PDA

View Full Version : Tried more products, now need suggestions

Pages : [1] 2

scooterguitar
06-02-2006, 09:38 PM
Really into this!
Tried my fist wash tonight. Used my PB wash, GREAT stuff! Also, thanks to all of you, the two bucket method worked well and made perfect sense afterwards.
The PB wheel cleaner seemed to do it's job. Should I try a regualr car wax since I don;t have wheel wax for the wheels?
I certainly need a waffle weave or what do you suggest for drying? One be enough? I used my cheap mf's tonight.
USed Crytal Mist as well, worked well, but...I think I need to use it more as a detailer in between washing, as I will be lucky to wash my car once a week, it looked good but I want more "pop" from a follow-up to washing. I am thinking a nice liquid or similar wipe on/off product that be quicker than a hard carnuba.
So, my questions again (since I ramble!):
Carnuba be ok for wheels?
Which waffle weave or what for drying, and how many?
Good after wash polish or wax to really make it glow, has to be quick.
Thanks for everything, you guys rock!
:applause:

abrcrombe
06-02-2006, 09:45 PM
Well, for the wheels, I used regular car wax on there, and it seems to be fine. I may be wrong, so we should wait for others to chime in, but it worked fine for me.
For drying, if you want to use the Microfiber towels, go with a Guzzler.

http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-waffle-weave.html

I just ordered that the other day, and it says it should be enough to get the WHOLE car. So I'm just going to use smaller towels for the small crevices and clean up work.

As for the quick wax... Sorry can't help :(

Welcome to the club and have fun!

Surfer
06-02-2006, 09:49 PM
I'm not sure if a regular Carnauba would hold up to the spinning wheels and heat generated along with crap from the brakes and stuff getting attached. I'd use AIO if you have any or some good sealent if you have any. I know guys who use EX-P with no probs. For quick waxing once a week (not quick detailing) I use Poorboy's QW+ and absolutley love it :awesome:

ScottB
06-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Use a sealant on the wheels, not a wax as will break down quickly with heat. Use a little more Crystal Mist to add "pop", your not going to come to close without moving to an additional coat of wax otherwise. And a Guzzler is a must have.

scooterguitar
06-02-2006, 10:37 PM
I know I'll add a wheel wax to my next order, just so I can quit asking that same question, rephrased of course!
Understood, Guzzler it is!
It's just not happening with the Crystal Mist for me at this point. Seems to get where I'd liek to be, it would be very expensive. Maybe I''
It doesn't have to be a spray. I was thinking one of the quick liquids you pour onto a cloth, etc. I'll do a little research and chimr in with ?'s on specifics.

DS Detailer
06-02-2006, 10:46 PM
CM is mostly a qd after a carnuaba. Try Liquid Souraven. I'll send you some of that too.

Surfer
06-02-2006, 10:48 PM
If your looking to pick up something cheap might want to check out some Duragloss stuff at the store. Seem's even the pro-detailers on a couple other boards love their products. I might pick up some Duragloss Aqua Wax to try. Really underrated stuff. I have some Collinite from our waverunners/boats, looks like guys are topping Collinite with AW for the durability and looks.

joe.p
06-02-2006, 10:51 PM
I know I'll add a wheel wax to my next order, just so I can quit asking that same question, rephrased of course!
Understood, Guzzler it is!
It's just not happening with the Crystal Mist for me at this point. Seems to get where I'd liek to be, it would be very expensive. Maybe I''
It doesn't have to be a spray. I was thinking one of the quick liquids you pour onto a cloth, etc. I'll do a little research and chimr in with ?'s on specifics.
Save your $$ on the wheelwax you can use a sealant like EX-P ,it will be as good if not better.

deffinately get the Cobra WW you won't regret it.This towel is
extremely soft with plenty of absorbing power. Go with the slightly bigger towels and up though.

I bought the CK QD and i love this stuff. It restored the slickness
on my paint with plenty of pop especialy after using a good wax
or sealant. plus it is versatile you can use it on just about everything.
Also i applied QD in the sun on a hot panel with no streaking at all.

BTW,if you like to sell your crystal mist i would be happy to assist :D

one more thing. Good prep work is the key to a great finish. don't skimp
or you will not get the results your looking for no matter what products
you have..Always wash, clay ,Polish, and then you can use a sealant or wax .Use QD's
to help maintain your finish. Then you have to have good washing habits so as not to
over polish. Good Luck and have a blast..

scooterguitar
06-02-2006, 11:05 PM
I've been hearing baout the Aqua Wax, who make sit, where can it be found locally?
Joe, what is CK, ahh Clear Koat? I'll add it to my next order.
I have some PB QW+ coming, that might just nail it fo rme in what I'm asking for.

Surfer
06-02-2006, 11:13 PM
I've been hearing baout the Aqua Wax, who make sit, where can it be found locally?
Joe, what is CK, ahh Clear Koat? I'll add it to my next order.
I have some PB QW+ coming, that might just nail it fo rme in what I'm asking for.I think Napa and Carquest carry the Duragloss line (otherwise looks like you have to order direct from them). But seems everyone's really impressed by their products from the sprays to car shampoo.

You'll love PB's QW+. What I did was on each layer of EX-P I lightly sprayed Optimum Car Wax and buffed off. The on each layer of Natty's Blue I lightly sprayed PB QW+ and buffed off. But I really like QW+ after a wash.

Neothin
06-03-2006, 12:45 AM
I don't use waffle weave towels anymore. I have a 6.5 horsepower rigid wet/dry vac that also serves as a 265 mph blower. With your paint beind waxed, the water just flys off. Plus, the blower lets you get all the water out of the cracks, mirrors, etc etc.
Maybe try out optimum car wax? It's a spray wax that is great when used as a booster product for carnaubas. Yes it's a spray, but it does have a good carnauba percentage.

joe.p
06-03-2006, 08:49 AM
I think Napa and Carquest carry the Duragloss line (otherwise looks like you have to order direct from them). But seems everyone's really impressed by their products from the sprays to car shampoo.[QOUTE]
+ ONE
You'll love PB's QW+. What I did was on each layer of EX-P I lightly sprayed Optimum Car Wax and buffed off. The on each layer of Natty's Blue I lightly sprayed PB QW+ and buffed off. But I really like QW+ after a wash.
QW+ has some cleaners in it, you may want to check to see if there is
enough cleaners in it that could remove your LSP..

ScottB
06-03-2006, 09:01 AM
1. Reconsider the Wheel Wax .... I have tried all three, and you will get the best protection from DP Wheel Glaze. I also like to use Klasse AIO on wheels and it holds up well.

2. If you want more gloss from a spray and are using it prior to using a carnuaba wax, then consider Fk425, Quikshine, or Poorboys Spray and Gloss. They are light on the wallet and amp up gloss on most any finish.

blkyukon
06-03-2006, 10:01 AM
If you are looking for a wheel wax/sealant I'd recommend Poorboys Wheel Sealant. I've been using it since Nov. and it's keep my uncoated aluminum wheels oxidize free.

Here are my wheels as of yesterday...I've done nothing but light polishing every few months to remove marring since Nov.

http://melncal.com/detailing/pictures/wheel.jpg

Here is a review I did a few months back:

Application:
Easy to apply: wipe on - let it haze - buff off
3 Coats applied consecutively about a month and a half ago to my polished uncoated Boss 301's.
About 2 weeks after I applied the coats it rained here for about 2 -3 weeks and I hadn't washed my truck until now.

Protection, clean up, appearance -
Sorry forgot to take any before pics but I've been driving in the rain for the last 3 wks so they were covered with 3 weeks of dirt, road grime, brake dust.
Washed with car soap - Cleaned up very easy with just the soap.
After washing I sprayed some Spray and Wipe and did a quick wipe down with a MF. I only noticed a few small spots of discoloration everything else was still very shiny and no oxidization present.
Minimal if any loss of slickness - very close to the slickness of when it was applied.
Conclusion:
Very easy to use and over a month of protection was more then I expected. It has proven itself in the cold and rain so I'll be interested to see how it holds up to the heat in the summer months.
IMO This is a great product for anyone who has polished uncoated wheels to help protect them and keep them looking their best.
I'll update this in the summer months and see how it holds up to the heat.

Here are some shots...
Close up after cleaning:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/tires/1-06/Yukon-1-06_04.jpg
Whole wheel:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/tires/1-06/Yukon-1-06_05.jpg

Full shot:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/blkyukon/tires/1-06/Yukon-1-06_02.jpg

2 Month update
It's been 2 months with just the initial 3 coats of Wheel Sealant and after cleaning them today I noticed some slight oxidization, spots and marring.
It's hard to get a shot of the oxidization because it's very slight but here is a before and after showing the marring and oxidization:
before:
http://www.melncal.com/detailing/pictures/wheels_before.jpg

After applying Clearkote Metal polish by hand with a MF foam applicator:

http://www.melncal.com/detailing/pictures/wheels_after.jpg

2 months of protection in the winter rain and dirt, doing nothing more then washing them, is more then I could hope for...IMO it's a great sealant for cleared or uncoated wheels.

abrcrombe
06-03-2006, 11:39 AM
Those wheels look really nice and are in good condition!