PDA

View Full Version : Lake Country pads - priming, spurring & cleaning help

Pages : [1] 2

cheekyage
11-01-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi all,

I've just purchased a number of brand new Lake Country pads and looking to get some advice on them for pre, during and post machine polishing.

1) New pad - Do I need to prime the pad before using it for the first time? I have seen video tutorials that don't show this. They just add their 3-4 pea sized drops of polish product onto the brand new pad and away they go.

2) Spur the pad? - How often is it recommended to spur the pads?

3) Maintenance - Do you need to wash or clean your pads after every machine polish?

Appreciate any info :)

Cosmin
11-01-2013, 10:58 PM
if you use the pad first time , you may have to spread the product evenly on the pad surface , just light. than you add the product you plan using.
sometime is good to spray some qd for extra lube , or as prime.

i clean my pad every 1-2 panels.
i sparay some window cleaner evenly , than da in one hand , a rag/mf towel in the other hand and i get the pad like new in a few seconds, no bucket wash or other stories.
just easy on the fly.
i may switch between 2 pads , let one in the sun and so on.
the only problem with Velcro i have if is overheated from da, but never from this cleaning method.

after i am done with polish i leave the pad clean.

cheekyage
11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Would I not need to use a pad conditioning brush to clean the pad?

Also, I couldn't find any 'How-To' videos on spurring or pad cleaning...can anyone also point me in the right direction?

goodinblack
11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
You using foam?

I use LC CSS

Use and then hand wash with dial soap and let dry

cheekyage
11-01-2013, 11:14 PM
You using foam?

I use LC CSS

Use and then hand wash with dial soap and let dry

Sorry, yes - forgot to mention I am using foam CCS pads

cardaddy
11-02-2013, 12:32 AM
Hi all,

I've just purchased a number of brand new Lake Country pads and looking to get some advice on them for pre, during and post machine polishing.

1) New pad - Do I need to prime the pad before using it for the first time? I have seen video tutorials that don't show this. They just add their 3-4 pea sized drops of polish product onto the brand new pad and away they go.

3) Maintenance - Do you need to wash or clean your pads after every machine polish?

OK, look here. How to prime a foam pad when using a da polisher. (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

Basically you want this;
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1110/PrimingPad06.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1110/PrimingPad07.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1110/PrimingPad10.jpg
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1110/PrimingPad11.jpg

First pass you use the 3-drops to spread product over the area to be worked. If it seems like too much you may not even need the 3-drops.

Then one product seems to like a pad primed just like this and another may like a bit less priming. I've seen guys that put an X on the pad right at the start and nothing more.

FWIW that is Pinnacle polish in the photo, but looks a lot like Menzerna. ;)

cheekyage
11-02-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks heaps cardaddy.

Is it absolutely necessary to prime the pad or can I just stick the pad on the machine and away I go?

Also, what about spurring the pad? Are they any instructional or how-to guides for this?

And lastly, when you refer to a 'pass'...do you mean a pass of a taped off section? Or a 'pass' starting at one end of a section to another (left to right), nothing more.

cardaddy
11-02-2013, 02:07 AM
Thanks heaps cardaddy.

Is it absolutely necessary to prime the pad or can I just stick the pad on the machine and away I go?

Also, what about spurring the pad? Are they any instructional or how-to guides for this?

And lastly, when you refer to a 'pass'...do you mean a pass of a taped off section? Or a 'pass' starting at one end of a section to another (left to right), nothing more.

You MUST prime the pad to some degree, ALWAYS.

Spurring or brushing will become something you do by the feel of it. I use both. It's just something you do to loosen up the spent product in the pad to help remove it. That and clean on the fly. (Check Mike Phillips threads and videos for the clean on the fly instructions.)

Referring to a 'pass' is one complete coverage of the area you are working. Keep a small area, something like between your shoulders about 20" wide by 20" deep is a good starting area. Work left to right, top to bottom would be the first 'pass'. Then start bottom to top right to left. Overlap each pass about 50% of the pad width keeping up your pad rotation speed and nice even, slow arm speed.

Working with Menz you'll get the first 2 to 3 passes in with machine speed on say 4.5 ~5.0 then the last 1~2 passes speed it up about a .5 from where you were and do a little lighter pressure.

KS_Detailing
11-02-2013, 06:02 AM

I clean my pads after every section with the grit guard pad washer.

Dawn power dissolver works great:dblthumb2:

stilltipping3
11-02-2013, 06:10 AM
Hi all,

There is a video on mike Phillips doing everything u ask. Youtube it!!

BillE
11-02-2013, 07:03 AM
Not to get into a fight with Tony ("cardaddy"), but I must say do NOT use a spur on foam pads. As you become more familiar with the pads, THEN you may want to spur 'em. But, in the beginning, cleaning on the fly is the safest method.

Bill

cardaddy
11-02-2013, 12:37 PM
Not to get into a fight with Tony ("cardaddy"), but I must say do NOT use a spur on foam pads. As you become more familiar with the pads, THEN you may want to spur 'em. But, in the beginning, cleaning on the fly is the safest method.

Bill

No worries Bill, it's all cool. :dblthumb2:

That's why I said it is something you learn by the 'feel' of it. Some pads take to spurring better with the plastic spur (do NOT use the metal spur that one uses on wool rotary pads, EVER).

As you know, some pads absorb and some don't. The really soft pads imho can take a plastic spur and more towards cleaning on the fly. They tend to fall apart though with a pad cleaning brush, especially when they are hot and loaded with product. The harder ones though tend to need the spur and brush to loosen up embedded material. :dunno:

cheekyage
11-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks heaps guys for your very helpful replies :)

What is the best way to clean the pads on the fly?

ski2
11-02-2013, 10:28 PM
This video by Mike should help http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/20135-how-clean-your-foam-pad-fly.html I also like to use a Denture Brush from the Dollar Store--works great and doesn't damage the pads.

BillE
11-03-2013, 07:41 AM
No worries Bill, it's all cool. :dblthumb2:

That's why I said it is something you learn by the 'feel' of it. Some pads take to spurring better with the plastic spur (do NOT use the metal spur that one uses on wool rotary pads, EVER).

As you know, some pads absorb and some don't. The really soft pads imho can take a plastic spur and more towards cleaning on the fly. They tend to fall apart though with a pad cleaning brush, especially when they are hot and loaded with product. The harder ones though tend to need the spur and brush to loosen up embedded material. :dunno:

Plastic? I must admit that is sumthin' I didn't know about.

Thanx for the clarification Tony. :dblthumb2:

Bill