PDA

View Full Version : Actual protective capabilities of WOWA and Touchless Polymer Sealants

Harry Da Hamster
11-02-2013, 04:01 AM
I'm a bit late to WOWA (Ultima Paint Guard+) and Touchless (Carpro Hydr02) products but recently bought both. So far i've tried UPGP and UTTGP and i've very impressed with it's application. Hydr02 is even easier to apply so i can't imagine being disappointed with its application.

Maybe i'm old school. It's so easy to apply and when applying it seems like i'm applying literally nothing to the surface. My question is, how do these WOWA and Touchless sealants compare to traditional waxes and sealants such as BFWD, Pinnacle Souveran liquid and paste, Menzerna Power Lock, Collinite, etc in terms of actual paint protection? I'm not talking about beading. Quite frankly i think some comparisons ive seen that really only compare beading are pretty silly. I'm talking protection against salt, acid rain, mineral deposits, chemicals, detergents, iron deposits, etc.

Misael7
11-02-2013, 04:30 AM
Subscribed, been wondering about those type of sealants as well.

ZeroSP
11-02-2013, 05:40 AM
They are all good... Like me I am using Opti-Seal which is a WOWA sealant, then top it with Opt Car Wax for clients who wanted only a basic package. It is good for 3 months combined in our tropical weather.

Opti-Seal alone on windscreen is about 4 months. Again, tropical weather condition here.

FUNX650
11-02-2013, 09:59 AM
I've become so used to LSP's that are:
-Applied
-Allowed to "haze"
-Then removal of haze
-And, then: "Final Wiped"(M.P.)/Buffed

The fact that "haze" must be removed means, to me, that it plays no active role in whatever protection,
beading, etc. that the "parts that remain" of these LSP's-formulations may provide.

Perhaps the ingredients/chemicals that cause these LSP products "to haze" have been successfully circumvented in the formulation of WOWA LSP's;
and that the protection, beading, etc. would be as similar to, or perhaps in some cases: even better (due to less "touching") than their hazing counterparts.

There are ASTM tests that products can be subjected to, that will provide exacting data regarding their protective characteristics
against salt, acid rain, detergents...and most any other items that manufacturers are willing to pay for.

Don't know what WOWA products have, or have not, undergone such ASTM testing.

:)

Bob

07gtcs
11-02-2013, 10:15 AM
How would one gage protection against salt, acid rain, mineral deposits, chemicals, detergents, iron deposits, etc. ?

ZeroSP
11-02-2013, 10:29 AM
How would one gage protection against salt, acid rain, mineral deposits, chemicals, detergents, iron deposits, etc. ?

I guess for chem and detergents, just apply for a few days then wash it down with something like OPC or Super Degreaser?

For salt and minerals etc, maybe one can try if they are free enough to re-detail their car by letting watermarks happen or so on, just see how long it takes.

FUNX650
11-02-2013, 10:52 AM
One way, IMO, would be in trying to duplicate, as far as feasible,
the ASTM tests for each of the particular "contaminates" listed.

For example: Protection against salt/corrosion:

ASTM B 117: Standard Practice for Operating Salt Spray (Fog) Apparatus
ASTM G 85-A5: Standard Practice for Modified Salt Spray (Fog) Testing (Prohesion)

:)

Bob

PiPUK
11-02-2013, 10:53 AM
This is rather complex, I am afraid. The requirement to buff most products does not mean much beyond them not drying in a transparent manner. The truth is that many products which haze (or similar) do not actually do a whole lot of protecting.

From my perspective, any of the products we have done which would fall into this type are purely protective products. What they are not are products to give a lot of optical enhancement. It is actually more of a challenge to make a WOWA shine than it is to make it protect.

KillaCam
11-02-2013, 12:03 PM
Look at opti coat. It is practically WOWA and it's nearly indestructible. Just because a product disappears into the paint and there's no residue to wipe away doesn't mean it's not doing a good job of protecting.

cleanmycorolla
11-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Crystal Deal, UPGP, and Wolfgang Liquid Seal are some really awesome sealants. I'd say for price per application and looks and durability I'd consider them above many other sealants.