PDA

View Full Version : Colored wax(s) or ??? for tinting?

Crist Clapper
11-02-2013, 08:53 AM
I'm restoring a Jeep and had the trim re-done with a water-transfer woodgrain and satin sealer. I’d like to darken the trim a bit to better match the larger sheets of woodgrain.
I’ve read various forums and found products such as Dodo-Juice.
Asking for opinions and suggestions?
Thanks.

http://i1174.photobucket.com/albums/r620/TheClassicCove/IMG_4162_zps21668c59.jpg

mwoolfso
11-02-2013, 07:46 PM
It's possible.

DODO JUICE FORUMS • View topic - Colour Charging 2... no hype, no BS, just the TEST RESULTS (http://forum.dodojuice.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2011)

swanicyouth
11-02-2013, 07:51 PM
My experience with the Dodo Juice stuff is it will tint your paint the color of the wax after many coats. It actually made my black look purple. Honestly, my thought would be to try CarPro DLux. But that wood piece on the door bottom is way off. I don't think any detailing products would lead to a match

spiralout462
11-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Maybe Minwax Semi-transparent, Golden Oak?

inDetail
11-02-2013, 08:39 PM
You won't be able to do much with the wood once it's sealed. The only thing I can think of is bowler's wax. Minwax makes a wax/polish for wood. It's a lot like car wax they make one for dark and light colored woods. It's meant to be used on unsealed woods.
Color specific waxes are more gimmick then anything else. The "color specific" does not bring much to the table. If it's a good wax and looks great on a car I don't care what color it is or what color it was meant for.

Crist Clapper
11-03-2013, 08:34 AM
I did a quick search and didn't find where CarPro DLux had colors? Also... The trim is suppose to be a contrast... I'm just trying to tone-it-down a bit to blend with the other woodgrain.

My experience with the Dodo Juice stuff is it will tint your paint the color of the wax after many coats. It actually made my black look purple. Honestly, my thought would be to try CarPro DLux. But that wood piece on the door bottom is way off. I don't think any detailing products would lead to a match

Crist Clapper
11-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Did a bit more searching/research and tend to agree with the wood-wax thing. Ordered Staples Dark Brown Wax with Carnauba... Seems worth a try.

But... Keep the ideas coming!

You won't be able to do much with the wood once it's sealed. The only thing I can think of is bowler's wax. Minwax makes a wax/polish for wood. It's a lot like car wax they make one for dark and light colored woods. It's meant to be used on unsealed woods.
Color specific waxes are more gimmick then anything else. The "color specific" does not bring much to the table. If it's a good wax and looks great on a car I don't care what color it is or what color it was meant for.