PDA

View Full Version : Rupes,flex,Milwaukee?

rousher99
11-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Hello everyone. I have done a lot of reading on these subjects and I am still slightly confused. I'm looking to add some new tools to my detailing arsenal so I can complete my work a little faster and offer higher quality work again. Right now i own a Meguiars G110. I had a dewalt rotery, but it was stolen along with a couple grand worth of pneumatic tools. I liked the dewalt but it always felt too bulky, mostly because if the big handle. I have used Milwaukee rotery's before and loved them. But now I'm seeing this rupes Bigfoot deal. A tad pricy but being a da with a larger throw, I could get slightly quicker detail times. So, is the rupes the way to go for excellent paint reconditioning? Or should I stick with a rotery?

jankerson
11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Don't know about anyone else, I am going with the FLEX L3403 VRG when I get another rotary because it's light weight.

I used the heavy ones, Dewalt, Milwaukee and Makita and I just don't want another heavy rotary...

Don't know about the Rupes so I can't comment.

rousher99
11-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

HateSwirls
11-05-2013, 06:08 PM
For thirty years I used heavy rotaries but now I just can't handle the weight of them , if I had to buy a new rotary I'd go with the Flex, it's light, compact and I've read nothing but great reviews.

Old Tiger
11-05-2013, 06:30 PM
You can do more faster with a roary than a DA. My favorite is my FesTool, weighing in at 4.2 pounds. The FLEX 3403 has heat issues. Their new rotary would be better from what I read. Jeweling with a rotary leaves a finish like nothing else IME.

stilltipping3
11-05-2013, 06:43 PM
Mike says if you can use a rotary and have one then you just need a PC along with it. If not he likes the Rupes and then the Flex. I still like the Flex because you can put pressure on it but if you go with the Rupes then it will do the work for you but may get stopped on any curves.

HateSwirls
11-05-2013, 07:15 PM
Sometimes I use my rotary to cut and my GG6 to polish.
The rotary along with 105 and a hex pads really cuts fast.
These days I prefer to just use my DA unless the paint is really jacked up.
Age has caught up to me. Lol
Yep!

stilltipping3
11-05-2013, 07:57 PM
I don't know how to Rotary, so I don't even look in that direction. HMMM, maybe I should learn. NAaah, why take the risk?

HateSwirls
11-05-2013, 08:04 PM
It's not worth the risk is your current machine is working for you.
It took me a long time to master it, I don't think I'd try to learn how to use a rotary these days with the good machines offered us today.
It does have its place in the detailing industry, I always use my rotary after wet sanding.

I don't know how to Rotary, so I don't even look in that direction. HMMM, maybe I should learn. NAaah, why take the risk?

rousher99
11-06-2013, 05:22 PM
my big issue is the time it takes to compound one panel with a da, I could have at least two panels done with a rotery.. By the time I get the one done with the da.. I use all menzerna compounds and I don't know if I'm doing something wrong with the da but it takes forever taking swirls out. I think I will get a flex though.. Seems like the better option for me.