PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for factory-treated leather?

creaky
11-03-2013, 03:59 PM
I recently read that the leather in my '07 Porsche is not aniline dyed but rather that the color is applied to the surface and then treated with some kind of protective coating. For this reason, I'm told, leather conditioners, like Lexol, don't penetrate.

So, please correct me if I'm wrong and let me know what I can use to condition/protect the kind of leather I have.

Thanks.

davidg
11-03-2013, 04:02 PM
I believe the new black label is good for covered leather. Give AG a call tomorrow and make sure though. It probably hasn't made it into many peoples hands yet to tell you on that one.

Bigbull2984
11-03-2013, 04:09 PM
The new Black Label line would work perfect.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/product-reviews/72564-review-pinnacle-black-label-850-interior-trio.html

Old Tiger
11-03-2013, 05:24 PM
I would use a protectant like CarPro PERL or Optimum Protectant Plus. You could use the Pinnacle BM Coating for Vinyl and coated leather. You don't want the BM Soft Leather products for coated leather.

Scott@IncrediblyDetailed
11-03-2013, 05:33 PM
I use gliptone on my M3 which has clearcoated leather like your talking about.

Returns them to factory, no shine, matte.

ski2
11-03-2013, 05:55 PM
It's my understanding that coated leather should never be treated with anything with mink oil, lanolin, etc as these will not penetrate through the coating and will just attract dust. However, the leather still needs to be hydrated from time to time (frequency depends on climate).

The coated black leather in my VW is 7 years old and looks and feels like the day I picked it up at the dealer.

Each time I clean the interior I wipe the leather with a damp towel and then just let it air dry. 2 or 3 of times a year I clean the leather with a mild APC, spray with a fine mist of distilled water and let it air dry then apply Optimum Protectant Plus (aka Leather Protectant)--no oils, but conditions and protects against UV etc.

Really easy to use also since you can apply it to the vinly so you can use one product for the entire interior.

Optimum Protectant Plus offers complete protection for interior leather, vinyl, plastic & rubber dressing. vinyl and rubber dressing, vinyl (http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-protectant-plus.html)

creaky
11-04-2013, 07:54 AM
Thank you for the replies, everyone. I'm going to give Optimum Protectant Plus a try and see how it goes.