PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Andy6228
06-22-2007, 05:00 PM
It's been years since I've done any real detailing. Since I found this site, I've been learning and getting interested in detailing again. Now I have questions to get started.

1. I usually use a synthetic chamois to dry my truck. I see suggetions of using the waffle weave microfiber. Is it really better and if so why?

2. After washing I know the suggestion is to clay. Does the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion do the same thing or is more of a polish?

3. I'm planning on buying the PC, what assortment of pads should I get to get started?

4. What microfiber towels are needed. Is there much difference between the towels in the bulk deal in this site or the Cobras?

5. I have two vehicles to work on a 2002 Dodge Ram black (the paint is about what you would expect - light swirls and hazing mostly) and a 2008 Ford Escape ice blue. I am looking for suggestions on prepping the paint on the truck and then sealant and wax for both. I know that the colors are so different that some combinations may work better on one than another. Of course a combination that would work on both would be preferred.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ScottB
06-22-2007, 06:20 PM
1. I usually use a synthetic chamois to dry my truck. I see suggetions of using the waffle weave microfiber. Is it really better and if so why?

the Guzzler doesnt streak and holds and incredible amount of water. The nap also leaves enough give for dirt or sand to move up and away from paint. With a chamois its getting grinded into paint.

2. After washing I know the suggestion is to clay. Does the Pinnacle Paint Cleansing Lotion do the same thing or is more of a polish?

Clay is designed to pull up and away from paint as possible. Paint cleaners are chemical cleaners and are rubbed against the pad in grinding motion. Polishes abrade the surface. Thus wash, clay, polish, and protect is correct.

3. I'm planning on buying the PC, what assortment of pads should I get to get started?

Decide in advance if you want LC pads or Edge pads. The adapters are different and thus smarter to pick one and add to it with additional pads as needed. LC = Flexible Backing Plate , Edge= Locking Adapter

4. What microfiber towels are needed. Is there much difference between the towels in the bulk deal in this site or the Cobras?

If you want towels that are made to specification then go to the Cobras. I would highly suggest the Indigos (polish removal) and purple jr's (quick detailing) and the new white ones /red borders are nice for both as dual sided. AT 2.50 in bulk your not going to find a better deal

5. I have two vehicles to work on a 2002 Dodge Ram black (the paint is about what you would expect - light swirls and hazing mostly) and a 2008 Ford Escape ice blue. I am looking for suggestions on prepping the paint on the truck and then sealant and wax for both. I know that the colors are so different that some combinations may work better on one than another. Of course a combination that would work on both would be preferred.

If you want a group of products that will work well on both, look to the Poorboys Kit. Everything but the wash, and easy to use. If you want the best of the best for each ... Souveran Paste = Black , Pinnacle SSII = metallics and add a sealant like Four Star UPP for longer protection

D
06-22-2007, 06:54 PM
I agree with everything killr said. I took A LOT of advice from him when I was starting out.

Gnarboots11
06-22-2007, 07:11 PM
You think the Four Star Upp is a better sealant than Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant?

sparkie
06-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Welcome to AGOL

Andy6228
06-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. Is the UPP better on black than the Wolfgang or Poorboys EX-P?