specifically the 7424XP)? Any issues? Easy/difficult to use?

hernandez.art13
11-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I find it very easy to use.

The PC in general is an easy tool to use. 22666

drvnbysound
11-04-2013, 05:24 PM
I find it very easy to use.

The PC in general is an easy tool to use. 22666

Good deal. I bought a 7424XP about 2-3 wks ago, but have only used it once so far. Funds are a bit tight right now, but I had to take advantage of a sale that was going on at the time... trying to grow my detailing collection. I need to invest in a number of pads before I want to attempt doing any correction; not wanting to bother trying with the (1) orange and (1) gray pad that I have now.

That said, I also figured that I need [want] something smaller than the 5.5" pads as I've got some fairly small areas that I'd prefer to work by machine rather than by hand.... hence the reason I asked about ease of use. Good to know it shouldn't be too difficult.

ShaunD
11-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Just don't reduce pressure too much if using 4" pads on a DA or the pad will probably fly off or at the least thing will get a little unstable.
For curved panels on a DA you need to ensure the pad is completely primed, even onto the outer edge and maintain contact at the center to maintain rotation. Like normal you need to lighten up on the last couple passes but really don't let the polish work all the way through to avoid DA haze and or dry buffing. On some paints I have had better luck with a rotary on the curves. Takes practice like anything else.

HateSwirls
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
As said very easy to use, great for tight areas, curved areas,etc.
I once had my larger plate on my PC using 6.5 inch pads but found it to bog down too much so I bought the GG6 and converted my PC to the four inch pads.
I couldn't be happier. :dblthumb2:
Really comes in handy when working on bumpers.

Can anyone comment about using a 4" pad on a DA (specifically the 7424XP)? Any issues? Easy/difficult to use?

EugeneGoldberg
11-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks all for the great info!
I do have PC, Flex, 3" backing plate and 4 " LC pads, so I should be all set to try it out.
I just was not sure if going over the curved lines was the way to do it, but, it sounds like using DA with the small bp/pad should do the trick.

Best regards,

-Eugene