PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Type of Polish for a Black car

Pages : [1] 2 3

Irishwoodchuck
11-03-2013, 09:54 PM
What is your favorite type of polish for a black car?
Have you tried black hole?
Have you tried blackout?

Which really gets that deep midnight black look?
Ben

lekejian
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Too many new products fresh my memory, but 85RD is always my favorite

hernandez.art13
11-03-2013, 10:00 PM
Subscribed

Radarryan
11-03-2013, 10:40 PM
I feel like I can comment on this since my car has the "dreaded" Porsche black paint. Unequivocally, the best that I have ever used is Menzerna SF4500 (PO85RD). When you think you have gloss, just use this and you will see that you were sorely mistaken.

Now, there are some "new kids" on the block that have been challenging Menzerna for the throne. If a one step is what you're looking to do, I have heard that it is tough to beat SONAX Perfect Finish 4/6. Even those that would normally gravitate toward Menzerna PF2500 (PO 203) have said that the SONAX may be the best of the bunch. If you're needing to compound and then finish, SONAX also offers a more traditional two-step approach. I've also read that the SONAX Nano 3/6 is also a good burnishing/jeweling product, much like SF4500.

I have only done a two-step once on my black and it was all Menzerna: first FG400 and then SF4500 followed up. With any of these polishes I really don't think you could go wrong.

Happy detailing!

Romans5.8
11-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Subscribed! Ordered a tuxedo black Ford. Really looking forward to seeing what polishes folks come up with. In the case of mine, it's gonna be interesting since it's a metallic. But it's VERY metallic, lots of colorful metalflake! I once heard a review say Ford's Tuxedo black was one step away from a color you'd use on a bass boat!

Jmarra
11-03-2013, 11:01 PM
Subscribed

Pureshine
11-03-2013, 11:48 PM
+3 on Menz (PO85RD)

Hazcat
11-03-2013, 11:51 PM
I feel like I can comment on this since my car has the "dreaded" Porsche black paint. Unequivocally, the best that I have ever used is Menzerna SF4500 (PO85RD). When you think you have gloss, just use this and you will see that you were sorely mistaken.

Now, there are some "new kids" on the block that have been challenging Menzerna for the throne. If a one step is what you're looking to do, I have heard that it is tough to beat SONAX Perfect Finish 4/6. Even those that would normally gravitate toward Menzerna PF2500 (PO 203) have said that the SONAX may be the best of the bunch. If you're needing to compound and then finish, SONAX also offers a more traditional two-step approach. I've also read that the SONAX Nano 3/6 is also a good burnishing/jeweling product, much like SF4500.

I have only done a two-step once on my black and it was all Menzerna: first FG400 and then SF4500 followed up. With any of these polishes I really don't think you could go wrong.

Happy detailing!

This is pretty much what I did. FG400 followed up with SF4000. I had to use 600 gsm2 MF towels. The clear coat was extremely soft and scratched with anything less. Even the Supreme 530 gray scratched it. It was ridiculously soft.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
11-04-2013, 12:06 AM
When you think you have gloss, just use this and you will see that you were sorely mistaken!

Agreed. Another vote for SF4500!!!

OP, if your going to try out the SF4500, pick up FG400 to go along with it. This way you have an incredible compound and polish duo.

The Critic
11-04-2013, 12:07 AM
HD Polish seems to work very well on a variety of dark colors.

Kaban
11-04-2013, 12:09 AM
I have used these plenty of times and they are all amazing for a light one step or as a second step after compounding.

85RD
106FA
Optimum Hyper Polish
SONAX Perfect Finish
M205
Carpro REFLECT

Some get more preference to others based on the paint I am working on and or how well the compount finished down on the paint. Some paints are so soft, sensitive, or just plain nasty, that it will really come down to technique and not the product itself. Gotta try out different approaches and vary things like buffer speed, arm speed, pressure, amount of product used, number of passes, so on and so forth.

RhetoricMixes
11-04-2013, 12:26 AM
For pure gloss I have found nothing better than sf4500. My other favorite would be Optimum Hyper Polish.

jpegs13
11-04-2013, 12:37 AM
+5 on Menz PO85rd or SF4500 as it's known now

Romans5.8
11-04-2013, 12:42 AM
+5 on Menz PO85rd or SF4500 as it's known now

Oh, what, since you drive a Lambo you think you're worth a +5 instead of a +1?

Hehe, just kidding!:buffing:

I'm gonna have to try this stuff. Hopefully the OP won't mind if I ask in his thread but; do you think the SF4500 is still the best choice for a metallic (in this case, Ford Tuxedo Black)? Will it subdue the metal flake or help it pop? Is there a better choice?

Just curious! Most black cars are solid black or 'barely' metallic. This Ford color, someone took the cap off the glitter bottle!

Irishwoodchuck
11-04-2013, 07:38 AM
So if I went with po85rd would it be okay to seal it using dp poli seal as I already have it? The poli seal is very good what types of towels did you need?