PDA

View Full Version : What Clay to use and when?

popcornplayer28
11-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me when certain clay needs to be used?

Ultra Fine, Medium and Aggressive. When should an Aggressive clay be used and so on.

Many Thanks
Jay

silverfox
11-04-2013, 10:15 AM
Well the easy answer is to say that it depends on the condition of the paint. If a car is several years old and has never been clayed, a finer clay may not be suitable...whereas it would be on a car that is clayed once or twice a year.

I think for most cases a finer clay will do the trick if you also decontaminate with Iron-x (or equivalent) before claying, but like polishing pads, it won't hurt to have a medium or coarse on hand.

Pureshine
11-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Save your self time and get the Nanoskin fine Mitt you won't be sorry.

dsg03gt
11-04-2013, 04:25 PM
Save your self time and get the Nanoskin fine Mitt you won't be sorry.

Would this still work on a severely neglected car?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-04-2013, 06:22 PM
There are three grades of auto detailing clay which all preform differently. The most common is a mild grade detailing clay, which will remove most contamination from a vehicle. This mild clay is recommended to only be used once or twice a year and is suggested to be followed by machine or hand polishing before the surface is waxed or sealed. If the mild clay is unable to remove the bonded contaminates there is a more aggressive clay that contains stronger abrasives to remove the most stubborn contaminates. Finally, there is a finer grade clay, which is gentle enough to use monthly or for spot cleaning and maintenance washes.

Auto Detailing Clay Guide & Tips | Incredibly Detailed (http://www.incrediblydetailed.com/auto-detailing-clay-guide-and-tips/)

I suggest a speedy prep towel if you are going to be doing more than a couple vehicles a year. ONR is a great clay lube.

Pureshine
11-04-2013, 07:57 PM
Would this still work on a severely neglected car?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yes it does but I still check after doing a 2x2 section to see if it clean.