PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a 2014 Accord EX L

HardLineDetail
11-04-2013, 01:26 AM
I just got me a new 2014 Accord EX-L with Modern Steel Metallic. I paid basically $1000 for the 5 year coat which basically i can do myself for about $150. But i got it basically because if i get any defects on my paint like water drops, acid rain, oxidation, etc and interior as well for wear and tear..they will fix it.

Anyways, should i polish the car and jewel it to take out the most shine i can from it? I want that condition to be sealed when they put the top coat. Or will the new coat make the car look more shiny or will the dealer detail the car first prior to applying the coat?

Radarryan
11-04-2013, 02:41 AM
I know what you mean as I went though the same thought process when I was having my clear bra installed. I would say it depends on your dealer. Since the protective coating is just like the clear bra, I would hope that the dealer's installer would perfect the paint before sealing it. Luckily, at the high-end dealerships they have good detailers on staff because that is the type of thing that their customers demand. I have to say, when I took delivery of my car, the paint was polished out nicely and there were very few swirls in the paint.

All that being said, the detailer at the Honda dealer may not be as experienced or, more likely, be paid enough to "care" about your car as much as you do. Usually, you're going to do a better job than he is. Also, you need to see if you would even be able to polish the car before the coating goes on, or if they stipulate that everything must be done by them otherwise the warranty is void.

Either way, good luck and happy detailing!

HardLineDetail
11-04-2013, 11:12 PM
Well, its the best honda dealer in america supposely. It's Norm Reeves dealer. I should just do it myself and then take it.

michelliot
11-05-2013, 04:02 PM
I had that done when I bought my '08 accord and it didn't take that long before my first bird dropping etched its way into the paint. You still have to maintain it. You can't let it go without waxing or sealing. Yeah, I had the etching and water marks removed about a year later without cost to me financially but the topcoat on the hood, roof and trunk gets that much thinner every time it has to be done. You still have to maintain those areas on a regular basis.

pikiki
11-05-2013, 04:26 PM
I`ll suggest you talk to the dealerships about the warranty first them make your call

Romans5.8
11-05-2013, 04:29 PM
+1 on checking on the warranty. Some will void the warranty if you polish or use other products. In fact, some say you can't even WAX the car.