PDA

View Full Version : Question on Washing PPF and Rest of Car

topKek
11-03-2013, 12:24 PM
Hey all, new member but I've been lurking here for a while since deciding to buy a new car (my last car was used, and free, so I didn't put much effort into paint care but since I am investing a lot in a new car I want to protect that investment as best I can, but I'm not exactly going for show car quality as this car will most likely see some track days/autocross as well as the awful roads that exist in Atlanta).

I will most likely get PPF on full hood, bumper, mirrors, etc and have searched for the best ways to clean/protect the PPF, but I am a little confused on if washing one half of the car one way and the other half another way will cause any negative/noticeable effects.

Do I use products like PF1 that are meant for PPF after the wash (foam gun or rinse-less) on the PPF and then use a kit like the forum favorite kit (http://www.autogeek.net/forfavkit.html) on the rest of the car? Or do I use the kit everywhere like normal then apply any PPF specific products on the PPF?

There is a thread (and in the Wax vs Sealant post in the Store) that says wax then sealant is a good choice but would using 2 types of sealant (and I guess the same wax on top of the sealants) cause any visual difference? Are 2 different sealants even necessary?

I also have a lot of other questions as I didn't think just exterior/interior care would be so overwhelming, but that is for other time.

Thanks!

af90
11-03-2013, 05:20 PM
I don't wash my PPF any differently, the big things to make sure of is when claying and polishing that you tape off edges. And when waxing make sure you avoid edges so wax doesn't get stuck in the crease.

topKek
11-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I don't wash my PPF any differently, the big things to make sure of is when claying and polishing that you tape off edges. And when waxing make sure you avoid edges so wax doesn't get stuck in the crease.

Alright thanks. I'll just follow the advice here on normal detailing.

While I was doing more research on PPF I found out about Opti-Coat. Does Opti-Coat do more than other sealants or is its selling point that it lasts years? As in, is it necessary to get done at a detailer or would doing my own paint sealing (with something like Klasse or Wolfgang) be fine?

The reason I ask is because Detailed Designs Auto Spa (any review on them would be helpful too) is one of 3 Opti-Coat dealers on the Opti-Coat website and they also do tint/clearbra so it would be convenient to get the new car all protected (Mr. Bryan Burnworth, who seems to be well liked here, is one too but he doesn't do clearbra/tint from what I can tell from his site).

Thanks for the help.

af90
11-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Alright thanks. I'll just follow the advice here on normal detailing.

While I was doing more research on PPF I found out about Opti-Coat. Does Opti-Coat do more than other sealants or is its selling point that it lasts years? As in, is it necessary to get done at a detailer or would doing my own paint sealing (with something like Klasse or Wolfgang) be fine?

The reason I ask is because Detailed Designs Auto Spa (any review on them would be helpful too) is one of 3 Opti-Coat dealers on the Opti-Coat website and they also do tint/clearbra so it would be convenient to get the new car all protected (Mr. Bryan Burnworth, who seems to be well liked here, is one too but he doesn't do clearbra/tint from what I can tell from his site).

Thanks for the help.

Opti-Coat is for the most part tougher, more scratch-resistant, and the fact that's it does last for years and for all intents and purposes is permanent, are it's biggest selling points. It's a fantastic product that will make maintaining your car very easy. But you could just as easily apply your own sealants as necessary or even apply opti-coat yourself. It's not too difficult you just have to take your time and apply thinly knocking down any high spots pretty rapidly.